Post Thanks / Like
    Nope... not a polish related question.

As I`m sure most of us are, I am a member on a number of other vehicle specific forums, and as it tends to happen I post work I`ve done for members, general advice, and the occasional product review or "how to" for the benefit of the community.

Lately its getting to a point where I don`t want to post anything b/c immediately following any post about detailing I`m bombarded with PM`s and emails asking all manner of questions. Its as if most people think they`ll get a different answer if they converse one-on-one rather than just posting a new thread or question in the correct forum.

This morning I logged onto one of these sites to find just over a dozen new PM`s since yesterday... some real jems include:

"Hey quick question... can you give me some pointers on how to detail my truck? I`ve never really done more than wash and I want to do it right this time"

We all know this is NOT a quick question.

"I was just wondering if you`ll be in the Reno, NV area anytime soon... I`d be willing to pay a couple hundred $$ to have you get some scratches out of my wifes new car"

For the record, I`m in So Cal... a trip to Reno for a couple hundred bucks just doesn`t seem worth it.

To stem the tide a bit I posted this thread on the offending forums, in your guys opinion does this seem too harsh?

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan06SS

I don`t mean to come off like an ******* or anything and I don`t intend to offend anyone at all. I`m always willing to help where I can, but I`m getting inundated with PMs and emails requesting one-on-one advice about products, techniques, and prices for detailing.

If you have a question about detailing please post it in the forums, that way if anyone else has the same question I don`t end up answering it over and over and over and over again. Like I said, I`m willing to help, but it would make much more sense to have answers to questions in the forums where they are accessible by all members and able to be searched down the line if someone needs answers. In most cases there are other members besides myself that can contribute valuable information to the answer as well... I may be good at what I do, but I am by no means perfect and theres always other unique perspectives other guys can contribute as well.

Secondly, I am continually flattered that so many of you like my work and want me to detail your trucks, but please don`t contact me just to find out what I`m charging with no real intention of ever having me do the work... especially people who claim they`ll make a 5+ hour drive from another state to have me wash their truck... thats just silly... it`d be a mess by the time you got it back home again. In the same line of questions please don`t ask me to detail your vehicle if you live hours or days away from me... I don`t ever intend to jump a plane w/ my supplies and detail out of state... its just not cost effective... unless you offer me a couple thousand $$ plus expenses

I really do appreciate all the feedback and praise, I take each and every comment/inquiry to heart, but at the end of the day... I don`t like getting stroked.

Thanks for understanding guys.

Of course I always refer people outside my area to autopia to request a local detailer, but often times it seems they don`t want a referral, they want me to do the work... flattering, but annoying at the same time.
    dylan von kleist | technical director & product development | adam`s premium car care
    e: dylan@adamspolishes.com | toll free: [866] 965 - 0400 | shop online at adamspolishes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that`s quite fair. If members want answers to their questions, they should:

1) Search. It`s the most powerful tool this forum has to offer. Most questions end up being answered 4-5 times because new members don`t take the time to do research on their own.

2) Post a new thread. This option should be reserved for when you have a truly unique question that has never been tackled before.

Those members who wish for a particular detailer to perform work on their car should bear in mind geographic differences.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not too harsh at all. You were right on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reasonable and to the point, not harsh at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think it`s too harsh. Parts are maybe a bit harsh but you seem to make it known that you are willing to help. So in the overall it`s a good post.

I saw the original post just now too. I so wanted to sign up and post some really dumb questions. :chuckle:
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueZero
    I don`t think it`s too harsh. Parts are maybe a bit harsh but you seem to make it known that you are willing to help. So in the overall it`s a good post.

I saw the original post just now too. I so wanted to sign up and post some really dumb questions. :chuckle:

HAHA... I think what sent me over the edge was this one... a pm by a forum member who shall remain anonymous:

.. I WANT TO PAINT THIS BEEST SOON ITS HAS ITS SHARE OF IMPERFETION.. BUT AFTER I WANT TO HIER YOU.. NO JOKE I LIVE IN CENTRAL CALIFORNIA BETWEEN MERCED AND MADERA THIS TOWN IS CALLED CHOWCHILLA. AND ALSO I HAVE A BED COVER AND **** ALSO GIVE ME PRICE UNDERNEATH THA HOOD *** WELL.. HOLLA

and yes.... it was in that size, all caps, that color.... :bolt

I think my IQ dropped a few points just reading it :har:
    dylan von kleist | technical director & product development | adam`s premium car care
    e: dylan@adamspolishes.com | toll free: [866] 965 - 0400 | shop online at adamspolishes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    That wasn`t harsh at all. You should see some of the same old questions hashed and rehashed on a few firefighter websites I belong to...

Thread Information