Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not work for a detail shop first, get more experience under your belt. Like others stated, get your education. Education is priceless!!!! I have stated this to my nephew many times; he has been running one form of business or another since he was 15. But he never made a move without discussing it with me or his parents. He actually sold two of them for a very nice profit. He will even state that it was his education that has allowed him to understand money and business and put him a notch above his competitors. I applaud your drive, where most kids your age have video games glued to their hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    jakec- That too is good advice :xyxthumbs An education is vital in most *any* field, even detailing (learning by trial-and-error is a bad way to go, voice of experience...). There are even detailing courses (AutoInt`s Prep Excellence) that experienced pro detailers attend to further expand their skill sets.

Detailing isn`t brain surgery, but it can be a little more complicated than some might first imagine. You sure wouldn`t want an irreperable "oops" with a customer`s car

Post Thanks / Like
    Whitejavas500 is 16 and he does detailing and people trust him to detail there cars. Why would they trust this boy
    Just trying to keep my family`s cars clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are professional people out there that you can consult with in regard to buying this property. I am sure they would be better able to offer the advice you will need. Also, it would be a good idea to talk with the people at the US Small Business Administration office in your area. Small Business Administration - Richmond

Remember, `people who say it cannot be done, are usually interupted by others doing it`.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading back on this kid`s previous posts I don`t think there is any truth to this...I will remain skepticle until proof is given.

However it is true, then I have to repeat what most have said and WAIT!!

Being 14, you can`t even drive yet, you can`t get zoning permits, you can`t legaly buy anything on your own that isn`t paid cash.

And if you parents actualy do help you to get this, you are going to work yourself to death! Working after school atleast 6 days a week to keep the income high enough to pay for everything as well as homework and having some kind of child hood...There is no way to have that much time.

Another side note...You are too young to get enough honest business.

If I walked into any business to get a service done and the only person around is some kid...I would just turn around and walk out.

I am 21, I`ve graduated high school and have completed some college. I have considered starting the detailing business, but knowing how much work is involved I have still kept it just a hobby.
    2002 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus

--4.7l V8 SOHC

2004 Dodge SRT-4

--2.4l L4 DOHC Turbo

1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby

--2.2l L4 SOHC Turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    Running a shop like that will likely eat up a ton of your time, all for money that you`ve got nothing to spend on (once you get past a PS3, it`s not like you`ve got a mortgage or child support). Your ambition is impressive but you`re still 14 and you`ve gotta live a little.

I`d suggest knocking out a detail or two a week in your driveway, by the time you get to high school you`ll be making 2-3x what your friends make working less hours - it worked out exceedingly well for me. I`ve never been able to justify the additional costs of a rented shop - yes I could make more money overall, but the first 10 hours of every week would go into overhead instead of right into my pocket.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone think this kid isn`t gonna come back? He hasn`t responded since asking the first post....
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrorfinishman

Remember, `people who say it cannot be done, are usually interupted by others doing it`.

Most of us aren`t saying it can`t be done, if you think a 14 year old entering this business and forgoing everything else is a good idea you would make a horrible father imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrorfinishman

Most of us aren`t saying it can`t be done, if you think a 14 year old entering this business and forgoing everything else is a good idea would make you a lousy source of advice and info imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are so gullible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GranPrix
    You guys are so gullible.

Heh heh, do you know something the others don`t?

I take it you figure baseballlover1 was just pulling the ol` Autopia chain and that his original post was a load of bull....

Post Thanks / Like
    i am very sorry about not responding. but i am going to address some of peoples responses before saying sorry again. now to the finish school side of it. i am 14 going into 9th grade (high school), my family knows that i am going to finish school and as do i. i am not that tupid as to drop out of the private school that i go to a start trying to pursue a job that as it sits right now is going to earn me 24,000 a year with no overhead. as to being too young to buy a building, i would get my mother to sign for me or my grandmother and not my father becuase he recently bought a brand new building and owns a retail store and any1 that has been in retail knows that your credit is very low (expecialy now). now also i have worked in my fathers store and it doesnt seem as tho any1 cares about me being 14, on the contrary i think they rather like the idea of a 14 year old trying to sell them 100 shirts and 700 suits. as to the not enouph beuseness, i am currently doing about 4 or 5 cars a week, and even though my posts may not be up to the caliper that some of you people may be used to i do have some skill in this area. i am kindof offended that some of you may think that i should just throw in the towel and give up. now also 2 days ago me and my father found another garage/shop which would be more suited for my needs. it is a little bigger and with it i would be storing peoples car there. and me being the son of a SCCA driver, and being freinds i already have people interested in the area to store there racecars and trailers there. the way i would do it would be make it so that the storage income would pay for the mortgage and alll my expenses and all the detailing money would go straight into my saving FOR COLLEEGe. now if anyone else has any other recomendations or advice for me please ask me. all your posts are very helpful even though they may be a put down but i was probobly asking for it given my 1st post`s wording. and im sorry that i didnt respond i was at VIR for the weekend and before that i was at market for my dads store.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua312
    I too would like to know how you have the money to buy these cars, especially with the work laws for people your age, it`s obvious no one would hire you because of your age let alone give you the kind of wage to buy these cars let along insure them and put gas in them...so my guess when you say "your" money you mean money your mom and dad put in your bank..either way, stick with school...Way to young to get yourself into something like this...once you hit high school you wont have time for running this business, unless you plan to fit some details in during recess.

no this was my money earned from my barmitzvah and detailing a little of it was also the money i got from working on dads racecar.

Post Thanks / Like
    good luck whatever you decide to do, all im saying is if youre planning on washing and waxing a high volume of cars a week you should have no issues. if youre planning on intriguing high dollar customers who demand top notch work i`m afraid you`re going to have a tough time getting the respect you need to do so.

Post Thanks / Like
    baseballlover1- I`m glad to hear your query is on the level, and you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders.

The others here can offer better advice concerning going into this business than I can, but I hope that it works out for you.

If you ever have any questions about how to do some specific aspect of detailing, please don`t hesitate to ask; there`s usually somebody here who`s dealt with a given issue.

Being the son of an SCCA driver helps explain your taste in cars..wonder if you`ll have more fun in the 911 or the 014 :think: Either one oughta be a lot of fun.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information