Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSDS Sheets

Post Thanks / Like
    Have some questions regarding this area. Do msds sheets apply to the "weekend" detailer doing a detail in an office complex or anywhere else, including a customers residential driveway? When required to carry msds, is it applicable to all products (like washmitts, foam pads, applicators, etc.) or just chemicals?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you should have MSDS`s for all of your chemicals. It is important to have them in a binder. You should have MSDS`s not only while you are detailing but while you are transporting your detailing chemicals. Do you know how to read Material Safety Data Sheets and what they tell you in case of an accident? There is no reason not to have them they are free of charge and you can generally get them from reputable distributors as well as manufacturers.

If I can help further let me know.

Good luck.

Tony Stubblefield

Founder

New England Detail Authority

617.464.4481 ext.2

HOME and MOBILE

National Association for

Professional Detailing and Reconditioning

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NEDATONY
    National Association for

When did this organization establish itself?. . . !?!
    -Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDin93103
    When did this organization establish itself?. . . !?!
    This is it`s 2nd name. It was the Professional Detailer Technicians Association.

MSDS sheets are a good idea to have if you are going to be full time fixed location or mobile in case you are asked for them. If you are just working in your garage as a weekend warrior don`t worry about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Andrew, I can send you some information, just email me at nedaton@yahoo.com or follow the link below.

The NAPDR is a non profit organization. One of our focuses is giving both professional and the public non biased information regarding detailing.

Good luck.

Tony Stubblefield

Founder

617.464.4481 ext.2

HOME and MOBILE

National Association for

Bulletins

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    If you are just working in your garage as a weekend warrior don`t worry about it.
    For the most part, yes. Lately I`ve been doing jobs in residential areas. I did do one in an office complex earlier this week. Just wondering if it would be a good idea for these office areas. Keep in mind, this is not my day job and not being run as a business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did the water go? The city water enforcement won`t buy a story that, "This is just something I do on the side." My friend had a biz like this and was confronted by a city employee- the next day they showed up and said, "If you are here tomorrow we will be here with a $7000 fine." It was not about being licensed, it was about water being discharged illegally.

Andrew: It`s the new PDTA. We all met at the Expo. They are doing educational seminars at the large Expos- WCA, Mobile Tech, etc. Pretty good stuff and motivated group.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    I have MSDS sheets for EVERY product and chemical in my trailer.

Whatever company that refused to give me an MSDS sheet for their product(s), well, I just took the product out of my trailer and threw it in the TRASH. If they have something to hide about the makeup of their product, then I do not want it in my collection....ever...:dance

Post Thanks / Like
    So you just ask the company of the products that you have and they should provide you an MSDS for that item?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WCD
    Where did the water go? The city water enforcement won`t buy a story that, "This is just something I do on the side." My friend had a biz like this and was confronted by a city employee- the next day they showed up and said, "If you are here tomorrow we will be here with a $7000 fine." It was not about being licensed, it was about water being discharged illegally.

This is a non issue for me. If I think the car is too dirty for an ONR, arrangements are made to have it washed at a private location where no eyebrows will raise. The office complex had no water, nor did I want to flood with my own. So it was taken off site for washing and clayed and waxed at the office.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB
    I have MSDS sheets for EVERY product and chemical in my trailer.

Thank You

Post Thanks / Like
    Tex,

Thats a great example. If more mobile guys presented the professionalism you do we could really fight the image issues we have with the public. FYI- manufacturers must provide MSDS`s for the chemical they sell. Most companys put them online so you don`t even have to ask, just log on and print.

Good luck

Tony Stubblefield

Founder

617.464.4481 ext. 2

HOME and MOBILE

National Association for Professional

Detailing and Reconditioning

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks,

And yes, it would be nice to get the image back of a professional detailer. The detailing field is filled with unprofessionals that just want money.

As far as manufacturers providing MSDS sheets, I had 2 that would not send them to me, due to reasons I will not post. I simply threw the products out.....won`t buy again.

About half of the products I have, the MSDS sheets were on the website. Made it too easy to not have them. Some companies, I had to email or call, but were more than willing to help me out.....:xyxthumbs

Quote Originally Posted by NEDATONY
    Tex,

Thats a great example. If more mobile guys presented the professionalism you do we could really fight the image issues we have with the public. FYI- manufacturers must provide MSDS`s for the chemical they sell. Most companys put them online so you don`t even have to ask, just log on and print.

Good luck

Tony Stubblefield

Founder

617.464.4481 ext. 2

HOME and MOBILE

National Association for Professional

Detailing and Reconditioning

Post Thanks / Like
    Tex,

Very nice. This is exactly what and how it should be done. You keep a binder with each product`s MSDS sheet. That`s it. I too would run fast away from any company that could not provide an MSDS sheet-bath tubber!

I have switched to some companies simply because they are VOC Compliant and send you an MSDS sheet with every purchase.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the clarification about how you did the car without using water on the premisis. However, were you paid during the transportation of the vehicle? My first thought was that your hourly rate would be effected by having to move the car. I also figured if you did and charged, then you have nice clients that must value the work. Do you have garage insurance, or something that covers you in case there is an accident. People get weird when money is involved.

Just want to make sure you are covered. Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Just something to add even for the weekend detailer working out of their garage. It`s always a really good idea to have MSDS sheets handy in case your child or animal swallows something or something gets splashed in someone`s eye. It aids doctors/hospitals determine how to fix the potential problem instead of just guessing.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information