Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I am slowly trying to start a part-time mobile detail business and because of a lack of storage space at home, I`m thinking of doing this out of the back of my 2000 Dodge Durango. I was thinking of putting a 50 gallon water tank along with a pressure washer and generator. Do you think it`s possible to fit everything in the back? There is currently a third row of seats which I`m thinking of taking out. Here`s how much room I`ll have to work with and the water tank I`m thinking about.

Does anyone have any experience with having a mobile setup out of an SUV?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 19999 Durango and thought about a similar setup, and one of the main challenges that I ran into had to do with the exhausting of fumes from the generator. So I came up with an idea of how to get around that by using a hitch rack with a ramp along with a smaller water tank. My setup was just in case I had to go mobile so I just thought it up but never had to do it. Here is the list of what I came up with:

WHEELCHAIR-SCOOTER MOBILITY CARRIER RACK-RAMP-2"HITCH - eBay (item 230263924388 end time Jun-27-08 08:37:39 PDT)

or

Wheelchair Trailer Hitch Carrier Rack with ramp NEW - eBay (item 120274117285 end time Jun-27-08 19:05:00 PDT)

and pick a water tank

16 Gallon Auto Detail/Pressure Wash Tank (RA-36W)

Some notes to keep in mind when sizing your tank to use on the rack. Most of the racks have a weight limit of 500 pounds. So you have to take that into consideration if you plan on putting your water tank on the hitch rack. You also have to consider the fact that you need enough clearance to open the rear door, because though you can move the generator off of the hitch rack, you will most likely leave the water tank left on the hitch rack.

Getting back to the weight, water weighs about 8.35 pounds per gallon. so a 16 gallon tank (may weigh in at 40 pounds without water) with water would come in at about 173.6. Leaving you with an allowance for a 326.4 pound generator. You could go with a larger tank but remember that you have to have enough clearance for the rear hatch door so watch you tank height.

This setup I feel would work pretty well, because it allows you the freedom to put the generator anywhere you need to, but you also could just leave it on the rack. You could also add a pressure washer to the rack if you do not have too large of a generator. This also protects the interior of the SUV from damage. I would get a husky cargo liner also, if you do not have one.

Just to be clear this has only been a theory for me and I have not had to actually try it. I may consider this for mobile detail once my business is off the ground. It is a good way to save some extra dollars. I would only really recommend a rig like this for someone doing a small amount of mobile details, or part time like yourself.

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I detail out of this...

I do QEW and ONR washes, so I only carry about 6 gallons of water (I have a small 6 gallon tank). I have room for a generator, but don`t carry one. I just hook up at the customer`s house. As a matter of fact, I did a detail at a hotel on Wednesday, and the management there was very hospitable, and had no problem with me hooking up to their power. I have never had a problem using someone`s power. As a matter of fact, I have detailed in some neighborhoods where the houses are very close together, and have had neighbors come over and thank me for not running a generator all day.

The only reason I mention the QEW or ONR washes, and using the customer`s power, is that if you are on a budget, and just starting out, it`s a good way to go. You don`t want to get in too deep with equipment before you get a steady clientel.

Just my opinion - Good Luck!!!
    Ridding the world of swirls, one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^^ agreed 100%

i detail out of a nissan xterra with a 16 gallon tank doing ONR washes, hook up to their power, have two bins for products and towels, extractor, vacuum, hoses, and one bag for tools...its nice to be able to cruise through a drive through if necessary

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow I never even thought of going the ONR route probably because I really didn`t think it worked! When I picture detailing, I imagine lots of water all the time. I think I`m going to research that route some more because not having to carry a pressure washer and minimal water would definitely save room. Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    The other great thing about ONR and QEW, is that you don`t have to worry about water reclaimation systems for the dirty wash water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior
    The other great thing about ONR and QEW, is that you don`t have to worry about water reclaimation systems for the dirty wash water.

Do you have a preference between ONR and QEW? I`m ready to buy some now and try it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    ONR leaves a better looking (slicker) finish, but QEW makes the dirt release from the wash mit better. I feel like you get a safer wash, with a cleaner mit, with QEW. Again, just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    ONR leaves a better looking (slicker) finish, but QEW makes the dirt release from the wash mit better. I feel like you get a safer wash, with a cleaner mit, with QEW. Again, just my opinion.

Great thanks again for all your help. I think I`ll try a bottle of QEW first since their website says I can get it in the RV section at Walmart. I"ll post my thoughts on it soon...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ktorres1120
    Great thanks again for all your help. I think I`ll try a bottle of QEW first since their website says I can get it in the RV section at Walmart. I"ll post my thoughts on it soon...

You are better going the ONR route. I have tried to find QEW throughout many different Walmarts in the country (I traveled for my job), and I have had no luck finding it. I hope that your experience is different than mine.

ONR or QEW are great routes to take. Many detailers on here use ONR instead of doing traditional washes. In practice also, most customers do not mind you hooking into their power. However it is supposedly perceived to be "more professional" to have your own water and power. In the end though the results speak for itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by howareb
    You are better going the ONR route. I have tried to find QEW throughout many different Walmarts in the country (I traveled for my job), and I have had not luck finding it. I hope that your experience is different than mine.

I have found it at a few RV places

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by howareb
    You are better going the ONR route. I have tried to find QEW throughout many different Walmarts in the country (I traveled for my job), and I have had not luck finding it. I hope that your experience is different than mine.

ONR or QEW are great routes to take. Many detailers on here use ONR instead of doing traditional washes. In practice also, most customers do not mind you hooking into their power. However it is supposedly perceived to be "more professional" to have your own water and power. In the end though the results speak for itself.

Great thanks for the tip. I`m just going to check the Walmart down the road from my house and if it`s not there, then I`ll end up ordering one or the other online. Maybe one of both and do a comparison thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ28
    I have found it at a few RV places

Yeah they show it at about 10 different RV places here in San Diego also. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

:nixweiss I used QEW for around 11 years and all it took was using ONR a few times for me to switch.

To the OP-I`ve been detailing full time since 1994 out of the trunk of my car because I used QEW and now ONR to do the washing.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    :nixweiss I used QEW for around 11 years and all it took was using ONR a few times for me to switch.

To the OP-I`ve been detailing full time since 1994 out of the trunk of my car because I used QEW and now ONR to do the washing.

I love the way an ONR wash looks. I am just more comfortable seeing more dirt get released from my mitt with the QEW. Makes me at least feel like I am less likely to get marring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information