Post Thanks / Like
    Fellow Autopians,

I am in need of a bit of help. I have never built a website before and on a satisfaction scale of 1-10 I`m on 6 right now. I think the website looks clean and decent. Do you guys have any other tips for me to make it clean, straightforward and professional? Here is the link. http://atouchofenvy.com

On a separate note, most changes applied to that website but when I type the www in front it takes me to the page where a few changes were not done (font case, and others). I can`t seem to figure out how to either direct the http://www.atouchofenvy.com to atouchofenvy.com or how to update the www one. Any ideas?

Please bash all you want but I want some constructive criticiscm as well.

Thank you!
    May I interest you in my Brazilian wax?

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay well it`s too simple.

Try Art - Blue Sfear and look for layouts and design ideas you can incorporate. A lot of this is heavily photoshop based so try and be creative with a layout design. Other then that, the dynamics are good.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s nice & clean, but needs more pics. I would center your title, it looks a bit out of place right aligned.

Post Thanks / Like
    The pics will come... Those are just 1 pic of each car, it will open a gallery for each once I have the links done.

Anyone with an idea to why the www is not updated with the correct files? Or is it just showing like that to me? I cleaned my cookies and temp internet files...

Post Thanks / Like
    My suggestion would be to see if you can get your text on the page without the ends being cut off on the page. Personally, I hate going to a website where I have to scroll right and left to read the text. Yours isn`t bad, but I just think fitting it all in nice and neat would clean it up a bit further.

I wish I could answer your question about the www, but I haven`t a clue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcc
    My suggestion would be to see if you can get your text on the page without the ends being cut off on the page. Personally, I hate going to a website where I have to scroll right and left to read the text. Yours isn`t bad, but I just think fitting it all in nice and neat would clean it up a bit further.

I wish I could answer your question about the www, but I haven`t a clue.

What resolution do you use? I`m not seeing anything cut on mine. Is it on the main frame or the black (left) frame?

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I wasn`t thinking, but my resolution is only 1024x768. I washed cars today in the record 105 heat, and I`m kinda fried right now. I have never really messed with the resolution on my monitor, but maybe I should.

By the way, I like your explanations of processes and answers to potential questions on your site. They seem to be worded well and are informative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Point taken, I`ll try to restrict the width of the text and to use the next line if over it, instead of having to scroll. Thank you on the FAQ. It was mostly pulled from here or from personal experience.

I still gotta pick a decent font that most people will have. The font I used is Bank Gothic Medium and it`s not available for most people. Including my computer here at work (my primary job).

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I just tried different resolutions with no change. The part I have problems with is the right hand side of the page, on every page with the exception of the home page. It isn`t cut off very much, but it is definitely encroaching upon the text. The white portion of the page has the main text of your site, and you don`t want anyone to be even slightly put off at reading it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcc
    Well, I just tried different resolutions with no change. The part I have problems with is the right hand side of the page, on every page with the exception of the home page. It isn`t cut off very much, but it is definitely encroaching upon the text. The white portion of the page has the main text of your site, and you don`t want anyone to be even slightly put off at reading it.

Got it... I see what you mean now. I`ll try to fix it. Although I don`t know how... lol. I got some friends that mess with dreamweaver... let`s give it a shot!

Post Thanks / Like
    `Kapinnn - Couple of suggestions.\r\n1 - Not sure what the issue with WWW is. Both looked the same to me. WWW shouldn\`t have any affect. It\`s just the \"Home\" DNS entry and should reflect same as no WWW. Try deleting or emptying your cache in your browser.\r\n2 - Don\`t right justify any of your text or logos.\r\n3 - Extremely simplistic look and design, which I see a lot in detailers for some reason. Try making or finding some nice quality buttons for the left. Or abandon the entire home-built look feel and use a more complex template or CMS.\r\n4 - If you manage your hosting server and can use a Database, try using a CMS (Content Management Solution) tool like Joomla or Mambo. There are a TON of free templates that require no design capabilities and looks professional. A professional web site is key as being your up-to-date brochure. In other words, if you don\`t know HTML, don\`t bother. Focus on content and information, not the complex time consuming design and building the code. You\`ll spend hours tweaking it and trying to figure stuff out if you\`re not into HTML.\r\n5 - Build and publish some kind of pricing structure with notes and comments about obtaining a quote. You need to let your web site visitor know approximately what you\`re charging.\r\n6 - Remove the \"under construction\" in the image section. This is a typically no-no in web site setup. It\`s either ready or not. You have 2 nice photos, so it\`s not under construction, it\`s working. Add photos as you get them.\r\n\r\nThat\`s all I got and I\`ve built hundreds of sites.\r\n\r\nGood luck!`

Thread Information