1 wax with pc

tires, wheels, wells

windows in and out

plastics, carpets, seats

leather conditioning

on a 4 door sedan -

on a tacoma size truck -

on a escalade size suv -

trying to guage how long it takes others compared to how long it takes me...

Post Thanks / Like
    about 2-3 hours. for outside and another 2-3 hours for inside. Very few exceptions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Way too many variables.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerooni
    about 2-3 hours. for outside and another 2-3 hours for inside. Very few exceptions.

You guys amaze me with your speed. I could never wash, clay, compound, polish, and wax my car in three hours - no way possible I could without doing half arsed work.

Now the interior work I may be able to do in four hours but I cannot get anywhere near your speed on the exterior. I just don`t see how you guys do it so fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now see I can get the outside done usually a lot quicker than I could ever get an inside done. It`s all about technique and know how. Once you have it down it`s really just going through the steps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now see I can get the outside done usually a lot quicker than I could ever get an inside done. It`s all about technique and know how. Once you have it down it`s really just going through the steps.

I guess so. Granted you are probably using a rotary while I am using a UDM so you probably don`t spend near as much time working compound/polish in as I do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bert31
    I guess so. Granted you are probably using a rotary while I am using a UDM so you probably don`t spend near as much time working compound/polish in as I do.

Defiantly. The only time I ever pull out a D/A is only to apply wax. I personally don`t see much of a use for a D/A if your already skilled in using a rotary. Plus I have a ton of other goodies that make doing the job alot easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    5 hrs give or take an hour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bert31
    You guys amaze me with your speed. I could never wash, clay, compound, polish, and wax my car in three hours - no way possible I could without doing half arsed work.

I definitely agree here, if you don`t really care about the amount of correction then I am sure you can fly through a job, truth is one pass doesn`t take care of the majority of paint issues. This is another reason it`s hard to charge so much when there are shops that claim they do the same thing for a lot cheaper, there`s one huge difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well anytime you guys are ever anywhere near Flint Michigan you are always more than welcome to stop by shoot the breeze and watch me detail.I have absoultly no issues at all putting my quality of work against anyone on this board. Not saying I`m the best by any means but I know I`m very very good at what I do and I have a rock solid reputation that keeps bringing them in.

And for the record my paint correction process is a very minimum 3 step process (for really good paint) up to a 6 step process for really messed up oxidzed scratched to crap paint. There is never a time if I have to break out the machines that I will ever do a "one pass and done" process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well anytime you guys are ever anywhere near Flint Michigan you are always more than welcome to stop by shoot the breeze and watch me detail.

I may take you up on that if I am up north. I am always looking to learn.

And for the record my paint correction process is a very minimum 3 step process (for really good paint) up to a 6 step process for really messed up oxidzed scratched to crap paint. There is never a time if I have to break out the machines that I will ever do a "one pass and done" process.

How much time would you guess you spend on a 2` X 2` area using a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    mm good question. I don`t normally work in 2x2 sections (per instruction on the bottles) My process is a little different. I first start with the drivers side of the hood. I take that from start to finish to figure out exactly how many steps it`s going to take to get my desired result. Once I know which steps I need to take I go back to my first step (usually a medium compound) finish the hood. Then I move onto the trunk, then the roof, then I go down the sides. Like I said it`s all pretty automated to me I do every car the same process. Really eliminates wasted time on my end. For me this process works out the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn`t attacking you jake, just merely implying that most shops that deal in volume and push cars out the door do not take the adequate time needed per vehicle. Sorry you took it personally, I wasn`t even referring to you. Devils advocate on your statement of reputation, I know many people who go on and on about their rep that know little about the profession. Once again not meaning you in any way. The trouble with reputation and this business is most lamen swear by bs products and bs procedures, the lack of knowledge to the average consumer creates huge margin for error in gaining reputation.

Post Thanks / Like
    i am a noob by all standards but to:

wash/clay/first pass polish/second pass polish/wax + interior, that would like take me at least 6 to 7 hours, depending the size of course.

but i have been finding ways to `speed` things up or basically work more efficiently.

Post Thanks / Like
    5 - 6 hrs for most situations. But I ALWAYS tell my customers that the detail will take "as long as it takes" I also charge over 100 dollars more than any other shop in town.

The best way to cut down your time is to do the same basic patterns for every car.

Here is how I do my interior detailing (2.5 to 3 hrs)

Remove all the floor mats and move the front seats all the way forward

Clean up the mats and leave them to dry

clean out the trunk (Usually vac, apc, steam, vac and stripe); spray wax jamb and dress seals

Driver Side Rear, Pass Rear, Pass Front, Driver Front,

I usually vac, apc, steam and then vac and stripe the carpets.

Always work from the top down, and from the inside out,

If you are working on leather condition it last so you dont smudge it as you finish the carpets

I dont clean the interior glass until after ive cleaned the outside glass because you have no way to know if it is clean or not. Leave the windows rolled down while you are cleaning the interior so you dont get dressing on them

Work systematically and the speed will come naturally. That being said, dont push for speed always make quality your goal. Minimum wage is the foundation of hourly workers, True professionals get payed what they are worth because they focus on the product not the production time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information