Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, mods plz remove or move if this is in the wrong spot or no allowed, but what do u guys think about showing the prices we charge when we do a write up? i mean we tell everything else and i think some of the "non-veterans" would benefit on how to price details to highend carwashes. Plus potential customers would see this and have a idea on what a possible detail from a real detailer would cost. I hope people dont think this is way to see how much others are making but a way we can all make the money we deserve for our love and hard work. all comments and advice welcomed
    Setting The Standard Higher

Post Thanks / Like
    I was told by a very good and respected detailer that you charge what you feel like you are worth, and when you prove that to a customer, you can charge whatever you want. It`s all about proving you`re worthy of that figure, and once they see that, they`ll have no problem paying
    Aaron

Owner- AC Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 to that

little guys like me just trying to break into things while learning a lot about how to do various jobs, what products to use, and maybe more imporant: what NOT to do and what NOT to use, aren`t going to charge as much.

the big wigs out there have a much higher demand and therefor can charge what they want: their clients most def have the money to have fist rate service.

i`m thinking it might be a good idea... though might cause some flaming/envy?

Post Thanks / Like
    I like reading what others charge.

It gives a nice idea on how much the reader should be charging when their work level is up to par.

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, my personal opinion is that it would become a pi$$ing contest of who was charging the most, and a lot of embellishing would be going on.
    Ridding the world of swirls, one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by d00t
    I was told by a very good and respected detailer that you charge what you feel like you are worth, and when you prove that to a customer, you can charge whatever you want. It`s all about proving you`re worthy of that figure, and once they see that, they`ll have no problem paying

Sounds a bit like a pipe dream to me.

Determining price incorporates factors like target market, local/national economic conditions, cost/level of products, travel, skill level, competitors, brand image, etc.

When you are at the level of Todd (TH0001), statements like above hold a bit more true.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really don`t care what an Autopian charges for his details. I am more interested in the techniques and products used to make the car look the best and the client happy.

The pricing is going to depend anyway on geographic areas anyway. It`s just going to turn into a bunch of chest pumping to see who is charging the most and will take away from the real reasons we are here.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by G35stilez
    Sounds a bit like a pipe dream to me.

Determining price incorporates factors like target market, local/national economic conditions, cost/level of products, travel, skill level, competitors, brand image, etc.

When you are at the level of Todd (TH0001), statements like above hold a bit more true.

Sean, I was the one who told him this... lol, but you are seriously too kind.

I do not think the amount charged should be posted in the Click and Brags. In fact if you looked at my old threads, I would dodge this question over and over. Recentely I have elluded to it, only because I would get PMs like crazy asking me...

Also I wanted to address this statement, as it stuck out

i think some of the "non-veterans" would benefit on how to price details to highend carwashes. Plus potential customers would see this and have a idea on what a possible detail from a real detailer would cost.

I understand what you are saying and where you are going... but....

If you are relaying for other peoples prices to justify your own you are also allowing other peoples limits to set your own limits. You need to figure out what you are worth, anazlye your market and formulate a plan to attack it. Two years ago (pre Paul Dalton) the average concensous was around 250-400 for hard core detail. Now I know newer guys (who are learning, but doing VERY quality work) who are charging 300 for a 1-step polish and correction. The are asking (and getting) 500-600 for full corrections...

It is almost like the whole 4 minute mile thing (or whatever it was). Scientists believed it was impossible for humans to run the mile under 4 minutes, and for years and years people tried. The year after it was broke, I think something like 3 other people did it. The reason is because we set our limitations based on other peoples limiations and experiences (which set our own barriers). Do not worry about what anybody else charges and worry more about what you are doing and how you are going to charge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, when I firsted started my detailing business. I was always asking guys what they charged and how long it took them to complete a full detail. Now that I`ve been in business going on my 6th year. I understand the answers I got. Every detail is different. Car, paint , color, clear, client request, etc. I do not believe there is such a thing as a standard price. Unless, you run your business the same way everday. Like an In - Bay automatic. A certain amount to start the machine,and continually add money to keep it going. This too has variables. There are some things that can not be standardized. I just try do do Good Quality work, Please the client, continue to improve, and ask for a fair price for my services. Time required to complete a vehicle is the last thing I worry about. I do look at my watch occassinally to gauge myself, and my processes and proceedures, and I do try to become more effective and efficient. But I do not sacrifice Quality. " A Man is worthy of His hire."

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent comment, Todd. :xyxthumbs My less-than-two-cents worth: I`ve read that the reason most start up businesses (not just detailing) fail is that the owners tend to under-price (read: under value) their services. It`s a cheesy old cliche`, but people really will pay for quality - a customer that goes strictly on price gets just what he deserves.

I own a business in an unrelated service industry and it took me a long time to learn to price fairly (for me) and not drop my prices just to get jobs. That sets you up for failure. Easy to say but hard to practice - I know what starting out is like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by karburn
    Excellent comment, Todd. :xyxthumbs My less-than-two-cents worth: I`ve read that the reason most start up businesses (not just detailing) fail is that the owners tend to under-price (read: under value) their services. It`s a cheesy old cliche`, but people really will pay for quality - a customer that goes strictly on price gets just what he deserves.

I own a business in an unrelated service industry and it took me a long time to learn to price fairly (for me) and not drop my prices just to get jobs. That sets you up for failure. Easy to say but hard to practice - I know what starting out is like

+1 on this post. Todd again hits the nail on the head and you followed up nicely. Just do some research on the detailers sites from this forum and google, and you get an idea what people charge..:work:
    My profession and obsession

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior
    Well, my personal opinion is that it would become a pi$$ing contest of who was charging the most, and a lot of embellishing would be going on.

I agree. I can see it now, "I charged more than Paul Dalton would have" in nearly every thread.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    I agree. I can see it now, "I charged more than Paul Dalton would have" in nearly every thread.

haha...classic

Thread Information