Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,....just bought a can of Cerium oxide and plannig to remove scratches cause by dirty wiper blade.

Question, What kind of pad should I use with it? Can I use polishing/cutting pad that design for car`s paint?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    See this link, I`m pretty sure you need to use that white felt bob thingy - How about that for a technical description! Note the advice to use the fastest electrical drill you can get your hands on. I have no affiliation with Caswell, just found it in my search to clear up my own BMW Glass Hope this is helpful.

Caswell Inc. - Glass Polishing Kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner
    See this link, I`m pretty sure you need to use that white felt bob thingy - How about that for a technical description! Note the advice to use the fastest electrical drill you can get your hands on. I have no affiliation with Caswell, just found it in my search to clear up my own BMW Glass Hope this is helpful.

Caswell Inc. - Glass Polishing Kit

Thanks.

Would I be able to buy the felt pad/bob at the local hardware store like Home Depot or Ace...etc.?

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a headsup... the slurry that you`ll use will sling everywhere. This is very messy work.

Use old sheets, painter`s drop clothes, etc.

Once it dries it can be difficult to remove from trim, molding, etc.

Good Luck.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, for the heads up Jimmy. Also I have come to learn that the glass MUST be

thoroughly and meticulously cleaned and preferably clayed prior to buffing with the felt bob and cerium oxide slurry. Also, great care must be taken while you are buffing to not introduce any sort of sand/grit as you WILL end with lots of swirled scratching.

Another tip I gleaned is that the felt bob should be "charged", meaning, the day before the new felt bob should be saturated with the cerium oxide slurry and allowed to dry. Thus, when you actually begin to buff the glass the felt bob is already "Charged" with cerium oxide and will polish the glass from the onset rather than having to become saturated during the actual buffing process itself.

Also, while buffing keep the slurry/glass surface `wet` as any dry buffing will generate unwanted heat - not good at all for the glass!

Opass, I don`t think the felt bobs are available at Home Depot, ACE, etc, you might try a local auto glass supply house, and of course they are available online.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner
    Thanks, for the heads up Jimmy. Also I have come to learn that the glass MUST be

thoroughly and meticulously cleaned and preferably clayed prior to buffing with the felt bob and cerium oxide slurry. Also, great care must be taken while you are buffing to not introduce any sort of sand/grit as you WILL end with lots of swirled scratching.

Another tip I gleaned is that the felt bob should be "charged", meaning, the day before the new felt bob should be saturated with the cerium oxide slurry and allowed to dry. Thus, when you actually begin to buff the glass the felt bob is already "Charged" with cerium oxide and will polish the glass from the onset rather than having to become saturated during the actual buffing process itself.

Also, while buffing keep the slurry/glass surface `wet` as any dry buffing will generate unwanted heat - not good at all for the glass!

Opass, I don`t think the felt bobs are available at Home Depot, ACE, etc, you might try a local auto glass supply house, and of course they are available online.

Hello folks,

I finished fix the windshield yesterday. The swirl marks on the glass are GONE.

Did not have the Felft Bob and used the 3" Country Green Polishing pad instead. Just wet the pad for a few minutes and applied the slurry on it. I used the spray bottle with water to make sure the working area won`t dry up. It turned out no ill affect. The scratches are gone. Mission completed.

Just make sure you wash the car with a lot of shampoo at least 2 times to flush out all the glass compound out.

Excellent product. Be prepare, it is a messy process. Cover the paint and trim prior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the Update Opass!

I`m glad it worked out for you! Any pics before/after?

Thread Information