Post Thanks / Like
    Recently i detailed a car for guy who turned out to be the C.O.O of a local phone company, after picking up his vehicle he asked if I would like to take care of the phone company`s fleet (all white ford trucks). This consists of washing them once a week for 15 a truck. He also wants me to do a "simple $150 job" on all of them. Apparently a 150 dollar job to him is wash wax and clean the inside.

I have already completed 5 of the 12 or so vehicles. which were four 2006 F-150`s, and one F-350 Super Duty. I have mostly more F-150`s and a few more Super Duty`s with Toolbox conversions instead of normal truck boxes.

My exact process for $150 is...

-Pressure wash wheel wheels

-Wash

-Poli-seal paint and glass

-clean and dress tires, trim, and wells

-Clean glass

-Mop N Glo/ Armorall floors, mats, and seats (no carpets)

-Clean and dress dash/vinyl

-clean door jambs

After researching some of your pricing for similar services it looks like i might be getting over paid by around 50-60 a truck (I wouldnt say over charging since he suggested the price). Im still having a moral dilemma about whether or not I should have told him that 150 is a bit too much just in case he`s not familiar with what a normal detail should cost on these trucks or if I should just be thankful I landed such an account? Thanks for any opinions, comfort, or criticism!

Show Car Shiner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Be thankful. Your job has been approved by the `boss`. Keep up the good work and make him and his employees happy. You might find yourself with more work. Don`t sell yourself short. You deserve what you make.

Derrick

Post Thanks / Like
    That is not a high price at all, dont feel guilty, it may be even on the low end as these are trucks.

I get 100euros which is about 133 USD for wash and wax and 190euros which is about 230USD for a one step polish on cars.

It all depends in what area you market in, if you look at it as wholesale work or not, and how much you need to make per hour. If your spending 3 hours per truck your making $50 an hour. All in all its not bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s what I would charge in Denver for that. I charge $99 for a wash/vac/dress/wax on a coupe or 4 door sedan. $120 if you add an AIO. Also charge 25% extra on trucks. I would have given the guy a 10-20 off per truck discount, since it`s so much business in one spot. However, he offered u the deal so take it

If he complains in the future you can always work something out.
    May I interest you in my Brazilian wax?

Post Thanks / Like
    autocare brings up a great point about wholesaling work. It`s tempting out of our habitual nature from when we go shopping to wholesale quantities of product X, or service Y. At the end of the day, you can`t feel like you`ve sold yourself short.

I agree with the other guys in saying that you should be thankful, and it`s not a high price.

For myself, I do a detail (wash, clay, compound (if needed), polish, sealant, wax (2 coats), and `freshen` up the interior) for around $175-220 CDN depending on the work required and size of vehicle. People in my market find it hard to pay that much and when I do find people, I value them a lot.

You have to consider the time, resources and effort you put into the trucks. I think if you value that, you will feel that the money you earn is justified (not saying that you don`t value your time, resources and effort). Go the extra way with some trucks if need be to settle your dilemma (if you will :p), and let the owner of the trucks know that you appreciate and enjoyed working on the fleet. That alone can truly make a customer feel like their money is well spent.

Post Thanks / Like
    If he`s happy with the work and hand you a check then your most definatly NOT being over paid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea thats too much by about $50. I`d hate for you to feel bad so sen the extra $50 to me.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re worried about it, just make sure your work is top-notch. There`s always the chance that someone will come along and try to undercut you on price, but show that your work isn`t the bargain basement stuff the competition is likely to offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    $150 doesn`t sound over the top to me. If I was doing work trucks, that is what I would charge.

Greg
    :usa

Post Thanks / Like
    If you really feel that badly, maybe give him a discount when you are done. Take off like 10% and deduct it from his bill. Then tell him it`s for a volume discount for bringing you so much business. Then you still feel like you were paid fairly, and he feels good for getting a discount, a win-win.

Post Thanks / Like
    i wouldn`t offer a discount, especially since he set the price. You see, the customer has seen a value in your work, and the value he places on your work is $150/truck. I would feel complimented that a customer would do that.

Part of this game is selling yourself/services. And in sales, especially of "luxury" items/services (face it, our business is NOT a necessesity of life, no matter how much we love this!) you have to make the customer realize the value of spending money on their car vs. the next best thing they could do with that money. What other opportunities does this guy have to spend his ~$1800? Plenty, but he chose to spend with you!

Just relax, do the work to the best of your ability, and think of what hot new products you try with your new income! And I understand your "moral dilemma." Hopefully you`ve got some new insight on the situation though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very well said Jrock! With this type of attitude, Im sure your new business will go far!

Jim
    2004 Dodge Dakota SXT

Currently Wearing: Scottwax`s Famous Pink Moose, JW AJT, JW AG

Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Oil (What a difference!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kleraudio
    Very well said Jrock! With this type of attitude, Im sure your new business will go far!

Jim

Quoted for truth.

Don`t worry about it dude. You`re doing great, keep it up.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JRock10
    i wouldn`t offer a discount, especially since he set the price. You see, the customer has seen a value in your work, and the value he places on your work is $150/truck. I would feel complimented that a customer would do that.

Part of this game is selling yourself/services. And in sales, especially of "luxury" items/services (face it, our business is NOT a necessesity of life, no matter how much we love this!) you have to make the customer realize the value of spending money on their car vs. the next best thing they could do with that money. What other opportunities does this guy have to spend his ~$1800? Plenty, but he chose to spend with you!

Just relax, do the work to the best of your ability, and think of what hot new products you try with your new income! And I understand your "moral dilemma." Hopefully you`ve got some new insight on the situation though.
    I agreed!!!!!!!!!!
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm
    If you really feel that badly, maybe give him a discount when you are done. Take off like 10% and deduct it from his bill. Then tell him it`s for a volume discount for bringing you so much business. Then you still feel like you were paid fairly, and he feels good for getting a discount, a win-win.

Agree 100% with Grimm. Great way to keep you and your client happy.

Thread Information