Ok guys...I`m trying to figure this one out.

I detailed a 2002 Lexus RX300 that had a silver/charcoal lower half two tone. The front and rear bumpers were insanely dull looking, and I couldn`t decide if it was severe oxidation, or single stage faded and unloved paint.

I ended up doing a very light 3,000 wet sand, followed by LC CCS orange with M86 via rotary, followed by 106ff on LC CCS white via rotary as well.

I did notice my pads picked up some color, but I`m not 100% sure if it was paint or possibly contamination or the 106FF. (Althought it was on BOTH pads....). I just couldn`t tell for sure if it was paint transfer or not.

It gained some gloss, but just didn`t look quite right.

I did some searching on Autopia and it looks like every single car with that color bumpers has the same, dull looking finish. The texture and gloss just seemed so weird to me. :think:

Can anyone confirm if this paint is cleared, or single stage? The top of the car definitely has clearcoat.

Here is a pic from Scottwax`s detail with the same bumper/color:

And here are some from mine (Which my GF took not really trying hard to showcase the issue).

...and after polishing:

The reason I need to figure it out is that it has been a few weeks and the owner took a long road trip, and when she got back (it belongs to my girlfriend`s parents) my GF said the bumpers looked similar to what they did before I buffed them again. I need to find the best solution to this paint! :nervous2: