My market drives me nuts. Nobody wants to pay anything. We just got a call from a limo company with 2 limos to detail. Of course, they didn`t mention at first that they had limos, they just wanted pricing on our detailing services, and my wife quoted them the basic prices for a car/truck (90) and suv/van (120). They couldn`t believe how high our prices were, and then let us know that they weren`t interested in paying those prices.........for LIMOS!! Yes, they turned down a price of $120 per limo for a full interior and exterior detail. Now, we don`t do paint restoration like many of you guys, but we`re talking full wash/wax/exterior dressing/carpet/upholstery/leather/windows/jambs/etc., and they thought we were outrageous. Now, of course, I wouldn`t have done it for $120 anyway, but they just asked for pricing, not limo pricing. But they balked at the regular pricing anyway.

They then asked how much just to "put a good coat of wax on the exterior for the winter", and told us they had to do it on a Friday, the day I typically have good paying customers that want their vehicles done. It is only July, and these peole think that a "good coat of wax" now will last them through the winter. People here are absolutely nuts.

We get a lot of people that want us just to come clean a leather seat for them, clean up a spill in their floorboard, just wash the outside of one vehicle, etc. We also get a lot of calls at 3:00PM on a Friday wanting us to come detail their vehicle for the weekend that same day. Yeah, sure, no problem. Does anyone else have problems with their market not understanding the value of a detail? I have some good customers, but sometimes the ridiculous calls start to get to me, especially on slow weeks where these are the only types of calls that I seem to get.

I`m starting to get into just basic car washing here because people have no perception of value whatsoever with regards to this business. I quoted someone $15 at a local business I deal with to wash the exterior of their car, dry it, and apply tire shine. Their response was "What, you don`t include the interior too?". For $15, I think not.

Who else has this kind of market, and what do you do to make things work?