Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I work at a Mercedes/Jeep dealership as a service porter, we have a detailing company that is subcontracted out that does all the services washes/detailing. Every car that comes in for service gets a complimentary wash and interior vacuum. The dealer pays the detailing company $20 per wash from what I am told. There is touch-free car wash they run it through, and then dry and vacuum.

These guys are the definition of a hack. FILTY drying shammys (or used to be), I constantly see them drying the wheels (which they didnt clean properly mind you, coated in bake dust), then promptly go back to wiping down the paint on a $60 Mercedes. When they bring the car up upon completion, I constantly find myself and the other porter wiping off flaws the left, dirt they didnt get off, re-cleaning wheels that they made no attempt to remove brake dust, etc. It is pretty bad. The service advisors have to check them and OK them before they turn in their slip to get paid at the end of the day, and they constantly ***** about how crappy they are. They slack off bad, takes them 45 minutes to do this simple wash and vacuum when I go back there and do it in 15 minutes when a customer is waiting.

Im pretty new there, so I have stayed quiet for the most part. A few people know I do detailing (my truck has a logo afterall), but I guess word got around and a few people including one of my bosses said that I should make a proposal to the service manager.

And for numbers, we get anywhere from 25-40 cars in per day for service. These guys are easily doing 30 cars a day, not to mention pre-delivery details, vehicle sale details, etc. There is like 3-4 clowns working there and they half *** everything. but anyways, even 30 cars @ $20 a car....it makes money. The owner of the company pays these guys $5 a car (it SHOULD only take them 20 minutes tops to do a car).

I cant imagine there is much overhead aside from materials and they require you to have a pretty good insurance plan. But I wouldnt have to advertise or anything, it brings in constant business.

Now, I know I can get those cars done far faster than them (I find customers waiting 30-40 minutes for them to finish), I dont see why each car should take no more than 20 minutes. most of these cars are very clean benz`s, with brake dust being the biggest issue. Obviously I would have to hire a couple guys, and I would have to stay on top of their work.

I know the service manager doesnt really care about all the cool polishes I have and whatnot, as 90% of the work wont need that period. but I was thinking of pitching him the fact that these guys are using the same dirty rag on the paint as they do on the wheels and whatnot, while I will have a color coded system and each color will have its specific place, blah blah. The most important thing to them however, will be quickness of the washes, and quality of the work. After we have to send a car back to get cleaned AGAIN (it happens often), there ends up being an hour spent on that car, while the customer is waiting the whole time. that is not good.

anyways, I want to explain to him that I will get cars out quicker, with better results.

If anyone has experience in doin this and how to approach it, I would appreciate it. I figure the worst he can say is no:xyxthumbs

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know around dealerships (especially with management), the CSI score means a lot to these guys - a lot of bonuses ride on the CSI score. I would see if I could get my hands on any data from management regarding how many complaints were documented on the customer surveys about dissatisfaction with the way their car was detailed before delivery - and how many times cars had to be sent back to be re done. I would then tell the service manager that you guarantee that you can reduce the number of customer complaints, and do overs dramatically. When you start talking about improving the CSI score to management, the wheels will start spinning in their heads, and they will realize that a higher CSI = a bigger bonus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually thats a good point. Someone told me that their scores have been low lately, I am seriously ashamed how some of the cars look and send them on their way.

we have some old greasy terry cloths up front wor wiping off our hands or oil drops when we check fluids and whatnot, and these guys will grab one and wipe off a spot on the car with it, leaving a big oilly greasy scratchy smudge. It sickens me lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll tell you a quick story that you can relate to.

My father picked up a 2008 BMW 328xi coupe a couple months ago. The dealer prepped the car and did a very nice job. No complaints. However, I went out and inspected the car and found what appeared to be a nick or a slight chip on a tiny portion of the hood. Only an Autopian would see it. I told my father. My father told the salesman (who we`ve leased 5 BMW`s from). I said to the guy that maybe the body shop could wet sand it and polish it out. The salesman told the porter about the issue. We go back to finalizing the paper work. I look outside and see the porter with a yellow MF that was filthy rubbing vigorously on the hood! I bolt outside to tell him to stop and he said he is polishing it out. He was using this thick, goopy cream that was stored in an empty, plastic 16oz. Coca Cola bottle with a piece of duct tape on it labeling the product! No joke! I said how the hell was he going to polish out a nick in the clear coat with a non abrasive cream. Not only did he vigorously rub his index finger into the paint, but he MISSED the spot. When I examined the butcher job he did, the paint was totally scratched and marred where he rubbed not to mention a 2 foot circumference around it where he wiped the hood. The salesman was furious and I went in to the manager and politely indicated what the guy did wrong. I explained proper paint and waxing along with proper accessories to use. I was cool about it because I didn`t want to get the guy in trouble. I then thanked the manager because it folks at the dealer who don`t know how to prep cars that make me money on the side as a detailer.

We brought the car home and a little SIP followed by PO106FF cleared it up but we are leaving the nick. The car is silver and you`ll never notice it, but I did. As a result, I caused a nightmare on the day we picked up the car!

Just thought you could relate!
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, I brought my own older Mf towels to wipe stuff off when they bring them up. most of the time, there is tire shine sprayed all over the fenders, etc.

Today was interesting. they were HORRIBLE today, every car was coming up filty. the no touch wash doesnt get all the dirt off, and they just dry it off with the dirt brown shammy they use, missing spots all over. so the finished product is a car smeared with dirt, and caked on dirt still on places. the service advisor told him to redo it as it is unnaceptable, and he said "this just a service wash, aint no detail man!" like when you wash a car, it is common practice to not completely remove all the dirt, leave bugs all over etc.

I had to stay 30 minutes extra at work because I had to wash two cars because they didnt feel like doing them. (they were "protesting")

I didnt instigate any of this, apparently it has been an ongoing problem with these guys. I figure, they crappier their work is, the better chance I have of taking their work.

Oh one guy also said it is impossible to remove swirls, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you saying that you would quit and become the contract service? Or that you are going to propose using dealer labor (you and others) to do the work? That may be the bigger sell job than whether you would be better at it. If an outsourcing decision has been made for that service, it may be hard to convince the powers that be to bring it back in-house.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would contract it out with my business, and quit my job.

Post Thanks / Like
    `
    Quote Originally Posted by SShine
    I work at a Mercedes/Jeep dealership as a service porter, we have a detailing company that is subcontracted out that does all the services washes/detailing. Every car that comes in for service gets a complimentary wash and interior vacuum. The dealer pays the detailing company $20 per wash from what I am told. There is touch-free car wash they run it through, and then dry and vacuum. \r\n\r\nThese guys are the definition of a hack. FILTY drying shammys (or used to be), I constantly see them drying the wheels (which they didnt clean properly mind you, coated in bake dust), then promptly go back to wiping down the paint on a $60 Mercedes. When they bring the car up upon completion, I constantly find myself and the other porter wiping off flaws the left, dirt they didnt get off, re-cleaning wheels that they made no attempt to remove brake dust, etc. It is pretty bad. The service advisors have to check them and OK them before they turn in their slip to get paid at the end of the day, and they constantly ***** about how crappy they are. They slack off bad, takes them 45 minutes to do this simple wash and vacuum when I go back there and do it in 15 minutes when a customer is waiting.\r\n\r\nIm pretty new there, so I have stayed quiet for the most part. A few people know I do detailing (my truck has a logo afterall), but I guess word got around and a few people including one of my bosses said that I should make a proposal to the service manager.\r\n\r\nAnd for numbers, we get anywhere from 25-40 cars in per day for service. These guys are easily doing 30 cars a day, not to mention pre-delivery details, vehicle sale details, etc. There is like 3-4 clowns working there and they half *** everything. but anyways, even 30 cars @ $20 a car....it makes money. The owner of the company pays these guys $5 a car (it SHOULD only take them 20 minutes tops to do a car).\r\n\r\nI cant imagine there is much overhead aside from materials and they require you to have a pretty good insurance plan. But I wouldnt have to advertise or anything, it brings in constant business.\r\n\r\nNow, I know I can get those cars done far faster than them (I find customers waiting 30-40 minutes for them to finish), I dont see why each car should take no more than 20 minutes. most of these cars are very clean benz\`s, with brake dust being the biggest issue. Obviously I would have to hire a couple guys, and I would have to stay on top of their work.\r\n\r\nI know the service manager doesnt really care about all the cool polishes I have and whatnot, as 90% of the work wont need that period. but I was thinking of pitching him the fact that these guys are using the same dirty rag on the paint as they do on the wheels and whatnot, while I will have a color coded system and each color will have its specific place, blah blah. The most important thing to them however, will be quickness of the washes, and quality of the work. After we have to send a car back to get cleaned AGAIN (it happens often), there ends up being an hour spent on that car, while the customer is waiting the whole time. that is not good.\r\n\r\nanyways, I want to explain to him that I will get cars out quicker, with better results. \r\n\r\nIf anyone has experience in doin this and how to approach it, I would appreciate it. I figure the worst he can say is no:xyxthumbs
    \r\n\r\nI worked at a dealership a few years ago, as a porter and as a shuller driver, we had a guy there that work as a wash guy, one day he didn\`t come in and the service manager ask me to wash a few vehicles and i did, with a better result than the other guy. Now just a wash only. A week later a few of the customers came in and ask who clean there car, service manager came and got me talked to the customers and they said how pleased they were with the vehicle. They gave me there numbers and wow then it all begin, while i worked there on thurs and fridays, the service manager would have me do cars that would come in and the customer found out by word of mouth that i was good. Most of them would ask far a light interior cleaning and a wax on the exterior. My manager said it was ok for me to do that, they would put on separate paper wash and wax and let me do it while i worked there and still get paid while there:woot: . So i made two incomes, no questions ask. Then thats when everything bloomed, i was doing 3-5 cars a day that i charged$ 40-$50 bucks but one catch i did his also.:secret Made a connection with the distributer of the products there and purchased some of his products kept it in my truck and bamm. Then customers started to have me come out on the weekends to theres and neighbors would come over and doing there in the same day, sometimes 6-8 cars on a saturday wow good money, then started offering more services and the clients kept coming along with more money and nicer vehicles. Now I have a mobile service and always adding new clinetel. Now those customers are now paying me more than before along with new services. Pm me for more information and web site just the gallary is up now while being developed.:grinno:`

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like it would be more profitable for you and your business, so I would pitch it to the big boss in charge and explain the differences and try to take on the job!!! Good Luck, maybe you can start changing the dealership reputation one dealership at a time....:think2

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d jump on the opportunity to make $500+ per day. Those hacks really need to go. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I work at a Mercedes/Jeep dealership as a service porter, we have a detailing company that is subcontracted out that does all the services washes/detailing.

These guys are the definition of a hack.

Is this the company tha`s currently doing their clean-up work:

Teph Seal - Auto Appearance
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    You should think about a few things before you decide to do this. Number one is, are you already insured? If you are already insured, adding employees will require you to have workers compensation insurance. In addition, you will need a EIN (employer identification number), if you do not already have one. You say you will get the cars done quicker and with better results. How will you and/or your employees accomplish this. Are you going to use the tunnel wash, or do a complete hand wash? In this type of environment it is key to have the proper process in order to be efficient, yet maintain high quality. One option is an assembly line where each person on the line has a specific task they can do well.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brwill2005
    You should think about a few things before you decide to do this. Number one is, are you already insured? If you are already insured, adding employees will require you to have workers compensation insurance. In addition, you will need a EIN (employer identification number), if you do not already have one. You say you will get the cars done quicker and with better results. How will you and/or your employees accomplish this. Are you going to use the tunnel wash, or do a complete hand wash? In this type of environment it is key to have the proper process in order to be efficient, yet maintain high quality. One option is an assembly line where each person on the line has a specific task they can do well.

I do not have insurance currently as I work by myself being mobile and its really not worth it. If I do infact get the job, I will most likely have some time before I take over because I am sure they have a service contract.

I have been considering the assembly line idea, not to sure yet. I know the car must be hand washed, and then I will run them through the car wash for the rinse since its there. The touch free wash alone does a horrible job getting dirt off I have noticed.

The current guys spend more time smoking cigarettes and talking about Caddilacs than they do washing cars, so getting them done faster will be no problem. They also have no real management so they just run amuck doing what they please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Is this the company tha`s currently doing their clean-up work:

Teph Seal - Auto Appearance

nah thats not them, the company is 1st choice auto detailing I believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not have insurance currently as I work by myself being mobile and its really not worth it. If I do infact get the job, I will most likely have some time before I take over because I am sure they have a service contract.

I have been considering the assembly line idea, not to sure yet. I know the car must be hand washed, and then I will run them through the car wash for the rinse since its there. The touch free wash alone does a horrible job getting dirt off I have noticed.

The current guys spend more time smoking cigarettes and talking about Caddilacs than they do washing cars, so getting them done faster will be no problem. They also have no real management so they just run amuck doing what they please.
    If the current guys are not productive, you should have no problem if you find good guys. Consider finding some teenagers who have no experience detailing, and train them for one specific task; wheels/tires, washing/drying, vacuuming/interior. It is easier to train someone well at one task than to train them to do the whole process. Anyways good luck with it.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information