Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeegr
    Maybe someone had a clean car and came out after work to find overspray from someone else`s wash all over their car and complained to the owners? :nixweiss: I wouldn`t doubt that some detailers are not too concerned about other cars nearby. Maybe even there wasn`t enough space between some cars for a detailing, but the detailer went ahead anyway and marred the neighboring car. Just some possibilities. I guess the only way to know would be to contact the owners.

I wouldn`t be suprised. I always tell the customer to make sure they park in a remote location if possible. Even though I use ONR and don`t get other cars wet, I do like to have enough room to open the doors all the way without the risk of them hitting someone else`s car.

I`ve only had to deal with one office complex in the Dallas area (off 635 and Midway) that doesn`t allow detailing (or glass replacement) without a $2 million liability insurance policy...and considering most people don`t carry that much insurance, it pretty much means no one does any detailing there.

When someone calls for an appointment at an office complex, I do recommend to them they make sure detailing is allowed on the parking lot just to be on the safe side.

I actually did a car in downtown Fort Worth at a public parking garage and they actually allowed me to use the available outlets-probably because a generator would be too noisy in a parking garage.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bert31
    I would be willing to bet you are correct about liability. If the detailer or one of his employees were to get hurt and the detailer did not have worker`s comp or general liability insurance, a slick trial lawyer would probably go after the property manager.

Not to get too creative, but say you were mobile and used a pressure washer or had some kind of slick runoff or left tire overspray on the concrete...if someone tripped, slipped or didn`t like the stain on the ground, they`d get to hear about it or pay for it. They probably could be approached by a pro that could explain ONR washes, etc. and get that changed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax

I actually did a car in downtown Fort Worth at a public parking garage and they actually allowed me to use the available outlets-probably because a generator would be too noisy in a parking garage.

Scott, I saw the photos you took and recognized that particular garage becaue I park there. For what I pay monthly, they should let you use the power for free. I can`t really complain; it is the cleanest and safest garage in downtown thanks to the private security force.
    1991 Frost White Honda Accord EX

2005 Breakwater Blue Lexus RX330

2005 Satin Silver Metallic Acura TL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowejackson
    Someone should clean the sign, it is filthy

I was thinking the same thing

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW, what will they think of next? Jeez how is a guy supposed to make a living!? D*CKS!

Post Thanks / Like
    :think:

I bet the property owner’s wife was caught cheating with one of the detailers out there.

That`s legitimate, right? :grinno:

Ok in all seriousness, yeah I know how fun is that, I’d have to go with the liability issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    You did say that there were law offices on the premise...

Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad..that means anyone of the employees that work there will have to park their Bimmers, Lexus, and MB`s in a different lot, or hand over the keys for you to take.

Seriously, that sign is rediculous :think:
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by integritydetail
    They bring it to my shop, I pick it up, or I do it at their house. I`ve never done one in a parking lot, sorry.
    I work almost exclusively on commercial property, offices, plazas, banks etc. In the last 10 years I have only been asked to leave twice. I can`t speak for CA but in South Florida I know many offices that get hit up 3-4 times a day with "wash-only" hacks . Some of these guys even try to hook up to water without permission. I don`t blame them for putting up the sign. No harm done. There`s plenty of work out there.

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves
    I work almost exclusively on commercial property, offices, plazas, banks etc. In the last 10 years I have only been asked to leave twice. I can`t speak for CA but in South Florida I know many offices that get hit up 3-4 times a day with "wash-only" hacks . Some of these guys even try to hook up to water without permission. I don`t blame them for putting up the sign. No harm done. There`s plenty of work out there.

So, how do you initiate that type of business. Do you just show up when a customer asks or do you clear it with the facility first? I wouldn`t mind picking up some biz that way, but never knew how to get started.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know I was just looking at the sign thinking that it needs to be detailed. It looks awful!
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess you lost those accounts or what?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves
    I don`t blame them for putting up the sign. No harm done. There`s plenty of work out there.
    +1, it`s private property and the owners of said property have every right to allow or disallow whatever they choose to. How many of you have a sign at your home that says "No Solicitors" ? I bet you wouldn`t think twice about how you`re making it "difficult for the door-to-door sales guys to make a living"....

That said, here`s a gag you can play: Call the landlords / owners of the building and say you work for one of the offices in there and there`s an auto detailer in the lot doing work. Ensure you are at the "No Auto Detailers" sign, detailing it (polishing with a rotary would be preferred) when the landlords / owners show up. When they ask what the **** you`re doing, explain that you`re a "sign detailer", not an automotive one :lol
    ... Because your vehicle deserves it too

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to bolt the sign onto the angled part of the post. Jerks! Look how the sign is bent in on the angle iron. That`s real pride!

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe,

The problem is its Diamond Bar, they have some crazy laws.....you must pick up after your horse.....need to carry large trash bags I guess.

Cheers,

GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information