Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Need to know a realistic idea of pricing for an RV.

This is a 45 foot $850K dollar RV that has bad swirls and scratches, the owner is not needing perfection, but wants me to fully polish the damage out.

I have not looked at it yet, but I know I`ve got my work cut out for me.

I normally charge $75 per hour for paint correction on cars, but what do you think would be a good price for paint correction on this big momma?

I want to keep it around $60 per hour, is that reasonable you think for so much work, or am I selling myself short?

TIA

Josh
    Perfection Is In The Details

Rated one of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine! :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    If they can afford a $850k RV, they should have no problem with $65-75 per hour.
    If you do not change what your doing today, tomorrow will be no different.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve always charged by the linear foot for boats & RVs. I use to love doing Prevost Motorcoaches. Josh, based on the level of work you normally do, plan on spending about of week just for the outside for mid-level quality. If you can, after doing a thorough decontamination of the exterior, try to find the best 1 step product for the application and then seal the heck out of it. A WOWA sealant would be ideal.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Dave, charge by the foot. Same with boats. I`d say at least $12-15 per foot with light polishing, closer to $20, maybe $25 per foot for heavy correction.

I used to do a 45` coach (their business has run into some hard times) about once a year. They had a rolling staircase for me to use that made it a lot easier.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonP
    If they can afford a $850k RV, they should have no problem with $65-75 per hour.

Yea, I don`t think he`ll have a problem paying, I just want to give him a good deal since he`s not wanting 100% perfection and it`s all just flat surfaces..... not that it will be an easy job cause it`s all side panels.

Rated one of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine! :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I`ve always charged by the linear foot for boats & RVs. I use to love doing Prevost Motorcoaches. Josh, based on the level of work you normally do, plan on spending about of week just for the outside for mid-level quality. If you can, after doing a thorough decontamination of the exterior, try to find the best 1 step product for the application and then seal the heck out of it. A WOWA sealant would be ideal.

Yes, I figure at least a week as well....

If I were just washing and cleaning it that would be the way to charge, but with paint correction it`s a whole different story.

Won`t be doing any interior, only paint correction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    I agree with Dave, charge by the foot. Same with boats. I`d say at least $12-15 per foot with light polishing, closer to $20, maybe $25 per foot for heavy correction.

I used to do a 45` coach (their business has run into some hard times) about once a year. They had a rolling staircase for me to use that made it a lot easier.

But what happens if it takes a good 50 hours to polish out, then I`ll be loosing a lot of money? or if it turns out to need a two step polishing process.

Scott, how many hours did it normally take you to wash, polish and seal the exterior on one of those things?

Post Thanks / Like
    Im with Scott and Dave. This is the kind of work I do every day. Its a crap shoot, as to the time it will take. Just like a car, its all about the condition its in. To clean, polish, and protect it, you could be into a 40 footer around 40-50+ hours. Those are the projects you`ll wish you had employees for.

KAIO is a pretty good one-step for full paint coaches, I`ve found.
    :waxing: Deeper the thought, the deeper the shine

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m sure this will job could take every bit of 40 hours for 1 person to complete. If that`s the case, then charging someone $3000 (@ $75/hr) is excessive IMHO. Some jobs might be better suited for people focused on doing this type of work on a regular basis. A job that takes 1 person 40 hrs, could take a 2 person team 2 days. Most RVs aren`t scratched up that bad (they never get washed) and correct really easy (soft paint). Most are grimey and faded.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshVette
    But what happens if it takes a good 50 hours to polish out, then I`ll be loosing a lot of money? or if it turns out to need a two step polishing process.

Scott, how many hours did it normally take you to wash, polish and seal the exterior on one of those things?

I was able to do a one step polish (Meguiars #20) buffed off with OCW in about 8 hours by myself. It was already washed though. He had a DI/RO wash system and a pressure washer set up at his warehouse since either his one of his workers would wash it, or he`d have me do it. Washing took me about 3 hours (including dressing the tires/fenderwells/mudflaps) since it would air dry spot free. With my son helping me, we were able to do it in 5 hours (already washed that time too). The rolling staircase made a huge difference. You can see what I am talking about in this picture:

www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I`m sure this will job could take every bit of 40 hours for 1 person to complete. If that`s the case, then charging someone $3000 (@ $75/hr) is excessive IMHO. Some jobs might be better suited for people focused on doing this type of work on a regular basis. A job that takes 1 person 40 hrs, could take a 2 person team 2 days. Most RVs aren`t scratched up that bad (they never get washed) and correct really easy (soft paint). Most are grimey and faded.

I`ll let you guys all know what I find after I inspect it. Supposed to get the call today but didn`t. I`ll probably get it while in Houston these next two days....

I agree about having a team to tackle this, but he specifically asked for quality paint correction and knew my name from some Fcar clients. He`s also got two Fcars, a Lambo, Bentley, Porsche and BMW`s, but lives in CA so I won`t be detailing any of those.

Anyways, other then Scott, I don`t know anyone around here I consider qualified to tackle paint correction on a quality level and I know how busy he is....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    I was able to do a one step polish (Meguiars #20) buffed off with OCW in about 8 hours by myself. It was already washed though. He had a DI/RO wash system and a pressure washer set up at his warehouse since either his one of his workers would wash it, or he`d have me do it. Washing took me about 3 hours (including dressing the tires/fenderwells/mudflaps) since it would air dry spot free. With my son helping me, we were able to do it in 5 hours (already washed that time too). The rolling staircase made a huge difference. You can see what I am talking about in this picture:

Thanks for the info Scott.

I do believe the client has some sort of latter as well.

I will have to test out the surface to find the best combo, but thinking of trying out some M105 with a white pad and seeing how that finishes out. If the paint is too soft, I`ll go with a lighter combo.

Josh

Post Thanks / Like
    A good formula is to take the length in feet and divide by two. That number is approximately how many hours it will take to wash and polish/wax. If you are doing paint correction the formula may not apply. I have a guy right know that wants a 50 foot RV washed polished/waxed. I was thinking of using Poli-Seal and charging at least $1000, if not more like $1200-$1300.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Keeper of the beautiful Jean-Claude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever you do, don`t bid it and risk losing out making less than you should. Bid high if you have to and come off of your quote if you want to give a good deal.

Just my opinion. /shrug

Post Thanks / Like
    If you think your not charging enough YOUR NOT as said in a previous post the length divided by 2 times your hourly rate is the best way to go.
    Randy Lowe Custom Detail Boat & RV Detailing
    Salem, Oregon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information