Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Im looking for pros opinion here on the whole bonding issue of sealants over glazes.

First question:

If you use a glaze will a sealant bond over it? I know that ZCS and OS will but what about sealants like NXTv.2, #21 v.2, Werkstatt, Z2/Z5 and UPP?

Second question:

Now if you use an AIO first like ZAIO, Werkstatt Prime or Klasse AIO can you use a glaze over that? I guess logic tells me that the glaze really would not fill that well unless its in direct contact with the paint. With an AIO on there its not going to have that contact.

These are questions I know have been asked before but I am not sure that I have really ever read a response from the pros. Where Im going with this is that I like glazes and what they produce but my clients what the protection of sealants, not waxes so I would like to use both without compromising more than 50% of the longevity of the sealant (yes I know there are other factors but just a ballpark.)

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    LongHorn,

I have never known of a true "glaze" that did anything under an LSP. A true glaze, by definition, is designed to be an LSP. Glazes were originally developed as a non-protective LSP for fresh (uncured) paint and as a high-gloss shine by show car owners.

Body shops often use glazes as a final shine step before giving a repaired vehicle back to it`s owner because they do a great job hiding swirls. So, it`s a way of getting a car out fast without completing the job. Most customers never notice a few days later when the swirls appear.

If you lay down a glaze then apply another LSP containing 10-15% solvent, the solvent is going to remove the glaze. Unlike sealants, glazes do not cure to a hard finish. They remain oily. Under an oily wax like P21S or Souveran, the glaze might do some good with more filling capability than the wax itself.

db

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    LongHorn,

I have never known of a true "glaze" that did anything under an LSP. A true glaze, by definition, is designed to be an LSP. Glazes were originally developed as a non-protective LSP for fresh (uncured) paint and as a high-gloss shine by show car owners.

Body shops often use glazes as a final shine step before giving a repaired vehicle back to it`s owner because they do a great job hiding swirls. So, it`s a way of getting a car out fast without completing the job. Most customers never notice a few days later when the swirls appear.

If you lay down a glaze then apply another LSP containing 10-15% solvent, the solvent is going to remove the glaze. Unlike sealants, glazes do not cure to a hard finish. They remain oily. Under an oily wax like P21S or Souveran, the glaze might do some good with more filling capability than the wax itself.

db
    Thank you that is great information to have. But now I have to ask the question how is it that you find out what the solvent percentage is in the sealant of your choice?

My typical sealants are Z2/Z5/ZCS, OS, Megs #21 v.2.0 and 4 Start UPP (love the slickness and so do clients.)

I guess my main reason for asing is I really really like Clearkotes RMG and VM but I want to put a sealant on over it to give a harder shine you get from sealants and the increased durability from them.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    LongHorn,

db

I am confused now. See this from Detailed Image re Glaze:

Glaze

While many products will state they are glazes very few actually are. Glazes are designed specifically to fill in imperfections in the clear coat to give the appearance of perfectly finished paint. While any wax will fill in some scratches and swirl marks, glazes have special ingredients that cling to imperfections in the clear coat and fill them in for maximum shine. You should always lock in a glaze by applying a sealant or wax on top of them.

And this from Detail University re exterior car care:

Full Exterior - Pre-Wash Treatment, Wash, Dry, Clay Bar, Compound Polish, Cutting Polish, Finishing Polish, Glaze, Sealant, Wax, Clean and Dress Tires, Clean and Dress Trim, Clean Wiper Blades, Scrub Wheel Wells, Clean and Protect Glass, Polish and Protect Metals, Polish and Protect Wheels)

What is DWG? Real, or not? Should be applied before sealant, or last in process?

This is what the Danase web site says about DWG:

Danase Wet Glaze is a pure gloss enhancer. It isn`t a polish and it sure isn`t a glaze like you have ever used before. It is made with acrylic polymers that form a very strong bond to the vehicles surface so you are sure it will not wash away like other glazes. The polymers also allow Wet Glaze to do something that you can`t even think about doing with other glazes. They allow it to be topped with a wax or sealant without any bonding or application issues! That means no streaky mess when trying to wax or seal on top of this glaze! Top Wet Glaze with your favorite wax or sealant for added protection and appearance...OR you can even use Wet Glaze on top of your favorite wax or sealant for added durability and appearance to them as well! And if that isn`t enough Wet Glaze also repels dust! Wet Glaze applies so easy that is almost seems to melt right into the paint. You won`t believe how wet your vehicle looks after an application of Wet Glaze.

That definitive answer is illusive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rjom
    I am confused now. See this from Detailed Image re Glaze:

Glaze

While many products will state they are glazes very few actually are. Glazes are designed specifically to fill in imperfections in the clear coat to give the appearance of perfectly finished paint. While any wax will fill in some scratches and swirl marks, glazes have special ingredients that cling to imperfections in the clear coat and fill them in for maximum shine. You should always lock in a glaze by applying a sealant or wax on top of them.

And this from Detail University re exterior car care:

Full Exterior - Pre-Wash Treatment, Wash, Dry, Clay Bar, Compound Polish, Cutting Polish, Finishing Polish, Glaze, Sealant, Wax, Clean and Dress Tires, Clean and Dress Trim, Clean Wiper Blades, Scrub Wheel Wells, Clean and Protect Glass, Polish and Protect Metals, Polish and Protect Wheels)

What is DWG? Real, or not? Should be applied before sealant, or last in process?

This is what the Danase web site says about DWG:

Danase Wet Glaze is a pure gloss enhancer. It isn`t a polish and it sure isn`t a glaze like you have ever used before. It is made with acrylic polymers that form a very strong bond to the vehicles surface so you are sure it will not wash away like other glazes. The polymers also allow Wet Glaze to do something that you can`t even think about doing with other glazes. They allow it to be topped with a wax or sealant without any bonding or application issues! That means no streaky mess when trying to wax or seal on top of this glaze! Top Wet Glaze with your favorite wax or sealant for added protection and appearance...OR you can even use Wet Glaze on top of your favorite wax or sealant for added durability and appearance to them as well! And if that isn`t enough Wet Glaze also repels dust! Wet Glaze applies so easy that is almost seems to melt right into the paint. You won`t believe how wet your vehicle looks after an application of Wet Glaze.

That definitive answer is illusive!
    As I recall the DWG isnt a "true" glaze per say.

Thread Information