Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I made the decision to shut down my detailing venture for the winter season as I do every winter. All of my car cleaning supplies and equipment has been put into storage in my basement.

I had an "experience" with an Audi S4 that cost me $400 to make right (I cleaned the engine compartment, the check engine light came on, the owner took the car to the Audi dealership and told her that 6 of the coil packs needed replacement, she had them done and asked me to reimburse her... she handed me the receipts; I did out of principal).

I am really debating about continuing it next spring on the level that I have had in the past.

I may just provide detailing services for a few select clients... those who appreciate the work I do for them and maintain the cleanliness of their vehicles to near Autopian levels.

For me, detailing is a paying hobby.. and I can really appreacite those who do it for a living and look up to Todd, Ryan, Scott, Accumulator and far too many detailers on this board and can only strive to reach their professional level!

Gentlemen.. thank you for the inspiration!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, sounds like you got off cheap for a dealer coil pack change. I would have thought the parts alone would be more than that (talking out my butt because the only coil packs I`ve had replaced were covered under warranty).

If you have all your stuff put away, you won`t even do anything on your personal vehicles until spring? Not even a quick firehouse wash ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I do have a "care package" of car cleaning supplies in my office at the firehouse.

I will be detailing and cleaning my own personal vehicles at the firehouse. We are allowed to do them on nights and weekends.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m always hesitant to perform engine shampoos and this is the reason why. It`s difficult enough machining paint worth thousands of dollars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about the mishap. It seems like it was something on the horizon just waiting to occur though. I question the compentancy of the mechanic that all 6 of the coil packs needed to be replaced.

Anyhow I take heed from your story and will be extra careful when doing the engine of an Audi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Coil pack problems are hugely common on early to mid 2000 Audi`s and VW`s. I understand why you paid, but it is unlikely that you caused the issue. I`d chalk it up to a crummy learning situation and continue detailing, since you obviously enjoy it. Maybe be even more selective about your clients, or stop doing engine shampoos?
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by howareb
    Sorry to hear about the mishap. It seems like it was something on the horizon just waiting to occur though. I question the compentancy of the mechanic that all 6 of the coil packs needed to be replaced.

Anyhow I take heed from your story and will be extra careful when doing the engine of an Audi.

I`m presuming there is a family resemblence to the VW coil packs that were the subject of a huge recall and shortage causing lots of cars to be sidelined waiting for new coils.

Post Thanks / Like
    VAG coil packs will fry if you sneeze near them. especially in the 99-2005 range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    I`m presuming there is a family resemblence to the VW coil packs that were the subject of a huge recall and shortage causing lots of cars to be sidelined waiting for new coils.

Thanks Setec as always. That information is good to know.

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t like washing engines - and don`t, primarily for this reason. Even if the issue isn`t caused by me, the client will remember I was the last one in there, and that I hosed that engine down.

The only thing I will do is to use damp rags and a few brushes with a squirt bottle of water / ONR to do a wipe down of the engine bay. I will then dress plastic covers with a water based dressing. I just don`t want the liability of saturating an engine with water.
    Ridding the world of swirls, one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    That nothing it cost me $600 to replace a wiper on a Porsche Cayenne.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW proper business insurance will cover accidental damage like that. Obviously you have to make the decision whether it is worth the potential increase in your rate for claiming but sometimes it`s worth it.

I recently was handed a bill for over $1000 to replace a motor that controls the audio/nav screen on an A8 (with 90,000 miles no less). I turned that one in to my insurance, only had to pay my $100 deductible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior
    I don`t like washing engines - and don`t, primarily for this reason. Even if the issue isn`t caused by me, the client will remember I was the last one in there, and that I hosed that engine down.

The only thing I will do is to use damp rags and a few brushes with a squirt bottle of water / ONR to do a wipe down of the engine bay. I will then dress plastic covers with a water based dressing. I just don`t want the liability of saturating an engine with water.

Same here. Besides, I may get asked once or twice (seriously!) to clean an engine.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    A similiar thing happened to me of a late nineties VW. Detailed the engine and inevitably the check engine light came on and the rear power window regulator broke while cleaning the window (apparantly a commonplace problem with that vintage). Fortunately the check engine light turned off the following morning, but I was stuck with replacing the window regulator. I try to avoid doing details with that generation VW`s for that reason and am much more cognizant about engine details.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an FYI when doing a `97-01 Mercedes. There is a transmission computer right under the shifter, you get it wet and it is $1000 to replace. It was mentioned in a trade magazine.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information