Post Thanks / Like
    Over the next couple weeks, I have to do a head to toe detail on a 1929 Duesenberg. This car is going to be run through the next RM auction. I have a customer that is a Duesenberg collector (as well as Auburns) and he has decided to take advantage of the market for Duesenbergs. This is one serious car and even though I don`t want to advertise the value of the car, I am sure that with a simple search this can be found. Hense why I am looking for advice. Seriously, when it comes to the looks on these much older classics, it can improve the bid by hundreds of thousands of dollars. It is not about the driveability of the car but instead, the condition and quality of restoration

I handle the details on every car in his collection, so this is by no means the first time i have done work on a car of this magnitude. The thing about this Duesy is that the restoration is about fifteen to twenty years old. Some of his new restorations come back in perfect shape. With the variety of after-market manufactures you can now build a classic car from scratch. This is not the case with this car though. It has mostly original parts that are showing their age (79 years old).

What I am looking for is different ways to do different things. I have my own personal distinct ways of polishing chrome or cleaning carpets etc. I guess what I am getting at is I don`t want to be missing out on a better way or a better product. The more perfect this car gets, the money it will bring in. So if anyone would like to respond or offer their advice in anyway would be greatly appreciated.

First off- What polishing compound do you prefer?

What polishing method do you prefer?

Is there a tool out there that I can`t live without. ie (powerball, dremel. etc.)

Is there a system to removing tarnish or corrosion that you think i might need?

This car is loaded with chrome, aluminum, tin, cast iron(weren`t worried about weight back then.

Second- Which motor and under-body detailer can`t you live without?

Won`t be making the trip with the car to the auction, so which product will last the longest without any additional wipedowns.

What is your favorite (mild) degreaser that is only a spray on and wipe off. I will not be washing this vehicle with any water. Also, nothing strong enough that will eat through paint or dry up gaskets.

Sorry this is so long!!!!

Third- When I tackle these prodjects, I outline a strategy and system ie. paint, polishing metals, interior. Then I set up a square grid. I do this to make sure nothing is looked over or missed.

Do you have a better way?

What do you do to make sure you cover every square inch. This is an extremely long car where almost everything is exposed to the eye and believe me this car is going to be looked over really well.

This is my first car (as a detailer) that will be going through a auto auction of this magnitude. The owner is a awesome guy and I want him to get every possible penny out of this car.

I just figured I would give the pros a chance to show what knowledge that have gained over their careers. I also think that the more suggestions I get the better the detail will be.

So to all of the pros out there, let me hear it. I will get pictures for you and if I use your advise I will give you full credit for it.:clap:

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    O BABY! Duesenberg huh? BIG LEAGUES!! There are a lot better guys then I to give you advise but maybe use menzerna metal polish. Maybe zymol or swissvax metal polish also... but i havent used them and cant testify to the results achieved. I may be wrong but i know a few better guy will step in here.
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    What I usually do for chrome that has excessive residue or rust is use some #0000 steel wool first, to get all the heavy crap off. Then, I use a simple Mother`s Chrome Polish on a Powerball or a buffing arbor attached to a drill (whichever will be more useful in the situation).

Creating Parking Lot Envy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow what a great car…the panels go on forever!

What is the color combination? Exterior pipes?

I like to clean using ONR because of the no rinse factor (total control of each area cleaned) with the way it (the polymer) encapsulates any debris off all the various finishes and materials (paint, chrome, leather straps & seals without any damage) that are on these beauties. No mess, no drips, Eco-Friendly…blah, blah, blah.

You probably have all the tools needed as this is not your first time and the one tool I have found to save finger time is the Sonic Scrubber battery operated brush with various cleaning heads. This tool is my wire wheel wonder and with a different head attachment easily cleans where welding joints, nuts, bolts, etc…are present.

Looking forward to the pictures!

Post Thanks / Like
    for chrome I always soak a peice of 0000 grade steel wool in glass cleaner. Gets all the tarnish off and comes out like a champ. Simple yet highly effective.

Post Thanks / Like
    jake- never tried glass cleaner with steel wool. Give it a try this evening. Thanks!

Paint polisher- Black and Grey is the color scheme. The car goes on forever!!!! If you have seen a picture, you know that the chrome is never ending on this car. He has a newer restoration that is silver and unbelievable. But what is this sonic scrubber, and where do I get it. Thanks!!

Buffme- Have you used the smaller powerball or the larger one. Also have you ever used the Mothers polish that is called Billet or something like that?? Thanks.

Over the next week and a half I will have plenty of time to try new things on the chrome. IT is the last part of the car I am going to tackle before it gets loaded on the transporter. So thanks for the responses. Believe me, by the end of this car, I will have the ultimate technique down for chrome. We have spring coming up and there is a whole lineup to get ready. The owner drives them all around town.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I have used both Billet and Chrome polish from Mother`s with both the mini and regular powerball. Chrome is used just for that, while billet is used for polished/aluminum/other metal parts that can be polished. I don`t think you`ll be disappointed with either of them. But, if you are, for some reason or another, they are both pretty cheap and widely available, so no real time or money lost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Simichrome Metal Polish

Post Thanks / Like
    0000 wool and Carbrite Metal brite, by hand or on a 3 inch with the air polisher

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a few semi solid polishing compounds out there that are good, but for big jobs I still stick with the solid polishing stones. Black, red, and green, all varying in their amount of cut.

The semi-solids are good for polishing things by hand, but for big pieces, like those likely to be found on a Dusenberg, you are going to want to do a lot of the work by machine.

I personally use a set of felt polishing cones along with a die grinder as well as a 3in cotton polishing wheel for a lot of the big sections. Smaller pieces can be done with small polishing cones and the snake attachment on a dremel.

I have done quite a few Rolls Royce`s of that era, so I can attest to the necessity of the machine work with that much metal that needs to be polished. The steel wool suggestions are really good for the more heavily tarnished sections, hit them with the steel wool and then machine polish them out.

The key to achieving a perfectly uniform finish is to do all your finishing by hand so you don`t have any machine polishing lines.

Just work one side at a time, work top to bottom and front to back so you don`t miss anything. Be sure your masking is very accurate and solidly attached, the last thing that you want is to slightly miss with your metal polish and hit paint.

Hope some of that helps, good luck with the show.
    Jonathan Edwards

ATTENTION TO DETAIL

Newport Beach, La Jolla, Montecito

Creating Parking Lot Envy
    Post Thanks / Like
    fergnation - google sonic scrubber you can purchase online or find a store near you

basically it is a souped up battery operated toothbrush.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPolisher
    fergnation - google sonic scrubber you can purchase online or find a store near you

basically it is a souped up battery operated toothbrush.

Yep, you can get them at walmart...

I picked up one, but only used it once...

Post Thanks / Like
    fergnation- Are you sure it`s *chrome* and not *nickel* plating :think: :nixweiss I`d sure find out before you start (I have a fair bit of experience with old nickel plating from other areas of interest and it can be fragile).

Likewise, be careful with upholstery and leather. You don`t` want to over-wet this stuff or over-condition the leather if it`s original.

To clean and degrease without getting stuff wet, I`d use a solvent like PrepSol, but be careful what you let it contact like those gaskets you mentioned (you just can`t always know how something will react).

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator- Most of it is chrome, do to the fact it is a restoration of about twenty years. I do see what youa re saying with the original parts being nickel plating. Nickel plating is very easy to burn through and I have done so on a couple of different occasions.

Ap2tude, alot of great advise but where do I pick up the polishing cones and 3" wheel. I can tell from your advice that you have done this before because I am dealing with all of that. Most of this has to be polished by machine. I jsut can`t get the polish I need out of using my hands. I have been using the dremel the most and it works great. EXCEPT for two things. #1 it is just too small and doesn`t cover the things like the spare wheel covers or headlights. #2 it leaves behind horrible holographic lines. The dremel polishes the hell out of things, but it ends up looking like some novice with a rotary.

So my question is, what do you use to even out the finish by hand? IF you don`t mind me asking. I have tried using a lighter polishing compound so the felt tip doesn`t (burn the lines into it). Also, if you could steer me in the direction of these polishing stones and what type and brand you use, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jshillin- I am going to head to wallmart tomorrow and look for this sonic scubber. IT sounds like a good idea.

I am jsut dealing with trying to restore these chrome or nickel parts (which there are plenty of). This owner has quite the collection of Packards and Auburns and Duesies. Most of them are newer restorations and all I am doing is trying to polish a part that is in good shape. But this Duesy is by far the oldest restoration he has and with the pressure of it going though a auction of a RM quality and the value he thinks he might get out of it, I really have to get down and dirty on it.

Any other advice from you pros will always be appreciated. Once again, I will say that not a day goes by where I don`t learn how to do, or a better way to do something when it comes to my detailing business. I will never be too proud to listen to advice. So if you don`t mind, keep it coming.

Will post pictures of the car next week. Also, the owner informed me that I need to have one of the other Duesies detailed so it can go down there also. The RM Auction wants it there for display purposes. this Duesenberg is in perfect shape and only needs a basic polish and a basic wax so it looks as nice as possible. Honestly, the newer Duesenberg is the most beautiful car I have ever seen. Will post pictures of that car also.

Thanks everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Swing by a Harley Davision motorcycle or custom motorcycle shop and they have all kinds of upper end chrome polishes and they will give you lots of advice. I have used semi-chrome for years but be careful with any kind of steel wool on OLDER chrome because it tends to be thinner and softer than even the chrome from the 60’s. Old school guys have used Windex for years on chrome just for light cleaning.
    -Dennis

My Cars

Thread Information