Thread: Detailing Chops

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been doing some snooping around on some of the detail shops around my town..im new and just want to know what my competition is doing...i called today and acted like an interested customer....they said a full detail included a wash and industrial wax...haha im serious...but anywho and i asked if they used detailers clay...they of course said no....then they said they buffed the cars....

I dont even dare ask what that entailed..what they used etc. But my problem is that i wouldnt even consider doing a polish at all without claying a vehicle..what kind of operation are they running? A typical detail i feel should always include clay...i know not all may agree but i figure that is the first thing that needs to be done to a neglected car...which most are when they first come to you...anyone`s thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree about the claying. "Industrial wax" could be Collinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanrossbell
    ...what kind of operation are they running? ...
    The very common kind. Fast, cheap and yucky it is the industry standard.

Sounds like you won`t have any competition when it comes to high quality detailing.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    They *could* be ABC washing the cars, negating the need for clay. I wouldn`t bet on it it though.

Most shops don`t clay, it doesn`t make sense for them timewise. If you are going to polish with a heavy compound, claying is pretty much a take it or leave it (n.b. I always clay, cause I`m picky and it pads the hours, but it`s not 100% necessary). I

f you are just going to gloss up with a finishing polish, claying is a must. These clowns probably go wash -> wool polish pad and 1500 grit leveler -> Collinite. Looks good to people that don`t "see" swirls, but it looks like hell to a trained eye.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by themightytimmah

These clowns probably go wash -> wool polish pad and 1500 grit leveler -> Collinite. Looks good to people that don`t "see" swirls, but it looks like hell to a trained eye.

Yep, seen it done. Used to work at a shop that did it.

Its sad really...but then again, thats more potential business for me:2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    I just cant believe that they get 200 for a job like that...people are lined up there too...oh well better get off and running!

Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience, most customers would rather I spend an extra 15 minutes elsewhere in the detail (interior, perfect windows, immaculate jambs) than spend those 15 minutes claying the car.

We removed claying from our standard detail and made it part of our $80 paint sealant package.

It`s been successful, and on a busy day we save 1 - 2 hours of labor by not claying every car.

Of course, there are oversprayed cars, cars that have been parked under trees for months, fallout cars, and white cars with embedded contaminants that MUST be clayed, and we build the claying into the price of the detail (usually bump it $20).
    APPLIED COLORS

PROFESSIONAL GRADE PAINT TOUCHUP KITS

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like they have no idea what "detail" means?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am the only person in town that i think offers true paint correction...that hopefully will be a good opportunity. I finally got a flex so it cut my time down and now i can be competetive on my prices :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I find that in my area, I only have to clay about 30% of the cars I detail. No sense doing uneeded work. In areas with heavy industry, I imagine you`d pretty much have to clay every car.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I clay every vehicle that I detail. I do it during the wash process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    I find that in my area, I only have to clay about 30% of the cars I detail. No sense doing uneeded work. In areas with heavy industry, I imagine you`d pretty much have to clay every car.

True about not doing the unneeded work...i am a guy that doesnt use victoria or swissvax waxes on the cars i detail, i use meg`s 26, poorboy`s ex-p, and meguiar`s 21....im all about prep..and i just feel guilty not claying..its second nature for me to do that right after the wash...i dont ever want to skimp my customers but i dont want to spend the 1 hour or so claying the vehicle if i dotn have to....

Thread Information