Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive been finding that as of late details are taking longer and longer. How much do you fuss when someone just wants a one step, not a total correction. I just feel like if I dont do a bigger correction even when doing just a one step the customer is going to be pissed. I realize you have to set the table up front but Im just curious how you all handle situations like that and how you cut down on your time.

Morgan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes it`s tough to stop at a one step or for the customer that wants `just a detail`, but as a business owner you`ve always got to have the bottom line in mind. As an Autopian maybe secondary to the final result, but your paycheck is still a priority.

Providing a `customer` clean and `detailer` clean are two different processes, and should be treated accordingly. If it`s a matter of how much they want to spend or the car only needing a one step, the customer is usually satisfied as long as the paint is `shiny` and uniform.

As long as you explain to the customer that heavy problem areas might not be resolved with the package they`ve requested and they understand that, you`re good. Personally, if they don`t give me any **** I`ll spot compound a few areas prior to the one step to be nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by -Longhorn-
    Ive been finding that as of late details are taking longer and longer. How much do you fuss when someone just wants a one step, not a total correction. I just feel like if I dont do a bigger correction even when doing just a one step the customer is going to be pissed. I realize you have to set the table up front but Im just curious how you all handle situations like that and how you cut down on your time.

I`m not sure what exactly you`re asking... are you asking for tips on how to cut detailing time or tips on how to do exactly what you charged for and not more haha?

I find the best way is to do a test spot for a client and see what they want to do... just be very thorough and explain every possible outcome, price, etc... most of the time when a client sees a 1-step next to a 2-step they`ll go for the 2-step immediately, since it`s at least 2x better. Honesty counts and definitely don`t sell yourself short...

That said, I tend to do an extra step if the client is leaving the car for a long time (just recently one client went on vacation so I had to keep his car for 7-8 days instead of 10hrs.)... I do the extra step simply because I have the car for a while, it`s good practice, and I have nothing better to do than practice detailing some more...
    <p class="bbc_center">Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">(773) 715-4198</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">info@lustrdetail.com</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">www.LUSTRDetail.com
    Chicago, Illinois

Â`</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Post Thanks / Like
    the hardest thing for me right now is stopping and not trying to get the car the best I can. For instance if a customer pays for a "mini detail" (quick 1 step) then I have a hard time just doing that, but like was already said Paycheck first. A way to combat this is show them the difference between 1 step and 2 step, and like was again already said they will most likely choose the 2 step any day of the week!

To cut down on time, some things I`ve learned are:

Pet Hair Removal - rubber gloves you can spray the glove with water and get an even better effect vs just using the glove dry (surgical type or dish washing type) and liquid fabric softner mixed with water (let dry and vacuum away)

Exterior Glass Cleaning - Do it while you ONR the car...decent glass cleaner

Interior Glass Cleaning - If you use ONR on the dash, then ONR the inside glass, if not then Stoners IG works very well for interior and exterior glass.

Dash / Plastics - ONR works well for this

Convertible Tops - ONR or I use Super Green Stuff from Majestic Solutions cut 3:1 and spray and scrub, takes 15 minutes maybe 30 on a really bad top.

Tires/Wheels/Wells - I use the same cleaner for all of these, I use Red Max cut 3:1 or 5:1 from Majestic Solutions and scrub and rinse done. I only do insides of rims on full corrections, so tires/wheels/wells might take 30 minutes for the whole car. I spray wheel A down and then spray wheel B and then go back to A and scrub/rinse then repeat on B.

Applying Liquid Wax - never by hand always with my UDM and a blue pad

Sealants - I use UPGP so this takes 10 minutes on a LARGE car

Polishing - This isn`t a time saver but a product saver, I learned that you dont need a HUGE line of polish on a pad, 4 simple PEA sized dots will do the trick. same goes for liquid waxes and other things done via machine. Wasting product costs money and in my business the less I use the more I make

Anytime I can use one product to safely do multiple jobs the less time I spend getting another one out and ready to use and the quicker I can get the Job done, thus maximizing my profit protential.

Post Thanks / Like
    The way I do things is if I tried to sell them a more inovled package (because I thought it really needed it) and they still said no after I went through why I thought it would need more than what they are selecting then I give them exactly what they paid for. Now if they only had "x" amount to spend on a detail (i.e. it was a gift for someone) then I usually toss in a few extra`s up to a point. If they buy a wash wax and vac I`m not going to detail the thing. However I might use a better wax or something. It really all comes down to how much is your time worth. If your over charging (heaven forbid LOL) and have extra time at the end toss in a few. If your cutting your own throat already do what`s bought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great advice guys thank you. I think what I need to find is a good one step product that will remove some defects and leave behind a decent shine as well with protection.

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I try to do is to read the customer when we are evaluating the car together when I arrive to see what they are looking for. I recently detailed a car for a lady, and from the second I arrived, she was telling me how bad the carpet and leather was, and how she really hoped it would come clean. She pointed to a couple of scratches on the exterior, but spent 75% of our conversation talking about the interior.

For this customer, I ended up going above and beyond on the interior (polished ash trays, etc...), and didn`t put as much effort into the exterior. On the exterior, I washed and clayed, then spot buffed a lot of scratches and scuffs with the rotary, then gave it a light polishing with the PC, and then a coat of wax. Of course, I dressed the wells and tires, and polished the wheels too.

The lady was thrilled with the results, and I finished the detail in a reasonable amount of time (for what she was paying).
    Ridding the world of swirls, one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to be firm. Don`t perform two steps for the price of one. Do only what you`re paid to do. That being said, if the car needs two or more steps, inform the client of this. When they say they only want one step, make sure they know what they`re getting.

I now use ONR because it takes less time to perform a wash and leaves the windows crystal clean and highly reflective. So, it takes a much smaller chunk out of correction, is better for the environment, and looks better. In my opinion, it`s a no brainer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior
    One thing I try to do is to read the customer when we are evaluating the car together when I arrive to see what they are looking for. I recently detailed a car for a lady, and from the second I arrived, she was telling me how bad the carpet and leather was, and how she really hoped it would come clean. She pointed to a couple of scratches on the exterior, but spent 75% of our conversation talking about the interior.

For this customer, I ended up going above and beyond on the interior (polished ash trays, etc...), and didn`t put as much effort into the exterior. On the exterior, I washed and clayed, then spot buffed a lot of scratches and scuffs with the rotary, then gave it a light polishing with the PC, and then a coat of wax. Of course, I dressed the wells and tires, and polished the wheels too.

The lady was thrilled with the results, and I finished the detail in a reasonable amount of time (for what she was paying).

reading the customer is possible the best tip one could get. If you read the customer and know what they are looking for then you should have no problem thrilling them beyond belief!

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading the customer is key.Most of the time after they tell you what is important to them , they will let you tell them what they need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Holden_C04
    You have to be firm. Don`t perform two steps for the price of one. Do only what you`re paid to do. That being said, if the car needs two or more steps, inform the client of this. When they say they only want one step, make sure they know what they`re getting.

I now use ONR because it takes less time to perform a wash and leaves the windows crystal clean and highly reflective. So, it takes a much smaller chunk out of correction, is better for the environment, and looks better. In my opinion, it`s a no brainer.

Agree completely. I`d love to make everyone`s car perfect but first and foremost, this is a business. Think of it like going to a restaurant. The server recommends steak but you are on a hamburger budget. They aren`t bringing you out a steak if you order a hamburger even though they know you`d be happier with the steak.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem is we are high maintence car lovers and don`t like to settle for less than the best.

that said, if you do MUCH more than they paid for you will find this standard becomes the new standard at your price point.

As scottwax has always stated find a way to out do yourself, just dont overdo it.
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg- i dont think its about over doing or out doing yourself. i feel it is more over exeeding the customers expectations. i did a car yesterday that was just supposed to be a wash and vac, well i saw some places on the roof and hood that needed claying. there were small spots of red paint, on a tan car. well i thought i did a crap job because the car needed full claying, correction, wax and everything else, that i expect. well point of the story is; i over met the customers expectations and when i showed her that i got the paint off she made a comment as to now she wouldnt mind keeping the car instead of selling it. her expectation was- wash and vac. i took 5-10 mins and clayed it, poorly but i got the spots out. now she is going to bring it in next week for a full interior and maybe correction. i gave her a peek as to what i could do if i was paid and given time with the car and she saw the value in it.

i always use this line to the customer upon talking with them: what do you want out of this detail? if he says wash and wax only, then wash and wax he gets. but i do explain how much better it could be or maybe do one little section to show them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a car this past weekend a Toyota Corola (1999) and it was a simple wash and wax job and I took the time to polish out head lights and clayed the hood and trunk for her. She was thrilled and didn`t know what to say. She said she would be bringing it back for future work and correction.

Going the extra mile is truely a good thing and thrills the customer, and when they are happy they come back and spend more money!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalker25
    When they are happy they come back and spend more money!

SOOOO true!

I also would like to suggest being organized with all your products and tools. Before my partner suggested, I had all of my stuff in two big containers, and it was always a pain finding specific things. I have specific small duffel bags for specific products. Waxes, sealants, and polishes in one bag, dressings, window cleaners, etc... in another bag, polishers in another bag, and towels in yet another bag.

You should also consider getting a buddy to help you. Pay them fairly and your times should be cut significantly. They don`t even have to be that skilled. One time I had a friend simply wipe off polish residue and applied wax...that saves time in the long run. That hour he spent with me was $10-15 and I still have some energy in me. Increase your prices to offset the cost of the buddy. A little less profit is ok imo if you can finish a vehicle in a reasonable amount of time.
    Not an ordinary teen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information