Post Thanks / Like
    I live in a colder climate(2 hours north of Detroit) and there is snow on the ground from mid Dec. till mid March. I am planning on going full time mobile detailing, but worry about how to make money during the "snow" months when fewer people want full details. I was pondering approaching some of the higher-end auto body places to lend a hand there, but I am sure there will a wage drop if I did this. Any ideas on how to make money in the snow?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re anywhere close to Detroit, mobile detailing is a bad idea as a full time job. There`s not enough non-freezing months to make a decent living. I`ve seen quite a few try it, but eventually close down. If you can offer pick up & delivery, and do the vehicles off-site at a shop, it can be done every day of the year. Just figure from maybe the end of October to April(5-6 months) it`s way to cold to be working on cars outside all day. If you have a decent amount of faithful clients, it shouldn`t matter how cold it really is. They`ll do anything to get their car cleaned, especially by someone that`s been doing their vehicles. I`d market yourself to office buildings with higher end businesses too.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Move south out of the snow belt. I can detail year `round in Dallas. We have some cold days, but maybe 1 or 2 snow/ice days a year.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Hint, Hint, in Scottwax`s avatar pic, that would be sweat wetting his shirt as in, its hot has crap down here most of the time, I have my home a/c on NOW!!! (really) :cooleek:
    1999 Trans Am Firehawk #157 LS1 Roadster

"Weekend Warrior just keeping my cars clean"

Club Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Although I do not live as far north (Virginia), we do have our share of cold weather and occasional snow. I am lucky to have some clients that like to keep their cars clean year round. Most are set up on a bi-weekly wash and vacuum program. This keeps me fairly busy and provides a steady income when people are not buying full details. The winter months are definitely slower though. I did a direct mailing in both November and December that generated some business. I will continue to do that in the future during those months.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunfirehawk
    I have my home a/c on NOW!!! (really) :cooleek:

That`s insane. :spit:

Post Thanks / Like
    I can make enough to almost match my current pay just detailing for the 9 months, but want to make "something" during the off months. I will try to talk a body shop that has given me customers in the past to see if they need winter help. I work retail so Dec is a nightmare for me with only 2 days off that entire month with many 12 hour days. Anything to avoid that would be great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Short sleeve and shorts weather here in Souther California today.:laugh:

Post Thanks / Like
    Im subcontracting for indoor work, private and commercial personal training and finishing up my MS in grad school, and doing just maintenance stuff for my customers.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what my 2 week outlook looks like: ahhh so cal.

Post Thanks / Like
    That weather forcast is not that great-some of the days were only mostly sunny ie.-some parts of the day would be cloudy!

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on going full time here in colorado, I am buying an extractor that is for houses as well so hopefully i can clean house carpets in the winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I live in Chicagoland, I`m in the same situation as the OP. But I tend to hibernate in the winter, then detail my *** off in the summer. I still try to get one or two cars a week in the winter here, but its definately harder to enjoy it with the cold!
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did a exterior job on a car on Wed. that had some body work done recently. It was right around 0 F outside, but almost 50 F in my garage! When I let some of the water out of the garage, it instantly turned to ice and was making the garage door stick! It must be tough to live in the south during the winter!

Thread Information