Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some good points here. I spend a little time going over their car and explaining what needs to be done and how many steps it will take. I stress that I take the least agressive approach and give a realistic expectation of what it will look like when I`m done, I take time to explain how to care for their paint afterwards and try to either sell them on some maintenance washes - or show them how to wash a car and not swirl it up. By then, they notice I care about their car and I`m not trying to make a quick buck. After they feel that I know a thing or two, and will do the right thing for their car, then we talk price. I do not back off what I feel is reasonable. I know that if i feel I`m gettting screwed on a job, then I`m not going to do my best and if I not going to try my best, then forget it!

Post Thanks / Like
    JuneBug,

You bring up a good point amount maintaining a detailed vehicle. Here are some thoughts I use when communicating with potential or current clients:

"My goal is provide knowledgeable service with honesty, integrity, and superior quality and products. My services are setup so that my clients are provided with a car care plan instead of a one-time service. As with anything, the foundation is vitally important and that`s what the first detail is about. Once a vehicle has been properly detailed inside and out, they key is to maintain it. A vehicle is typically a persons second largest purchase so it is senseless to spend hard-earned money on professional detailing just to disregard any upkeep after that. It also requires less time and effort to keep it looking and feeling great versus letting it go and having to start from scratch all over again. This is why I offer a range of services to my clients."

Like I said, this is just another path for people to take when communicating with potential or current clients.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    oooo, what about this? Tell them to get the car done at the other place and bring it back to you. Then you do maybe 1/2 the hood for free. Show them how beautiful your 1/2 looks and say, I can continue... for a price, but i will discount what the other guys charged
    1994 SAAB 9000 CSE 2.3L Turbo

2001 SAAB 9-3 SE Convertible 2.0L Turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob22315
    That little gem pre-dates Bernie Mac by at least 10 years. I read it in Readers Digest many years ago. I`m sure they got it from some place else.
    It’s been a staple in engineering for at least the last twenty five years and it sounded like old wisdom back then.

I wouldn’t be surprised is a Greek or Roman builder scribed it on papyrus when some cheap*** senator was chiseling him for budget on a new temple for Zeus.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great question and an answer everyone can benefit from. This is sales 101. When somebody says "why should I buy from you" or "the other guy is cheaper" it`s now up to you to overcome objections and sell yourself. No matter what business you are in (and have been involved in another business for years) selling based on price results in the lowest price guy usually getting the sale, if you haven`t addressed the concerns of the customer. One of the other posts duly noted, "taking the time to explain yourself." This is the key to building confidence, which may lead to the sale provided you have earned the trust from the prospect.

There`s an old adage, "People will buy from people they like." Spend the time to explain benefits of why your product is better. Ask yourself this question: "Why should people buy from you?" The answer you provide is the same answer you need to tell the customer. Grab a friend, spouse or significant other and practice answering that question. Write a short script of the benefits that your detailing company offers and memorize it. Seems silly, but this is sales 101. List the advantages of why your company or detailing process is better, without putting down the other guy. Nobody likes to hear a competitor talk negatively about someone else, but politely explain what they may get for a reduced price or what "detailers won`t tell customers" to make a fast dollar. Example, some companies may just wax over untreated paint to hide the swirls then charge $75, where I use a 5 step process to permanently treat the paint which removes swirls resulting in a shine that lasts a long time and makes future car washing easier." You do want a shine that lasts more than a month Mr. Customer, is that right? (Ask them this question!)

You are also politely indicating the $75 economy detail will only last a month without putting down the other guy! Once you can have the customer agree with you by indicating "yes", you are on the way to overcoming the price objection. What is your time worth? Nobody wants to work their tail off for peanuts. At some point in the conversation the customer is qualified or not qualified for your service. If they are not qualified, cut your losses and thank them for their time. Don`t be affaid to use some psychology and tell them politely "this service may not be for you" or "you probably couldn`t afford this service." Nobody likes to be told what they can`t buy, which may result in them becoming your customer to spite you! Just a sales tactic, that works some of the time if you think the conversation is not going to result in a sale. Also, if you sense future conflict with somebody, it may be worth your time to turn down business and save yourself a huge headache from a pain-in-the-neck client that will never be satisfied, even if you price match for $75.00. Some people are so price fixated, they will nickel and dime you to death and expect a lot more that what you may be willing to give. Politely tell them "your service many not be the right fit for the customer" and thank them for their time. Move on to the next customer. Take your time explaining the benefits of your personalized service and demonstrate you know something about detailing by recommending the correct detail for their vehicle. Once you have done this, then it`s time to quote a price.

Post Thanks / Like
    More than one way to do anything. All it takes is experience, and you are getting many years of that here, for free

That is the benefit of the forum online, the others don`t feel threatened that your the other guy taking their business -- So true, honest advice is given.

From a CUSTOMER standpoint,.. one who is getting into the pro detail work.. Just starting with machines, learning the processes, and so forth.

I want to hear the detailer give me the step by step process. If I don`t understand any process or word/product he has said, I`d like for them to ask if you didn`t understand any of that, feel free to ask me any questions.. Most people don`t understand all that I do technically because, well, it is my job to know these things and to stay on the `cutting edge` of car care (etc etc).

I like to hear the guy tell me what kind of shape my hood is in, vs say a side panel that isn`t in such bad shape. That the hood might require two passes, or a slightly more agressive process, and so forth.

Realistic expectations are nice. These are nice and almost counterintuitive to sales tactics because it is lowering what *could* be said to sale the client. However, for residual/patron/repeat customer they must be told what to expect.

The follow up (maintenance) is so KEY. All that has to be done is convincing them enough to get them back ONE more time. Then at that time, one more time. Don`t have to convince them of a complicated 5 yr plan of service visits for their car.

I`ve thought a few times, the oil change places put a reminder for the customer on a revist,.. why not a good detailer? Maybe a sliver of a (non sticker) piece that could go over the area where a oil change sticker is, but not cover up any vital info. (like quarter inch by 2 inch) Or something just under it. Same material.

Reservice in say 6,000 Miles or 6 months whatever is first. With phone number, business name, your name, perhaps hours/location. Can obviously alter write in different re-service times for washes and such,.. but those really help people to be reminded.. Oh yeah, I need to bring this in , almost an accountibility thing.

If you can get it in peoples head that is just as important to take care of the exterior and interior of the car as it is to change the oil then they are more apt to bring it back regularly. Some might scoff, but it is. Think about resale value -- Changing the oil regularly obviously effects that,.. keeping the paint/interior in good shape can arguably be of more value.

Just some ideas from a customer/amateur detailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^Yes one of the big reasons I maintain my cars is the resale value. A shiney car kinda takes away from the fact that it has 200,000 miles on it.

Oh yeah, I have used a profesional who did a fantastic job on my Durango. He told me how to maintain it and explained everything he did in terms I can undersatand. I will need him again at some point and have recomended him to at least 20 other people.
    Quality Doesn`t Cost, It Pay`s

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "But he`s cheaper" What do you do, say?

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but this is something I`m currently going through. What would you guys do if your competition uses high quality products, does top notch work AND has very low rates?

Post Thanks / Like

Lies... Or just Starting out. Either way I find it Bs.

Post Thanks / Like

i will say so what are you doing here

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Craig_K -
    So you have gone over to your "competition" and evaluated his work and products, and know he is better than you and uses better products ??
    What is his experience level in years, and what is yours ?
    You both have a shop ?

I never even let it come into my mind that the "other guy, etc.." is better than me, and uses better products, cheaper, etc...

Is your vehicle a rolling best example of your skill set, work, and products ?

I just take them over to my Black Grand Cherokee parked out in the sun so they can see it very clearly, or under a lot of very unforgiving lights with extra lights for spot lighting any panel, and tell them
    this is what their black car can probably look like, and then go out to their vehicle and show them the difference..
    Never had anyone think that the "other guy that is cheaper" is still a better deal after that comparison..
    Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

If you are work is better and the owner can be educated to understand then you have given him the facts. He can still choose based upon price. The same applies at any price level: high end detailer charging $100 per hour but another detailer doing the same work for $75 per hour. There may or may not be a different in the results they deliver.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I do this on the side I average $150 for a detail in & out and I break my balls doing it, I way over delivery I treat these vehicles like my own. I have of late have been charging a little more, when I run across someone who wants something for nothing "cheaper" they need to go to that place, or if they think I`m high check a detail shop and get back to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tpr1634 View Post
    I do this on the side I average $150 for a detail in & out and I break my balls doing it, I way over delivery I treat these vehicles like my own. I have of late have been charging a little more, when I run across someone who wants something for nothing "cheaper" they need to go to that place, or if they think I`m high check a detail shop and get back to me.
    @TPR.....That`s what I usually charge. Now I have to drop my price to $149.. ha-ha

I recently quoted a guy the $150 to do his Challenger. He said.. well I really only need the outside. OK.. I`ll do an AIO for $75. wash/clay/AIO/ wheels/windows
    Then he says.. do you think you can get some stains out of the interior seats.. and a few on the carpet...
    And I have some touch-up paint. And these scratches over here... can you remove them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnF350 View Post
    @TPR.....That`s what I usually charge. Now I have to drop my price to $149.. ha-ha

I recently quoted a guy the $150 to do his Challenger. He said.. well I really only need the outside. OK.. I`ll do an AIO for $75. wash/clay/AIO/ wheels/windows
    Then he says.. do you think you can get some stains out of the interior seats.. and a few on the carpet...
    And I have some touch-up paint. And these scratches over here... can you remove them
    $ 149.00 when can I book a appointment...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information