Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Explain why your detail costs more. If you are using top tier products it`s easier to sell quality. I read of one detailer who even offered a warranty-that`s putting your reputation behind your work and products. Explain the cost of running your business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob22315
    That little gem pre-dates Bernie Mac by at least 10 years. I read it in Readers Digest many years ago. I`m sure they got it from some place else.

And to further convolute it`s catchy nature, it doesn`t even really apply...

So, a car with severe oxidation and horrible marring can get done fast and good if I pay enough? It doesn`t matter how much someone pays, a good detail job can`t be done faster than the minimum time for you to get it right.

Additionally, cheap and good, but not fast? So you`ll take longer on it, but charge less?

I dunno, just seems like a big stretch to try and make that apply in this business.

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffMe
    And to further convolute it`s catchy nature, it doesn`t even really apply...

So, a car with severe oxidation and horrible marring can get done fast and good if I pay enough? It doesn`t matter how much someone pays, a good detail job can`t be done faster than the minimum time for you to get it right.

Actually, It can be done faster if you pay more by using more than one qualified detailer. You could cut the time in half with two guys and maybe even 4 if they didn`t get in each other`s way. I`m not trying to be a smarta$$, but if you`ve ever seen that Extreme Home Makeover show you`d know that manpower and strategy is everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by integritydetail
    Actually, It can be done faster if you pay more by using more than one qualified detailer. You could cut the time in half with two guys and maybe even 4 if they didn`t get in each other`s way. I`m not trying to be a smarta$$, but if you`ve ever seen that Extreme Home Makeover show you`d know that manpower and strategy is everything.

Ah, good call... wasn`t thinking more people. I tend to try to do everything myself so I don`t usually think in terms of teams.

Post Thanks / Like
    There comes a time when you respond with body language so well, you barely need words to explain that there must be something they’re ‘missing’ with the low-ball price. Almost as if it’s a secret :secret †and only those in the business are privy to.

A coy smile. A simple one liner, like: Ҡoh †you saw that ad too? †so did the guy who brought in the car I’m on now, we had a laugh at that too.:xyxthumbs It’s so pathetic I’m turning that guy’s ad into my 10% off coupon. If you have his ad, I’ll still give you a COMPLETE detail AND full protection AND give you 10% off.â€

Stop there. Say nothing else †just smile and ask them when they want to schedule an appointment.

If they walk †they were only getting the job based on their budget, and you can NEVER sell them past their budget, and if you do talk them into something over budget or lower your price in any way, they’re certain to find something to complain about, making you wish you never took the job to begin with. If they stay †they’ll probably tell at least 2 people about your secret discount!

You can only be beat by your own actions and attitude!
    SaintlySins

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^that is what I have recently learned....by taking an extra set of hands, I make more per hour...so my $50/hr has turned into about $80 per hour, but I am not making the full amount anymore as I have to pay for the help, but in the end, its worth it because I dont have to do the work and I can in turn get to other cars, or detail longer in life...

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Saintlysins
    ...Almost as if it’s a secret :secret †and only those in the business are privy to.

A coy smile. A simple one liner, like: “†oh †you saw that ad too? †so did the guy who brought in the car I’m on now, we had a laugh at that too.:xyxthumbs...

You can only be beat by your own actions and attitude!

I love it! that is very smooth... and true:up

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same problem here in Cyprus.Most "detailers" (if i can call them like this) have very low prices.The problem is that customers cannot see the difference between of just applying some compound or polish with a rotary polisher(sometimes with a modified grinder-YES THEY USE THEM A LOT) that fill the car holograms and hide them with a wax or glaze until the next car wash, and of the real detailing work that gives to the car what really needed to.I had that experience on my own car before i find out the magic world of detailing.When i bought it it was full of holograms because of bad rotary polishing.When i took it back to the dealer to repair it,he done the job in 30 minutes : ).A rotary polisher,a compound,and a paste wax.The results were worst than before.I tried to take it to another "professional" and i had the same results.So i decided to fix it by my self and also make detailing my job.

Because of that situation (customers cannot see the difference,low prices) i am planning to take some customers that they are happy to give more money for their very expensive cars (social problems ) just for the show,just for doing something different from other people(oh those social problems ).Why you don,t try this?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same problem here in Cyprus.Most "detailers" (if i can call them like this) have very low prices.The problem is that customers cannot see the difference between of just applying some compound or polish with a rotary polisher(sometimes with a modified grinder-YES THEY USE THEM A LOT) that fill the car holograms and hide them with a wax or glaze until the next car wash, and of the real detailing work that gives to the car what really needed to.I had that experience on my own car before i find out the magic world of detailing.When i bought it it was full of holograms because of bad rotary polishing.When i took it back to the dealer to repair it,he done the job in 30 minutes : ).A rotary polisher,a compound,and a paste wax.The results were worst than before.I tried to take it to another "professional" and i had the same results.So i decided to fix it by my self and also make detailing my job.

Because of that situation (customers cannot see the difference,low prices) i am planning to take some customers that they are happy to give more money for their very expensive cars (social problems ) just for the show,just for doing something different from other people(oh those social problems ).Why you don,t try this?

Post Thanks / Like
    just tell them that you dont want to be the cheap guy because you dont cut the corners to be the cheap guy. I think this apply`s to just about any bussiness
    Quality Doesn`t Cost, It Pay`s

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell them that you have a secret product, love

... that will at least win over some of the old ladies, especially if u wink at them
    1994 SAAB 9000 CSE 2.3L Turbo

2001 SAAB 9-3 SE Convertible 2.0L Turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boon4376
    Tell them that you have a secret product, love

... that will at least win over some of the old ladies, especially if u wink at them

Now that`s a cheesy line...

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell them they can also get a cheap street walking hooker, but what will they have to show for it a few days later.

Post Thanks / Like
    All you can do is explain the difference between what the other person does and what you do. If they still do not understand, tell them to have a nice day. Most likely you do not want that type of person as a customer anyways. Another note, as you build your reputation, you will get less and less people questioning your price.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoCadillac
    Tell them they can also get a cheap street walking hooker, but what will they have to show for it a few days later.

a nice rash???

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information