Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll post again that there is an excellent answer to this question on this forum without getting personal. It details startup costs, monthly costs, etc.

http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detai...ng-profit.html

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HiDef Detailer
    First time poster, long time viewer. I think the original poster asked a great question. For someone who is considering Detailing as more than a hobby it would be great to know from current BUSINESS OWNERS about current market trends. Basically, what I`ve gathered from the comments that on average Mobile Detailers probably make >$50k/yr. and Fixed Operators probably make +/- $100k. And I am assuming most of that is not likely profit w/overhead. I don`t know a lot of about each individual market but that doesn`t seem to be a lot of money to "prosper" or grow your business on.

Outside of the usual answers of "I set my own schedule" "I`m my own boss", "I love what I do", and other general statements - can someone pass along a good business case for choosing Auto Detailing over other career options? And yes I have read Detailing for Profit. THANKS!
    I think only you should decide if auto detailing is a good business decision for yourself. You should never be in any business just for the money, however, I understand perfectly that the point of being in business is to make a profit. As you are already aware, there is benefits of being in business for yourself other than the money. One monetary benefit is that once you have established a successful detailing company, it can be sold at later date for a decent sum of money; how much depends on many things. For me getting into this business is a building block for future expansion into other things auto related, such as accessories, tuning, stereos, etc.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Once you get established...

That`s the difficult part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another point is that as far as business goes detailing does have a fairly low sustained overhead. I would say about 90% of your product (thats probably a little low) is labor. So As far as how much $$ you put into each car you are billing is small. If I charge $150 for a basic detail it cost me very little as far as materials (chemicals,soap. clay etc..) theoretically there is a huge profit margin.

What I have found is that this is the double edged curse of great detailing. While my clients are willing to pay me good money for what i do, It is almost impossible to hire or keep good help. Traditionally you would hire workers and pay them a wage that allows for some ammount of profit after they are done on each unit. when you get to high end detailing this theory goes out the window. Every car is different and each job takes as long as it takes. If you dont love what you are doing you wont put in the effort it takes to make the car truly spectacularly clean. So I have found it is a difficult business to grow past one or two members (while keeping your reputation intact)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PROServices

What I have found is that this is the double edged curse of great detailing. While my clients are willing to pay me good money for what i do, It is almost impossible to hire or keep good help. Traditionally you would hire workers and pay them a wage that allows for some ammount of profit after they are done on each unit. when you get to high end detailing this theory goes out the window. Every car is different and each job takes as long as it takes. If you dont love what you are doing you wont put in the effort it takes to make the car truly spectacularly clean. So I have found it is a difficult business to grow past one or two members (while keeping your reputation intact)

I`ve had the same problem. This is a very tough business to find quality help. Too many people out there just want a paycheck and will only do the bare minimum needed to keep getting paid. Both my kids helped me in the summer from 8th grade (and occasionally, even earlier) through high school, plus my older son helped me for nearly a year when he took a year off from college. They both do excellent work even though neither really has a passion for detailing. I also had a girl work for me through the holiday season about 8 years ago who did a great job but that`s been about it as far as quality help goes.

Plus, you have to deal with poor weather that can make it so you don`t even have enough work for yourself, let alone keep paying an employee or two. We had a horrible late spring/early summer here in the Dallas area with nearly daily rain during that time. There is no way with what I was making I could have paid anyone. The long range forecast is for a warmer and drier winter so I am looking for some help-hopefully the forecast is right and I can find someone good and be able to keep that person for a while.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I put all of the inventory from the car including change in a baggie marked as such. This goes a long way especially when the owner sees $1, $5, or $10`s in the bag that have been lost under the seat.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhschiefs806
    i`m curious to see what some detailers make a year

HOW CAN THIS BE A RUDE QUESTION?

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!! IT`S 2009!

People wanting to get into this industry would like to know how much they could make. You can find out what the averages are for all kinds of business people, why not be able to find out for Detailers, stone masons, brick layers, painters, etc...

That is like saying it is rude to ask what your salary will be for a new job. If the employer is not willing to inform you about that until after you are hired, then what is he trying to hide? I myself employ over 18 people and I have never once been asked this question because I make it common knowledge of what you should expect to be paid. What if you were expecting more and you find out it is $10,000+ less than what you were expecting? Would you want to waste your own time and the employers time? I WOULD HOPE NOT!

In an era where personal pricacy is a click away, you are concerned about someone knowing what your industry average pay is? NOT EVEN YOU SPECIFFICALLY!

I say grow up to those people in industries where you hide your salaries! Don`t be bitter b/c someone is asking for advice, be bitter b/c YOU ARE NOT CONFIDENT ENOUGH TO TELL THEM THE RIGHT INFORMATION!

Post Thanks / Like
    It is 2009 now but was not when the thread was started. So you signed up to lecture ppl for not telling what they make? Revived a 2 yr old thread, hmmm

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, since this thread has been bumped up, I`m curious what some charge for the typical 15-20hr correction, 2day on-site details. I`m just curious if it`s, say, closer to $300-400 per car, or $700-800 per car.

Post Thanks / Like
    The amount you make is very broad, but this give you an idea.

Per hour charge ranges from $25-$50 per hour in Socal area. The hourly rate depends on if you are detailing high end car or common daily driver cars. It also depends on how many cars you detail a day, overhead cost, etc, etc.

I know a detailer that does specialty cars for rate of $45 per hour and can spend up to 14 hours. In addition, he sell detail supplies to add to his salary.
    There is place like 127.0.0.1

Showroom Auto Detailing Bullitt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    $45/hr mobile and $35/hr in-house. I have a growing business and now that my name is getting around through the forums, referrals, and through the internet most of my business is correcting paint. On avg. in the past few months I do 5-6 cars a week and anywhere from 8-20hrs on each car, but no less than 8 hrs. Once I bumped my prices up I was stressed that I wouldn`t get one call, but it was just the opposite. I get a just as many calls, and their all individuals who know what they want and know the amount of work and skill required to bring a car back to life properly.
    The Stable:
    08 Ford Explorer Sport Trac: Company Vehicle
    05 Corvette
    01 Mustang Bullitt
    98 Explorer: Loaner Vehicle
    05 Honda Civic: Loaner Vehicle/Daily Driver

http://www.showroommobiledetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    We just sent in a $345k tax return for last year. Okay, feel better. Now, you can go out, buy a trailer and be a professional detailer!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information