Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generator???

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering what type of generators you guys are running for a mobile detail operation. What size and all of the specifics like that.

Also, I have a truck and I was considering just getting an extra battery and running a power inverter instead of a generator to cut down on the noise while im working. Do you think this would work and how big of an inverter would I need to consider?

For the most part what I will be running off of my generator or inverter are:

-Vaccum

-Carpet Shampoo Machine (Hot water carpet extractor, or what ever else you would like to call it)

-Buffer

-and other electronics necessary for detailing.

*note - everything does not necessarily have to run at the same time

What would you guys reccomend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you going to run your halogens off of it? Because those things suck quite a bit of energy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplaya13
    Are you going to run your halogens off of it? Because those things suck quite a bit of energy.

Yes, I will be running any lighting that is going to be necessary off of it. Im not sure how much lighting I am going to need though, most of my jobs are going to take place during the day

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are going to run halogens at all, an inverter is totally out of the question.

I have a Honda F3000. It is more than enough for my pressure washer, vacuum, and any peripherals I need to use on the occasions that I do on-site work. Haven`t ever used it with halogens though, I don`t do any polishing in locations that are likely to require outside power sources.
    Jonathan Edwards

ATTENTION TO DETAIL

Newport Beach, La Jolla, Montecito

Post Thanks / Like
    I contemplated this rig before and the only feasible way I could see it working was to have a series of 6V RV/golf cart batteries put into a series and parallel with a strong high-end inverter.

Using 4-6 of the batteries and having them permanently setup in a box or on a trailer, you`d have to mount the inverter in a location where it would dissipate heat, and you`d need to have easy access for recharging the rig at night.

The batteries I had in mind at the time where Interstate U2200s, so I guestimate the setup would cost the following:

(6) U2200 - $593.94

1 2000 watt continuous/4000 watt surge power inverter - $150

(or possibly a 3000 watt inverter - $600)

Misc. materials for the box, straps, etc - $100

6v/12v slow/fast charger - $80

So it adds up pretty quick, and consider that this much equipment is HEAVY. I worked retail for a battery chain and I did not like it when I had to haul golf cart batteries out to someone`s truck.

These batteries last a decent time if kept up, but you can expect maybe 2 years at most of service before you`ll need to swap them all out.

Honestly I think you`re better off in the long run with a quiet running Honda generator.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    agree, a generator will be your best bet. I have a 5000w generator that will power most of my whole 1 story house, with the A/C and three major appliances on. I`ve had it for about 7 years now and it`s still running strong. It can be a major PITA to start up if left alone too long a time, such as winter. I try to start it up once or twice a week in the winter to keep it easier to start up.
    If you do not change what your doing today, tomorrow will be no different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by truzoom
    I contemplated this rig before and the only feasible way I could see it working was to have a series of 6V RV/golf cart batteries put into a series and parallel with a strong high-end inverter.

Using 4-6 of the batteries and having them permanently setup in a box or on a trailer, you`d have to mount the inverter in a location where it would dissipate heat, and you`d need to have easy access for recharging the rig at night.

The batteries I had in mind at the time where Interstate U2200s, so I guestimate the setup would cost the following:

(6) U2200 - $593.94

1 2000 watt continuous/4000 watt surge power inverter - $150

(or possibly a 3000 watt inverter - $600)

Misc. materials for the box, straps, etc - $100

6v/12v slow/fast charger - $80

So it adds up pretty quick, and consider that this much equipment is HEAVY. I worked retail for a battery chain and I did not like it when I had to haul golf cart batteries out to someone`s truck.

These batteries last a decent time if kept up, but you can expect maybe 2 years at most of service before you`ll need to swap them all out.

Honestly I think you`re better off in the long run with a quiet running Honda generator.

Thanks alot for the information. It was real helpful. As far as a quiet Honda generator what would you suggest? I will be doing a lot of residential jobs where the noise may be a problem so I am looking for something that is not too loud. If you have any suggestions about a quiet and effective pressure washer that would also be helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    No personal experiences with Honda generators, but I found this page that seems to give the relevant information.

Honda Generators - Honda`s Portable Electric Power Generator Line

Even the one that produces 60db at operation is pretty darn quiet! And, I think a generator is a wise investment if you live in an area prone to weather-related blackouts.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    3 or 4kw honda, the EU series rock, I have a 2kw EU series and its awesome! It powered a small window a/c and got us thru the first 3 weeks after katrina, we were lucky to have a/c...miserable.

HONDA generators rule!
    1999 Trans Am Firehawk #157 LS1 Roadster

"Weekend Warrior just keeping my cars clean"

Club Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I just picked up a Honda 1000 generator. Haven`t used it yet, but I don`t usually use more than 1 tool at a time (pressure washer, rotary, flex, pc, etc). I figured, it should be enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    We use a 1000 watt (or so) honda at work (laminate countertops) for skil saws, jig saws, etc. out for installing when the customer doesn`t have power. It`s electric start and is probably just a tad louder than a regular sedan at 1500 rpm. I love honda`s mufflers.
    2008 Nissan Titan, 2005 Nissan Altima, 1993 Honda Accord Wagon, 1992 Honda Accord Wagon, 1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo

:waxing:

Post Thanks / Like
    I run a Yamaha EF2600. It dose the job and is not to loud but not super quiet.

It runs a electric pressure washer, vapor steamer, vacuum, extractor, buffers and so on. Not all at one time. I can get around 7 hours of run time from one tank of gas.

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Authorized Modesta Paint Coatings Applier.

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually use a Husky (Home Depot brand) 750w Power inverter off of my car battery. I leave the car running and it`s great with my shop vac, leaf blower and the flex. I haven`t tried the rotary with it yet, but I have a feeling it will work since the flex works great with it.

Good luck,

Steve
    1995 Porsche 968 Cab Speed Yellow
    A-Z Mobile Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    so do you guys think that it will be safe to go with a Honda EU3000? do you guys think that the 3000 is overkill for what I am going to be using? Keep in mind I plan on running a buffer, vaccum, hot water carpet extractor (shampooer), lighting, and other electrical equipment necessary for detailing.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    No, the honda should be fine.I would find out what the highest watt piece of electrical equipment you have and go for there. I would talk to a honda dealier and see what they say.

I use a porter cable 5250 watt unit.I like it, but it is loud. Good luck, Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information