Post Thanks / Like
    I just reloced up here near the UF campus, and obviously its ALOT of apartments in the area. Im still in the process of getting a local #, business license up here, etc. but I feel that I might have difficulty in being mobile. For example my apartment complex wont let you wash your car period. I will be using ONR for the washing so they cant really say much, but I am also concerned with being able to use a rotary since I dont have a generator or anything. Are A/C inverters worth a crap? My truck has two batteries on it.....

just tryin to figure all this out so I dont have to get a college job that pays crap

Post Thanks / Like
    Might want to start asking around for other places to detail. Most apartment complexes are extreamly picky about stuff like that. See if a buddy has a garage or something in the area. Pay a little rent if need be. Personally I wouldn`t even bother trying to find all the little loopholes in your rental agreement to even try to detail there. Quick way to get on their short list and get the boot as soon as they can come up with even a lame reason to kick you out.

Post Thanks / Like
    yea thats what I have been thinking. once i get my business cards in and my extra phone with the local #, I`m going to go to used car dealerships or gas stations and see if I can setup a canopy and pay them like $20 for every day that im there or something

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SShine
    I`m going to go to used car dealerships or gas stations and see if I can setup a canopy and pay them like $20 for every day that im there or something

Now there is a well though out plan of business. Surely there must be plenty of car dealerships and gas stations in your area just waiting for you to walk in the door so you can hand them $20 every time you detail a car. Money for nothing and your kicks for free.

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm I sense sarcasm lol

but seriously I am all ears to suggestions

Post Thanks / Like
    You will probably want a generator - I got one big enough to run a rotary, vacuum, etc off of for around 140 on Craigslist. ONR works in a pinch, although if you have a truck, a pressure washer and water tank make for a much nicer long-term solution (doing wheels and wells with a PW is a joy, doing them with ONR is beyond miserable).
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    What about those storage places where you can store your car for the winter. They usually allow you to do whatever the hell you want as long as you don`t damage their property and don`t seem to care if you pay them the rent. Around here it`s something like 200 bucks a month.

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, I`m talking about the places where the cars are stored individually in one car garages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTFreddy
    By the way, I`m talking about the places where the cars are stored individually in one car garages.

yea I`m looking into that as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Just in fun. Think about it. Why would you want to be in a hurry to pay other people $20 per detail just to solve your problem of not being able to detail at your apartment complex?

There are certainly more options available, such as just going out there and doing the work at the clients location. Hey, I have been doing that for more than two decades and never did understand why so many start up detailers are so eager to give up part of their profit just because they did not take the time to figure out the alternatives.

I remember when I first started out and I wanted to get more involved in boat detailing. I had already been doing cars, however when one of my good customers asked me to detail his boat, I kinda like the idea of being around boats. So, I headed over to a few nearby marina`s and sure enough I was beginning to line up some boat detailing jobs. Of course, in the beginning they would just call me when they had a customer who needed my services. Well, as soon as I began to get more and more work, they quickly realized that they needed to get a piece of the action. That is the point when I realized that I had the choice of either paying them a percentage of each job or going out there and finding my own retail boat detailing customers and keeping all of the income for myself. And since I was my own boss, I really did not have to consider anyone else but myself in the decision. So, when they confronted me and asked me again about having to pay them a percentage, I told them I decided that I would rather not agree to their terms and that they would need to get someone else to finish the boat I was working on at the time. I walked out of that marina that day and never looked back.

Personally, I would highly recommend that you focus more on keeping all of your profits for yourself. Why not just go out there and talk to some small business owners, doctors, dentists, lawyers, etc. and begin to drum up your own retail clients. They are certainly out there. All you need to do is figure out a few good ways to reach those good paying prospects.

And thanks for not taking my original comments to seriously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrorfinishman
    Just in fun. Think about it. Why would you want to be in a hurry to pay other people $20 per detail just to solve your problem of not being able to detail at your apartment complex?

There are certainly more options available, such as just going out there and doing the work at the clients location. Hey, I have been doing that for more than two decades and never did understand why so many start up detailers are so eager to give up part of their profit just because they did not take the time to figure out the alternatives.

I remember when I first started out and I wanted to get more involved in boat detailing. I had already been doing cars, however when one of my good customers asked me to detail his boat, I kinda like the idea of being around boats. So, I headed over to a few nearby marina`s and sure enough I was beginning to line up some boat detailing jobs. Of course, in the beginning they would just call me when they had a customer who needed my services. Well, as soon as I began to get more and more work, they quickly realized that they needed to get a piece of the action. That is the point when I realized that I had the choice of either paying them a percentage of each job or going out there and finding my own retail boat detailing customers and keeping all of the income for myself. And since I was my own boss, I really did not have to consider anyone else but myself in the decision. So, when they confronted me and asked me again about having to pay them a percentage, I told them I decided that I would rather not agree to their terms and that they would need to get someone else to finish the boat I was working on at the time. I walked out of that marina that day and never looked back.

Personally, I would highly recommend that you focus more on keeping all of your profits for yourself. Why not just go out there and talk to some small business owners, doctors, dentists, lawyers, etc. and begin to drum up your own retail clients. They are certainly out there. All you need to do is figure out a few good ways to reach those good paying prospects.

And thanks for not taking my original comments to seriously.

well, I`m moreso concerned with the other apartment complexes rules on car washing rather than mine in particular. Obviously there are alot of collehe students here and alot of apartment complexes. however I realize most students would rather spend money on alcohol instead of getting their car detailed anyways.

Once I get my cards in, I will be visiting business owners as you suggested.

I already have a pressure washer as someone suggested, and I suppose a generator would be a good investment.

Its just alot different up here than the florida keys where there are almost no apartments so being mobile was no problem.

I do however, need to polish my wheels and I`m not sure where to do it at right now

Post Thanks / Like
    Always dig where there is the most gold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrorfinishman
    $20 every time you detail a car.

Who offered $20 per car?

Here`s what SShine said:

Quote Originally Posted by SShine
    I can setup a canopy and pay them like $20 for every day that im there

I think detailing in areas that have heavy traffic is a great idea. You`ll be sure to attract more business, especially if you put out a large canopy. 1 detail job could pay off a whole month`s worth of lot rent.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    if a reasonable deal can be made with the apt complex owners, then go for it. i have to say though...please don`t do the details day after day at your OWN apt complex where you live. just imagine living at one of those complexes and having to listen to a PC or rotary going all day, day after day, outside your window.
    2007 Lexus IS350 | Tungsten Pearl

2012 Honda Accord LX-S | Polished Metal Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paradigm
    if a reasonable deal can be made with the apt complex owners, then go for it. i have to say though...please don`t do the details day after day at your OWN apt complex where you live. just imagine living at one of those complexes and having to listen to a PC or rotary going all day, day after day, outside your window.

i wont be doing any detailing at my apartment complex because the lease says its an automatic eviction.....

and yes I said $20 a day not per detail

Thread Information