Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ll probably get alot of different opinions on polishes with the PC. I like Optimum polish because it`s pad-dependent (cutting pad; it cuts, polishing pad; it polishes) and it doesn`t dust at all. It is not sun-friendly though. If you`re working in the sun try Poorboy`s. Menzerna makes great polishes too. See what I mean about alot of opinions? You got three opinions from just one person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by integritydetail
    Your dad`s opinion is irrelevant and so is your age. My parents kept me down for years in the family business, they still offer and endless unsolicited advice. Truth is it would be nice to have the support of the ones you love, but I`ve learned that I have to satisfy myself and not react to others opinions. Opinions are like @ss Ho***, everyone has one and they usually stink. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by JoshVette
    Daniel, dispite what others are saying, you should listen to your parents, no one else will love you more then they will and they have your best interests at heart, but when you become old enough you will have to start making decisions for yourself, until then, make them proud by being honest, making good grades, listening when they talk and doing what they say.......if you do those things you may find them supporting your goals and interested no matter what. (go ahead and ask me how I know):grinno: :2thumbs:

Wow, there`s two sides of the coin, for ya.

Post Thanks / Like
    "The three way street". My new favorite project status meeting cliche....

I`d listen to your father. Not because he is your Father and not because he is smart of whatever, he just may be looking at your detailing work and business ethic from a client point of view and is valuing it that way. Dont get pissed and dont get insulted, just prove him wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballlover1
    asleepz... i dont want to seem edgy but lets keep my age out of the equation here.

And by the sound of it i need to lower my prices, i have no problem with that!

How about 250 instead of 300 and 75 instead of 100?
    If you don`t want age in your equation, then don`t come off as a 14 year old. We all know what you are going through. We`ve all been 14 before. It`s kinda a requirement.

It doesn`t matter if you are the best in the world. People will still see you as your age. Make the most of it.

Go out and set your prices. If that doesn`t work, adjust them until it works best for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    New Update on this,

Hos does this sound?

Package one: "Seal-up"

Price:110

Steps:

Wash

Clay-zaino clay

z5 or ksg?

z6

Package 2: "mini Detail"

Price:170

Process:

Wash

clay

ZFX or 106 via PC

Z5

Z6

Vacuum Interior

Wipedown interior

wipe down door shuts

Package 3: "full Detail"

Price: Starts at 250

Process:

wash

engine bay

clay

SIP via rotary

106 via DA

Z5(zfxed)

Z6

Z2(ZFX`ed)

z8

vacuum interior

shampoo/extract carpets

wipe down interior

ZAIO wheels and doorshuts

This is basically the swirl removing package

Is this pretty good?

And right now im working in my garage. This summer i might be mobile in which case ide look into poorboys.
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Josh nailed it on the head with hourly pricing. There is no way to promise people perfection with a set price and not lose money on it - I run into those two-steps that turn into four-steps all the time.

A hard to finish out paint, poorly resprayed panels, marring that is deeper than it looks, etc will add hours to the job, and there`s no way to know that sort of thing until you do some test panels.

Edit: for example, last night I did a 2002 VW Golf for a show. It had no bumpers and the hood had just been painted this week, so I planned on 4-5 hours and a bill in the 150 range. Come to find out that SIP didn`t even touch the marring on the sides, and the hood had some serious holograms after it was washed. I ended up spending over 8 hours on just the hatch, roof and sides of a tiny car. But, since I didn`t quote the owner an overall quote, he was very pleased with the final appearance, and the bill didn`t come as an unpleasant surprise.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    yea... have you ever had an owner get a bill that was a surprise? Ide feel sooo bad about it!

But you are right.

Should i just charge like 230 to start it out and then tack on 30 every hour i correct?
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    yea... have you ever had an owner get a bill that was a surprise? Ide feel sooo bad about it!

But you are right.

Should i just charge like 230 to start it out and then tack on 30 every hour i correct?

Nah, if you`re gonna bill correction hourly it makes sense to charge the same way for interior, lsp app, etc. Being good with a rotary is key here - anything else is too slow at that kind of price.

It generally works out best for both of us (me and the customer) to just figure straight hours times 35. Big goal here is raising the hourly rate to 45-60 without turning people off.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    In South Orange County, California people don`t blink at those prices because the cost of living is high here. For example 20 ounces of blueberries are $12.50 at Costco.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetset4me
    In South Orange County, California people don`t blink at those prices because the cost of living is high here. For example 20 ounces of blueberries are $12.50 at Costco.

Yeah, but blueberries are out of season! Plus they don`t grow any blueberries in CA, even if they were in season. NJ is one of the main blueberry producers, so we get them for about a buck a pint, I think, in season...but before ours are ready, they come here from the Carolinas, and after our season, from Michigan. This time of year they all come from South America or New Zealand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetset4me

Exactly. The price of living is quite a lot lower here then there.
    Daniel J Wendell

Effort Pa/Stroudsburg Area just over the NJ border.
    Post Thanks / Like
    quality of work and how much pride customers take in their vehicles. With people spending more more than ever on vehicles, 500,600,700,800 hundred dollars a month doesn`t seem to be out of the norm even where i live! if your charging prices like that, people expect great work period. If you can provide outstanding results and make them satisfied, you will stay in business. The typical full detail in my area is 100 dollars for a car. My full detail starts out at 160, and people never questioned me because they new the difference between their typical quantity detailer s and quality detailer. In essence i typically pull in the much nicer cars which i get much more enjoyment out of it anyway. Who wants to deal with beat up cars, that have dents, paint problems that cant be correct and horrible interiors? Not me!! I want a customer to look at the car and realize it looks just like new. People know my reputation and quality of work and never really balk at the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    yepp! I have a feeling NJ isnt the best place for a high quality detailer to be. My grandmother lives in Wachung NJ near plainfeild.
    Daniel J Wendell

Effort Pa/Stroudsburg Area just over the NJ border.
    Post Thanks / Like
    yepp! I have a feeling NJ isnt the best place for a high quality detailer to be. My grandmother lives in Wachung NJ near plainfeild.

i live in pa, but you are very wrong on this. NJ has some great detail shops, some of the very best. Northern Jersey is one of the most expensive places to live, and many people have very high end rides. I used to work for a detail shop and jersey, and prices are very high compared to the area i live in. Many places just to clean your 4 mats in a car, can cost over 50 dollars. Typical deluxe car wash is about 30 plus dollars, and a GOOD Quality detail starts at 300 dollars in many places.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dean and Frank both operate high quality detail business in NJ. NJ is like anywhere else; some areas are well off and others are not. I have never understood the logic behind asking others what `your` prices should be. The prices you set should be determined by your own unique business situation. Things to factor include your costs, the prices of your competition, and the type/quality of the service you offer. Pricing your services too high means that you will have less demand for them. Pricing your services too low will limit your profits and may even prevent you from getting the `high end` business. Setting prices at the `high side of the middle`, is usually smart. This allows for sufficient demand for your services and also allows you to make a profit.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information