Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Pardon me for butting into this pro thread, since I am just an observer in this particular forum, and haven`t kept up with the entire thread, but it seems to me that this is the salient point that always comes up in these threads about certification, etc. There is always the camp that thinks that certification is the way to more business, when I would agree that the impediment to more "Autopian" details is simply that the market is limited, because most people don`t care/don`t know the difference.

Please butt in. Sparking debate is promoting knowledge.

Indeed, the market is limited. It`s called supply and demand. There isn`t the demand that some wish for because the skill is simply something most folks feel they do not need or wish to pay for.

.........but if demand increased, so would supply, and in the frenzy of competition prices would fall.

Thanks, but I work hard enough at the craft right now for what compensation I receive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dixieF150scab
    Please butt in. Sparking debate is promoting knowledge.

Indeed, the market is limited. It`s called supply and demand. There isn`t the demand that some wish for because the skill is simply something most folks feel they do not need or wish to pay for.

.........but if demand increased, so would supply, and in the frenzy of competition prices would fall.

Thanks, but I work hard enough at the craft right now for what compensation I receive.
    That is exactly correct. I am glad some still understand economics. While we are on the subject of economics, lets not forget the other way to increase profits, is to increase efficiency and create economies of scale. Increasing profit does not always have to mean raising prices.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TH0001
    Very rarely do I agree with both people...this is a case in which I do... So whats the common ground?

I don`t know that there is a common ground. I do have the utmost respect for Josh`s opinion, but I believe that his idea invites regulation and control, as well as the evil component of money, into a situation where it is not needed. Indeed, I think his vision of what the end result of an association would be is most laudable. Increased standards, increases business, etc. All positive things. However, in the real world..................

Look. This forum is by far the best means of keeping standards high in our specialty. We take the time to come here and exchange ideas, product information, compare techniques, etc. The average Joe Blow who spends his time scratching the hell out of his customers` clear coat and simply smearing some shiny stuff around the interior isn`t going to bother coming here more than once, unless of course, he desires to learn and do better. Then something positive has been accomplished.

The aforementioned notwithstanding, that Joe Blow isn`t going to bother joining an association anyway. He`s going to do what he does for a low price, thus negating the effectiveness of said. If by some chance that organization incurs the power to put Joe Blow out of business, you can bet that I want no part of it. It would be dictating to you and I what products and techniques to use, what prices to charge, the size and decor of our shops, etc.

It`s simply a fact of life that anytime you invite something or someone to take control of any aspect of your life.............it will.

It`s like the thing with building codes. I`m all for ensuring quality construction and what not, but if I simply want to change out a light switch but am compelled by code to upgrade perfectly good wiring when I do it..............I`d rather not.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information