Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, i am 14 years old. and i am currently thinking about buying a shop (it is now being used for storage for some cars). i already have a "detailing company". it is not official (by official i mean like having insurance and all). i am thinking about making it official. i havent looked at this garage too thourally(sp), just the exterior. i am going to be going to look at a 914 GT that is inside it to buy in about 3 weeks or something like that. and i think im going to ask the owner if he wants to sell the garage. i am just wondering what you guys think on the subject... also what you guys would recomend in the way of wash bays (how can i get one, are they wayyy too expensive and is it just better for right now to just wash the cars outside for right now) also flooring and stuff like that. for all those people that say theres no way he can do this on his budget or whatever, i do own a 1977 porsche 911 and a 1974 porsche 914 (i bought them both with my money), and am going to go look at a 68 mercedes 280 sl in a couple days. so i dont have the budget that most 14 year olds have. i would appreciate anybody input on this. also how much trouble is it to get the buseness liscense and insurance and all?

Post Thanks / Like
    i would question how you make the kind of money that would take at age 14 first of all. a few more con`s, what are you a freshman? 8th grade? stick with school, get a real job and keep your hobby of cars on the side. you know you can`t operate a succesful business part-time correct?

ok now that i got the dad part out of the way. you should probably be asking your guardians these questions. maybe you should start out with something much more simple like detailing friends of the families cars, or your current clients and hit it full steam during school breaks. believe you me when youre stuck in your garage breaking your back and ruining your shoulders polishing 4 years from now while your buddies are all at a frat party getting seriously educated to obtain a top notch profession you will have some regrets. im not aware of the business laws in va, but i dont even know if what your contimplating is legal at that age. how many lawns did you mow to buy the few sleds you already have? looking back when i was 14, i would have missed out on so much if i made the move youre thinking of. good luck though to each his own.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m almost positive that there are legal issues with you being underage. From what I can remember, US law does not explicitly state that parties to a contract must be adults, but it gives much consideration to situations where minors are entered into contracts.

My concern is that, unless you hired a lawyer for support, a lot of the contracts you made with customers would be void or voidable. Your situation is especially unique, and typical law books only seem to touch on situations where the older party makes an unfair contract with a minor, in which case the minor can typically default on the agreement without any liability.

You`re better off talking about this with your parents. I`d suggest talking to a lawyer as well if you really intend to give this a shot.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballlover1
    i do own a 1977 porsche 911 and a 1974 porsche 914

It must be nice to own all these cars and not able to legally drive.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    You could always detail while finishing your education, if that`s your intention? Detailing part time will pay way more that the typical college student minimum wage. If you look at the industry from an entrepreneur business owner angle it can be a profitable venture. If you look at it as doing the actual labor long term, you`ll be breaking your back for a low end wage. If you stay focused and keep business minded throughout your education, it will give you more drive while you’re learning. Good luck with what ever you decide, you seem like you`ve accomplished more at 14 than most adults.

As far as your question about a wash bay, make sure the shop has an area pitched to a high flowing drain that the city will allow you to use to wash cars over. Due to EPA, washing outside isn`t allowed unless there is a drain that dumps into the city feed and not into the storm.

Budget wise, to open a nice shop, it costs about as much as one of your cars. Not a big deal.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I too would like to know how you have the money to buy these cars, especially with the work laws for people your age, it`s obvious no one would hire you because of your age let alone give you the kind of wage to buy these cars let along insure them and put gas in them...so my guess when you say "your" money you mean money your mom and dad put in your bank..either way, stick with school...Way to young to get yourself into something like this...once you hit high school you wont have time for running this business, unless you plan to fit some details in during recess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Several things you will need to do. Check with the planning and zoning office to confirm that you can have the type of business in that location. Incorporate as either a S or C corp. This way any contractual relationships will be between the corp and the client. Get a business license from your local jurisdiction. Now that you have a license and a location and since you will be in school 8-9 months of the year and 6+ hours a day you will need employees to do the detailing and office management. Potential customers will want to have someone available during normal business hours right? Hopefully you get the idea that this is a little more complicated than renting a building and hanging up a sign. Remember that after you sign the lease and hire the employees the landlord whats his money each month and the employees what their paychecks each week regardless of the number of cars you`ve detailed.

As others have said get your education and do the detailing when you have time after all your school work is done.

Post Thanks / Like
    The guys are being harsh, but it likely comes from expeirience and knowing how hard it can be to maintain a side business and a full time occupation (work/school).

I`ll put it simply do you know:

-What your overhead costs will be.

-What the general scope (as best as you can research) of the market is (both in $$ and man hours).

-What`s your target market share?

-How much do you need to charge an hour to cover your expenses and to turn a profit.

-What are the details of Insurance, what liabilities are they going to cover.

-What`s a realisitic expectation of how long it will take to turn a profit.

-What`s your tax position, can you register a company under your name at 14 or do you need to register it under someone else`s.

-Are you even allowed to work in your own shop (being 14) if you do get insurance. I know you Yanks are sticklers for liability and lawsuits and all that jazz. Up here (Ontario) there`s minimum ages for employment AND a minimum age for labour in shop enviroment.

-I think the biggest one is: Being 14 how easily do you find people trust you to work on their car. Perception is a big part of sales... and I`d laugh off a 14 year old asking for ~200 to detail my car. Having new customers take YOU seriously might be a challenge, do you have an older business partner that could act like a front, dealing directly with the customers while you do the work etc. One thing that might help with this is to get surplus body panels, tape them off and tackle various jobs. Hang them on the walls to show customers what you`re capable of. Anything from correcting oxidation, heavy marring/scratching to simple things like the difference between untreated panel/cleaned/waxed.

If you can`t answer the majority of the points above maybe you need to do a bit more research, pick up some small business planning books and read up on how to do a sucessful business plan. It`s much easier to sort these things out now while you have nothing invested then try and figure them out later while you`re trying to get business in.

Good luck, and if it works out for you post up some pictures of your shop.

Cheers!
    -07 Impreza SE Sport Wagon

-71 MGB GT

Post Thanks / Like
    While I think that a lot of the comments by the professionals are very accurate, it is a shame that they very dissmissive of your enterprenuerial spirit. I applaud your efforts to research a vocation that you are obviously passionate about. It might have been better received if your request for information was worded differently. Perhaps outline what you are currently doing in your detail business, what your short & long term plans are, how you expect to get professional training, what your capitalization sources are, etc. As a small business owner you need to protect yourself, your assets and since you are a minor, your parents assets, with a legal business entity and proper insurance. Every state differs regarding licensing, labor laws, environmental laws, etc. In our state if you are employed in your family`s business the labor laws are less restrictive. For example my daughter can work in my husband`s tire business at 14, but he could not hire another 14 year old that is not a member of his household to do the same job.

Now for the "Mother" portion of the talk. An education is priceless! Combine doing what you love and are passionate about with a good education and you will enjoy your career. An make sure that you take all the computer and accounting classes that are available...as a banker I see lots of people that are good at their "craft" but cannot track expenses or income, are undercapitalized and their businesses fail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wish my son had half your ambition.... Good luck you`ll have a lot of obsticles to overcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay..I have read through your other threads and I think you need to slow it down a bit. I was excited like you when I first started detailing too but you have only been doing this for 2 months, doing a car a weekend wont justify the cost of buying a shop. How long is it going to take you to start making a profit given shop costs, product costs, licensing..etc..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua312
    I too would like to know how you have the money to buy these cars

Those cars are actually really cheap now-a-days.

If you are 14 years old you should forget about making money unless it`s a necessity. Enjoy your youth!

Post Thanks / Like
    southpactire- VERY GOOD POST :clap:

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Southpractice. Well said.
    Perfection Is In The Details

Rated one of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine! :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southpactire
    While I think that a lot of the comments by the professionals are very accurate, it is a shame that they very dissmissive of your enterprenuerial spirit. I applaud your efforts to research a vocation that you are obviously passionate about. It might have been better received if your request for information was worded differently. Perhaps outline what you are currently doing in your detail business, what your short & long term plans are, how you expect to get professional training, what your capitalization sources are, etc. As a small business owner you need to protect yourself, your assets and since you are a minor, your parents assets, with a legal business entity and proper insurance. Every state differs regarding licensing, labor laws, environmental laws, etc. In our state if you are employed in your family`s business the labor laws are less restrictive. For example my daughter can work in my husband`s tire business at 14, but he could not hire another 14 year old that is not a member of his household to do the same job.

Now for the "Mother" portion of the talk. An education is priceless! Combine doing what you love and are passionate about with a good education and you will enjoy your career. An make sure that you take all the computer and accounting classes that are available...as a banker I see lots of people that are good at their "craft" but cannot track expenses or income, are undercapitalized and their businesses fail.

:werd: Very good advice!
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information