Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    i`m curious to see what some detailers make a year

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah me too

Post Thanks / Like
    1. You probably won`t get many professionals to tell you what they personally make a year. I may be wrong, but in my opinion it really isn`t anyone else`s business, anymore than I would ask my customers what they make a year.

2. Even if they did tell you, amounts vary wildly dependent on many things. Is the detailer fixed or mobile? How much overhead do they pay if they are fixed? How much do the mobile guys spend in gas and repairs on their ride? Do they work by themselves, or do they have a crew as well? Do they do full paint correction, basic detailing, or just car washes? Is this a part-time or full-time venture? Where do they live and work? Guys in California charge over double what I can get at times, but the cost of living out there is over double what it is here. How is their market, as in is there much demand for detailing? Are they good at advertising their business and marketing it to the right customer? Do they do wholesale or retail work?

3. For me, I do it part-time and make somewhere between $100 and $50,000,000 a year.

If I seem a little irritated, it is because people in my area give very little respect to detailers. They think we`ll do anything for a buck, ask us what products we use so that they can try doing it themselves and not have to pay us, etc. They ask who we work for, how they can start their own detailing business, etc. I`m not in the business of telling other people how to compete with me. There is no respect in a lot of areas for what we do. The personal questions about the business get old sometimes.

Sorry if I come off as too big a jerk, this has just been a bad week in dealing with people, but I still don`t think it is anyone else`s business how productive our business is. We can`t win many times, because if we make too much people think we`re ripping them off because they don`t respect what we do, and if we don`t make enough, they figure we aren`t any good.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think its an interesting question BUT, like any other business, the best ones are probably underpaid and make 6 figures ...... while the worst ones are grossly overpaid no matter how much they make.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcc

Sorry if I come off as too big a jerk, this has just been a bad week in dealing with people, but I still don`t think it is anyone else`s business how productive our business is. We can`t win many times, because if we make too much people think we`re ripping them off because they don`t respect what we do, and if we don`t make enough, they figure we aren`t any good.

I agree with this statement. What i have figured out (i think), is if you are the best in your region/area then you can charge whatever you want (to some people).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballlover1
    I agree with this statement. What i have figured out (i think), is if you are the best in your region/area then you can charge whatever you want (to some people).

Yes, IF you have the clientale that can afford you and WANT to afford you. I know some that can afford to pay us $200 per hour, but don`t feel it`s worth it and I know some who tip $200 at the end of the day cause they understand the benefit of quality.

I have a client with two F cars that just isn`t into cleaning and detailing them ever, but he`s a great tipper, then I have a client who has a sweet new Vette that he absolutely worships and hovers over me the whole time I`m working but always complains about the price and he has plenty of money and new cars as well....:bat

Just because someone`s rich and you`re the best around doesn`t mean they will pay it. You`ve got to be able to market yourself better then anyone else and know who you are marketing too.

Best thing about being a quality pro detailer for me is making an honest living. Don`t have to swindle or make a sale, no real pressure other then to outdo yourself and to just be the best and let your work speak for itself.:goodjob

Josh
    Perfection Is In The Details

Rated one of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine! :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    EXACTLY! I think that i was thinking what you said i just didnt convey it into that post. But you are EXACTLY right. Great post josh!

Post Thanks / Like
    You might read this posting on this site:

http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detai...ng-profit.html

And personally, I think it is pretty rude to ask such a question.

Regards,

BW

Post Thanks / Like
    ash tray change is a tip waiting to happen? hehe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhschiefs806
    i`m curious to see what some detailers make a year

My suggestion would be to try to be a bit more discreat:secret , not blast it out publically asking what people make per year.

If you really want to try to be polite and respect people`s privacy, you should find the top detailers and ask them in a private message.

So why do you want to know anyways?

Rated one of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine! :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YoMike
    ash tray change is a tip waiting to happen? hehe

Sure, if you don`t like having repeat business....:funnypost

I`m guessing in HI islands you love your repeat clients.:2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly! Ive gotten tons of repeat business because most of the local detailers take the change and i didnt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshVette

I`m guessing in HI islands you love your repeat clients.:2thumbs:
    would be a mistake if I detailed other peoples cars but I don`t

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YoMike
    would be a mistake if I detailed other peoples cars but I don`t

No? How come??

I always wondered if any of the HI islands would be good business for a detailer, figure you`ve got a trapped market, but mostly tourists right?

I was down there about 6 months ago on my honeymoon in Ka`annapala. Wish I didn`t have to leave.:sadwavey:

Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t imagine that the OP`s intent was to offend anyone or to be too personal. He could have worded it a bit better, but most likely he simply wanted to understand how it all pans out in the end financially, or at least a ballpark figure. I am a Respiratory Therapist living just outside of Birmingham, Alabama. In my industy, you can slack it and do the minimum right out of college and make around 28K a year, or with a few years experience, obtaining a higher license level and busting it a bit, you can make up to 90K. I hope I was able to help any aspiring Respiratory Therapists on this forum with this information. I excel in my profession, thus I make more than most, I`m not scared of other Therapists coming along and doing my job better than me, if anything, it helps my profession become more respected. I hope the analogy was obvious. I know the pro`s here don`t want give out trade secrets, nor do I, but I don`t thing jumping on the guy was warranted. Anyone can go to a bookstore and find out how much any given career pays, auto detailing is a strange bird in that regard because it is a career/small business, which changes all the variables, you don`t just clock in and work, it is so much more than that. I tried my hand at detailing 15 years ago (pretty much pre-PC and ONR), I was making great money, but the profit wasn`t there after everything else (time, equip, supplies, etc). So I applaud anyone who is doing well for themselves in that industry, it is very hard work, and very few clients understand how much work truly goes into proper detailing, you get the "oh, it looks great!", but not really the appreciation for the work done. Sorry for the rant, I`m working night shift and we are about to go an hour backwards, so I`ve got an extra hour to kill tonight!! Blain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information