Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    So me and my buddy are out washing my (parents) 48` Tiara Express, when some one walks by commenting on the job we are doing, whichj trans lates him into asking if I detail boats for work. I told him I actually have a small car detailing bussiness, but would like to get into boats. We agree on a wash on his MASSICE Vicem Motor Yachts 54` which can be seen here:

Vicem Yachts

Anyway, he wants us to get into a full detailing of the boat, and I need marine detailing products. So far I have decided on the Big White Marine line which is basically FK1`s marine line, so it must be good.

Just looking for some advice as to products, and any tips and tricks would be awsome!

Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been detailing boats for a while now, and I must say, they are a totaly different breed than cars.

If the fiberglass is oxidized, you may need wool and a cutting cream to get the fade out. Otherwise, you can get away with wool and a cleaner wax with a topper.

I personally like Aquatech for their line of boat products. Their cleaner wax lasts longer than most sealants on cars, and goes on great and gets out defects with wool.
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t be afraid to use wool and a higher speed on boats. I use Four star 4-40 for boat details.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, seems like fiberglass doesent like foam pads, just wool. And you WILL NOT get all swirls out and you wil still find holograms, I think that is just the nature of fiberglass.
    Showroom Shine Details

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Ben,

One trick would be figuring out how to price a full detailing of that 54` yacht. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ben,

Be careful. It appears that the Vicem Motor Yachts have an epoxy coating over wood. I would highly recommend that you seek out professional advice directly from the manufacturer. Since the surface may not be fiberglass gelcoat, I would certainly not jump to using any type of wool pad without a recommendation from the manufacturer. Hey, these boats are expensive. Get the proper advice and then proceed with caution.

Just a few helpful thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like
    We`ve been doing just a ton of boats and RV`s here lately. So far from what I`ve used Meg`s RV/Marine line works the best. I`ve set up an appoint with a re from biokleen (BioKleen Biodegradable High Performance Non-Toxic Cleaners) they sell professional lines in bulk and really seem to stand behind their product.

My best advice it to know when a turd is a turd and not everything can be saved when it comes to gelcoats. Sometimes you just have to pass. Hard lessoned learned here.

Post Thanks / Like
    my advice is to get out of it lol.

you will be able to remove swirl marks and you do not want to leave hologramming on the gelcoat. i use optimums line of polished *when* i do boats. higher speeds a must and rotary is a big timesaver.

htec is another great product for defect removal on gelcoat.

as far as "cleaning" you might want to look into mary kate`s line, they make fine black streak removers and mold mildew removers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrorfinishman
    Ben,

Be careful. It appears that the Vicem Motor Yachts have an epoxy coating over wood. I would highly recommend that you seek out professional advice directly from the manufacturer. Since the surface may not be fiberglass gelcoat, I would certainly not jump to using any type of wool pad without a recommendation from the manufacturer. Hey, these boats are expensive. Get the proper advice and then proceed with caution.

Just a few helpful thoughts.
    good advice, i didn`t read it till after i posted. hmm wonder what the best method of polishing epoxy is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VaSuperShine

you will be able to remove swirl marks and you do not want to leave hologramming on the gelcoat. i use optimums line of polished *when* i do boats. higher speeds a must and rotary is a big timesaver.

Have you ever tried to remove swirls from fiberglass? You must be talking about something different. I have polished over 20boats/rv`s and NONE of them had all the swirls removed. I typically use a wool pad on rotary at 1800rpm and EC. For me, they simply wont come off. And have you even been to a marina? Every boat in almost every marina I have been to is covered in holograms. I know a bunch of "autopian" boat detailers and they wont touch trying to remove holograms.
    Showroom Shine Details

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    brandon, i am very familiar with boats. if you can`t remove swirl maks and holograms from gelcoat then maybe you`re just not familiar enough with it to properly do so.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    here`s one example of how to professionally remove swirl marks out of gelcoat. hope you don`t mine me using this thread chris.

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/...boat+detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    here are a few after pics of a sea ray i had the *pleasure* of spending 15 hours polishing in december. let me know when you see any holograms or swirl marks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look bud, I am not trying to be rude.

I am just stating that *I* have NEVER seen any swirl or hologram removal on most hard fiberglass and gelcoat. You seem to be able to do it, but have you ever tried to do what is in the pics above to a 70 or 80 foot Hatteras or Ocean Yachts?
    Showroom Shine Details

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    lol absolutely not, i would take on a huge paying job like that though. one section at a time, im sure there are exceptions where some defects simply arent worth removing or even able to remove. it`s a very tedious grueling job to work on gelcoat and it takes a lot of patience. i`ll polish a house if the moneys right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information