Post Thanks / Like
    Thinking about adding a blog on my website. Interesting in hearing everyone`s thought about this and whether or not you think it is a good idea to post a daily online journal centered around the topic of detailing. Please post your thoughts on the subject. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrorfinishman
    Thinking about adding a blog on my website. Interesting in hearing everyone`s thought about this and whether or not you think it is a good idea to post a daily online journal centered around the topic of detailing. Please post your thoughts on the subject. Thanks.

I`d be happy to read it. :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank,

I`ve been thinking of the same thing or even a podcast, but a podcast would be slightly more effort and money , here are some of the things I`ve been considering:

1.Driving traffic to the website - other than forum members

2.Being ready for the increased cost in bandwidth(assuming it`s a big hit)

3.Content- will you be rss feeding in automotive articles or just a straight journal,or will you be providing tips for customers, potentials...etc

4.How will it be maintained(yourself,spouse,employee...)

5.Will you advertise on the blog (to help offset cost)

Just a few questions Ive been throwing around, hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Of course, the primary reason to add a blog would be to drive more traffic to the website. And since it is available free of charge from my web server, why not.

As far as the content, I personally like the idea of making it a place where all entries are made in a journal style on a daily basis. The subject of the entries would be centered around my involvement in owning and operating my detailing business. The blog would not be a place to solicit new business. It would simply be a place where I could share a day in the life of detailing. No big articles, just daily comments and possibly some tips based on what happened on that particular day. The blog would be a basic, straight journal format that I will personally maintain on a daily basis. Since there will not be any additional cost, there will be no need for any advertising on the blog.

It`s interesting. Seems like any time I make a change to my website, it always results in a higher daily visitor count. For example, I recently added some midi music to the home page and within the next few days the daily visitor count jumped noticeably.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got it, I was thinking more in the lines of self promotion. by the way thanks for adding me to the directory, I`ve received several calls from it, it seems it comes up on a google search on the first page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BucketsandBubbl
    Got it, I was thinking more in the lines of self promotion. by the way thanks for adding me to the directory, I`ve received several calls from it, it seems it comes up on a google search on the first page.

Hey, you are welcome. The way search engines work, it is no surprise that a google search yeilds such good results for your site. You see, your site ranking goes up when your site is linked to other sites. That is one of the major reasons why I decided to add a free detailers directory page on my site. Think about it, if everyone added a `find a detailers` page to their website, every one of us would come up on the first page of a google search. For example, I did a google search for `automobile detailing` in webster, ma and guess who came up first under the sponsored links. You got it. Buckets and Bubbles. So it works, that is for sure!

Since there has been very few replies to this thread and since there are almost no detailing site weblogs going on out there, I have decided to go ahead with the blog idea. I am going to start it up on monday april 16th. Stay tuned. Hey, if no one is doing it, then why not be the first.

Something else I found out about adding a blog is that visitors who veiw the blog can sign up for direct daily feeds. That way they get the entry delivered as soon as it is posted. Pretty cool way to reach a lot of people on a daily basis. Now that is leading edge technology and a good reason why I am definitely going to go for it.

Another advantage of having a daily blog on your site is that any word in the blog becomes a word that can come up when someone does a search. So if someone does a search for something that has been posted somewhere in the blog, then that section of the blog will come up in their seach results. Sounds like another good way to drive people to the website.

Special thanks to everyone who responded. I appreciate your interest and comments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a quick update. I added the blog to my website and since I have multiple page counters I can clearly see that about 75% of the daily visitors to my site are stopping by my blog page. Actually, I am having a lot of fun posting my daily thoughts about detailing.

Anyone else considering adding a detailing blog?

Thread Information