Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok,

Here`s the deal I have a prospective detail coming up this weekend but the thing is:

-The owner wants me to use all their products instead of mine to do this detail.

-He wants me to make 3 trips to his home during this detail.

-He estimates the paint correction to be anywhere from 12 to 16 hours of labor.

-Only wants the paint, no interior, etc.

So basically I`m asking is what do I charge this prospective client and what issues as far as not producing the same results using another line of products. I`m a Menzerna buff using SIP/106ff, where I believe he said they are all Poor Boy products, that I`ll be using.

Do I charge my normal price to do a 2 step paint correction or do I lower the price to compensate that I`m only bringing my UDM and pads?

I told him I can not guarantee the same results as my previous details since I`m not using Menzerna and such.

What would you guys do?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow - interesting. In this case I`d be inclined to charge an hourly rate, including travel time for the extra trips.

I`m curious - does he usually do his own work but has a health issue or something?

Good luck...I`ll be interested to hear how this one goes.
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would give him an hourly rate so (1) you don`t waste your time on products you`re not familiar with and (2) he`s content knowing that his products are being used on his vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t understand the three trips to his house thing....

Post Thanks / Like
    It may have something to do with the way he normally does his vehicle. I don`t like to see clients with tons of requests. It makes me think that no matter how perfect the job will be, they won`t be satisfied.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would walk away. You are the expert and it is up to you to tell him what you are going to use to make his paint perfect. He is bringing you in as the expert, otherwise he would do it himself. Why would somebody who can`t do it himself be telling you how to do your job. I wouldn`t go to a doctor and tell him what medicine to use on me. I would expect the doctor to hear my concerns, assuage my feelings and take them into consideration, then as the expert prescribe the proper treatment.

Does this make sense?

If he has the experience to estimate how much time it is going to take you, then why isn`t he doing himself.

If you deciede to go through with this, tell him you do not guaranette the results with his products as you often have to change combinations to custom fit your process to the paint and its needs. Charge him by the hour (and no less then 50, IMO) and to car will deterime how much time you need.

If he wants to work with in a budge (say 300 dollars at 50/hr) then give him the best you can in 6 hours, with out doing extra`s.

Post Thanks / Like
    I vote for hourly rate also

Post Thanks / Like
    I vote hourly also, but if it we`re me, I wouldn`t do his cars if I don`t use my own tools/products.
    If you do not change what your doing today, tomorrow will be no different.

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are posting on the professional forum, I assume you are set up as a business, and are possibly insured. I would tell him for liability reasons, I only felt comfortable using the products and techniques that I had experience with from my own arsenal - I would go on to tell him that I don`t like to experiment on customers cars, and that`s essentially what he would have you doing using products you aren`t familiar with. I would also tell him that I charge by the hour, and will be much more efficient using products I am use to.

If he still insists, I would move on to the next customer. This guy has already raised too many red flags, in my opinion, that lead me to believe he will be more trouble than he is worth. I think you could do a killer job on the car with your own products, and he will still probably badmouth you to other people and say things like, "He did a good job, but not as good as if he had used my products."
    Ridding the world of swirls, one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a cutomer do this one time, request me to you their products. And he pulled the bottle out and it was Mothers Hot Wheels edition wax.lol
    mobile auto detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention he would do it himself, but he has a back problem and thats why he was inclined to ask someone else to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by DaGonz
    I don`t understand the three trips to his house thing....

Apparently, he wants me to come to his and wash the car with him, clay bar with him, and mask the tape off. I don`t understand why I would do this if he were going to be doing this with me?

He doesn`t let anyone but himself wash the car, no dealer, etc. So this may explain that.

The second trip will be the polishing part, and then applying his sealant on and letting it sit for overnight. I would then come back and buff it off and apply his wax lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Holden_C04
    It may have something to do with the way he normally does his vehicle. I don`t like to see clients with tons of requests. It makes me think that no matter how perfect the job will be, they won`t be satisfied.

I explained this too him, he`s not expecting miracles but as someone said my reputation is on the line as well. I`m a perfectionist and if I can`t deliver the best I can physically do then I feel I have failed my job. He told me its rather "mostly a maintenance thing that`s just due" rather than a full restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by TH0001
    I would walk away. You are the expert and it is up to you to tell him what you are going to use to make his paint perfect. He is bringing you in as the expert, otherwise he would do it himself. Why would somebody who can`t do it himself be telling you how to do your job. I wouldn`t go to a doctor and tell him what medicine to use on me. I would expect the doctor to hear my concerns, assuage my feelings and take them into consideration, then as the expert prescribe the proper treatment.

Does this make sense?

If he has the experience to estimate how much time it is going to take you, then why isn`t he doing himself.

If you deciede to go through with this, tell him you do not guaranette the results with his products as you often have to change combinations to custom fit your process to the paint and its needs. Charge him by the hour (and no less then 50, IMO) and to car will deterime how much time you need.

If he wants to work with in a budge (say 300 dollars at 50/hr) then give him the best you can in 6 hours, with out doing extra`s.

I appreciate your response Todd. That`s exactly how I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002 Z06
    I vote for hourly rate also

Quote Originally Posted by JonP
    I vote hourly also, but if it we`re me, I wouldn`t do his cars if I don`t use my own tools/products.

Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior
    If you are posting on the professional forum, I assume you are set up as a business, and are possibly insured. I would tell him for liability reasons, I only felt comfortable using the products and techniques that I had experience with from my own arsenal - I would go on to tell him that I don`t like to experiment on customers cars, and that`s essentially what he would have you doing using products you aren`t familiar with. I would also tell him that I charge by the hour, and will be much more efficient using products I am use to.

If he still insists, I would move on to the next customer. This guy has already raised too many red flags, in my opinion, that lead me to believe he will be more trouble than he is worth. I think you could do a killer job on the car with your own products, and he will still probably badmouth you to other people and say things like, "He did a good job, but not as good as if he had used my products."

Actually the exact opposite, I do this as a hobby, and didn`t know where to post this question at. I appreciate all the responses on this forum and value each opinion on here. All these different variables are making me fell pretty uncomfortable.

I`m actually going to see his car Thursday night at a meet and I`ll examine what needs to be done, if its a long shot, I`m going to bail and not waste my time.

Thanks again for the responses guys

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t mind using his products if I had used them before. If I hadn`t used them then I wouldn`t agree to because you don`t know what to expect and they may not be best suited to the job. I don`t mind if someone has an LSP they want specifically, but I`d advise against his stuff for correcting unless it is unaltered and you are familiar with it. I would take plenty of before and afters and discuss expectations extensively before beginning. Remember to always CYA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you`ve already taken a lot of the advice to heart, but I`ll throw my 2 cents in as well. I own and run several businesses currently, and have had many others in the past. Anytime a customer wants to tell you how to do your job and what to use, run away as fast as possible. They likely won`t be happy with anything you do, and if you think their demands at first are bad, wait until you get in the middle of the job. Then they know they`ve got you at the point of no return, and it just gets worse.

If anyone wants to tell me exactly what to do on a job, then they can pay me hourly as an employee, which means they can also pay my insurance, withhold taxes, provide worker`s comp insurance in case I get hurt as their employee, etc. If not, then I`m not going to be their employee and work with them standing over my shoulder barking orders. Actually, I won`t do it regardless, but you get the point.

Post Thanks / Like
    He could have mixed sand in his products to screw you over, and hold you liable.
    PARK AVENUE

- D E T A I L I N G -

Ottawa Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    what about doing a side by side comparison and showing him what results your products will produce, and what his will produce...at the same time you can estimate how long the detail will actually take...

12-16 hours sounds more like a reconditioning rather than a maintenance detail by the way

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information