Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Comrades,

I need your help in finding an HONEST deionized water provider in southern or central California. It seems like every time i try buying and getting hooked up with a water program or system, I end up getting taken advantage of. Either I don’t get the promised water yield, or the sales rep acts like a used car salesman and takes me for a ride. I have a detailing business in Huntington beach and purchased the Standard Deionized Water Business unit from On The Go - Portable Water Softener and paid 531$ for a dual tank system that is 2.5 ft tall, and only gives me 200 gal max of DI water(it was sold to me with the understanding it would yield 800 gal), and i paid 50$ plus per recharge ( i bought 5 at once so ended up paying 250$+) not including shipping. Not only that I have to recharge it myself. long story short i lost a ton of money.

I certainly don’t want to go through that again and would appreciate any leads, or referrals or general prices i would expect to pay. please help!!!

After dealing with them so long, they offered to buyback my JUNK system for 125$ and (i have to incur the shipping cost to mail it back too) if i bought their largest system which is a .9 cu ft dual tank system for 695.66 plus tax, it is 7 inches wide by 44 inches tall... but he says that my recharge rate would go up, basically costing me $0.11 per gallon in my area... average tds level is 241, with a range of 30-370. it seems outrageous to me that such a big unit would only yield me 1725 gals, before another recharge. think about it for a minute.... that means 1725 x $.11 per gal = $189 PER RECHARGE?!?! and that doesn’t even include shipping?!?!? ***!!! am i getting an honest deal or am i getting taken again. somebody please help me!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

Me

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the Spot Free water softener. It makes hard water soft, which goes a long way toward preventing spots and boosting the strength of cleaners. It is simply recharged by running salt water through it, which only takes 15 minutes or so. Every gallon of water you run through it makes one gallon of softened water. It may not quite be DI, but it serves its purpose very inexpensively.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    how much does it cost?

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Distilled water through a garden pump sprayer works quite well as a final rinse. At less than a dollar a gallon, it may be cheaper.

Get an inexpensive Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) meter to find the best brand.

I`m curious, though, why `special` water? If spotting is a problem, I`d look into a `waterless` wash like Optimum`s No Rinse (ONR).

Good Luck.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandits007
    how much does it cost?

The Spot Free filter? I just got the 1000 gallon model for $365 I believe. The 1000 gallon designation means it can filter approximately 1000 gallons before it needs a recharge. This is my second unit. The first one burst when the water froze inside of it. In my experience you have to re-charge sooner than 1000, but the water around here is pretty hard. They also have a 5000 and 10,000 gallon model.
    Brad Will- Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this for business or home.

Cal Water up in Placenta Has mixed bed tanks you rent and can exchange every month or as needed. They deal with commercial accounts however I had a customer in HB that had one of their units in his garage for washing his RV.

These places charge you a monthly rental charge and an exchange fee. You may need to place a deposit down as well.

It used to cost me less then .10 cents per gallon when I lived and worked there.

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Authorized Modesta Paint Coatings Applier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Buffit
    If spotting is a problem, I`d look into a `RINSELESS` wash like Optimum`s No Rinse (ONR).

Good Luck.

Jim

Fixed. :2thumbs:

I second the ONR suggestion. No spotting and a lot faster to wash with no reclaimation issues.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Here you go neighbor, bought one a few weeks ago and works great. A handheld portable water softener that will last 90,000 gallons. The replacement cartridge is $19 which should be good for at least 2 years. I tie wrapped it to my garden hose. Total cost: $60.00. No other water softener system (next to ONR) will provide a spot-free wash for this price and longevity. Take a look: Garden Hose Filters. Part numbers GH102 and cartridge FC024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_O
    Here you go neighbor, bought one a few weeks ago and works great. A handheld portable water softener that will last 90,000 gallons. The replacement cartridge is $19 which should be good for at least 2 years. I tie wrapped it to my garden hose. Total cost: $60.00. No other water softener system (next to ONR) will provide a spot-free wash for this price and longevity. Take a look: Garden Hose Filters. Part numbers GH102 and cartridge FC024.

Have you tried this on WELL water? We are out of city limits on well water and it`s already too soft. The big problem is it leaves huge bright white mineral spots / rings on the paint if you don`t wipe it off in a matter of minutes (or less in the sun)..

Post Thanks / Like
    That filter is the pre-filter for the Spot Free System I mentioned above. As far as I can tell it is only a charcoal filter and not a softener.
    Brad Will- Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Negative on a charcoal filter to my knowledge. The filter has resin and rock salt. You can re-charge it by soaking it in a fresh mixture of rock salt and water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_O
    Negative on a charcoal filter to my knowledge. The filter has resin and rock salt. You can re-charge it by soaking it in a fresh mixture of rock salt and water.

I did see that after I posted. Anyways the pre-filter for the Spot Free is that housing with a charcoal filter inside. The actual softener on the spot free is about three feet long for the 1000 gallon model and contains the resins. I highly doubt their claim of 90,000 gallons though. Have you tested it with hardness strips?
    Brad Will- Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    The FC006 cartridge from this page Filter Cartridge Menu will give you true DI water instead of just softened. It cannot be recharged with salt, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thread Information