Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I am really mad. For the second time, a Cyclo has broke on me. It happened just like the last time; right in the middle of a detail. Luckily, I had my Metabo to finish polishing the car. It seems to be the exact same issue as my old Cyclo, except this one is about a year old compared to 3-4 years for the old one. Basically there is a problem with the cord. It wil turn on, and then depending on how you move it the power dies. If you wiggle the cord it will turn on again, but not for long once it is moved. I am really upset because I do not have time to send it back to Cyclo for a repair. The reason I bought this one is because I needed a replacement fast when the same exact problem happened to the old one. Now I have two Cyclos with cord problems. I really like the Cyclo, however, if it is not reliable what good is it. For some reason I remember others having issues with the cord.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like there is a short in the electrical cord. I don`t have a Cyclo but it should be easy to replace the cord yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, I know it probably is easy, but that is not the point. I would have to wait for the new cord to be shipped to me, and then take the time to repair it. I depend on this machine to work day in and day out. They promote the fact that it is such a durable machine, but I am starting to think it is not so durable.
    Brad Will- Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    You can go to Home Depot or Lowes and get electrial cable with the save gage wire and put a new plug on it. There`s really not much to it. If you don`t know what gage the wire is take the cord off and take it with you. I`m sure someone there can help you. Get the same gage wire or thicker. A thicker wire actually has a smaller gage. I`m sure there are 3 wires in the cable.

Hot - Usually Black

Netural - Usually White

Ground = Usually Green.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. I still feel that this should not happen in the first place.
    Brad Will- Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with you there but if it`s over a year old it`s probably out of warrenty. Even if it was still under warrenty you would have to send it back and probably pay for the shipping. If it`s the cord it should cost you less to fix it then it would to ship it in for service.

Post Thanks / Like
    No it *shouldn`t* happen in the first place! This is so utterly different from my experiences with both of my Cyclos that it leaves me at a loss for words. I`d call Steve at Cyclo Toolmakers and see what they have to say. The guys I got my M3 from had issues with *their* Cyclo too (electrical shocks )...I sure hope there hasn`t been some deterioration in their quality control.

One of the things I`ve most appreciated about my Cyclos is that they *never* miss a beat, even when the older one was used in a commercial setting by [less-than-gentle] employees.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that it shouldn`t happen that soon, but I`ve had the same kind of power cord issue within a year on one of my cyclos and I`ve talked with other cyclo users who had the same power cord issues as well. I thought this was a common issue (unfortunately), but hopefully I`m wrong. Wasn`t there a few people here having power cord issues (i.e. Scottwax, Jimmy Buffit, etc). I just bought a couple more cyclos in anticipation of a very busy summer and hope I don`t have more power cord issues. It`s an easy fix for me, but I shouldn`t have to be doing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just spoke to the cyclo people yesterday at the ICA show in Vegas. Before I left for the show I ordered a cyclo with the edge pad set up.

The cyclo people say not to wrap the cord around the tool. If you doit creates a sharp bend in the cord and will break it.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    http://autopia.org/forum/machine-pol...ighlight=cyclo

Here you go fellas brought to you by Scottwax....(link above)

Joe is right(handling your cyclo) and not wrapping the cord as you do with your pc....not to mention i dont think most have a tool box for this large tool...does anyone have pic or link of there dedicated or not tool box for the cyclo....

also i dont recall if scottwax mentioned but add more length to the cyclo cord....
    another day another dollar

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Superior Fine

The cyclo people say not to wrap the cord around the tool. If you doit creates a sharp bend in the cord and will break it.

I never wrapped my cord and two of them broke. I finally had a shop put a new one on (see link above). Great piece of machinery rendered useless by a cheap cord.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Djmigs
    http://autopia.org/forum/machine-pol...ighlight=cyclo

Here you go fellas brought to you by Scottwax....(link above)

Joe is right(handling your cyclo) and not wrapping the cord as you do with your pc....not to mention i dont think most have a tool box for this large tool...does anyone have pic or link of there dedicated or not tool box for the cyclo....

also i dont recall if scottwax mentioned but add more length to the cyclo cord....

I have the Cyclo and I use a Craftsman Tool box for it. I found this box to be just the right size to fit the cyclo inside. You can also fit the pads in there as well as the brushs, wrench, etc. I have never had any problems with the machine. I have had mine a little over a year.

Here is the link for the toolbox I use for it.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Storage%2C+Chests+%26+Cabinets&pid= 00959326000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Tool+Boxes&BV_Use BVCookie=Yes
    Reflections Mobile Detailing Services

"Refining the Art of Automotive Detailing"

Post Thanks / Like
    I have also never wrapped the cord. Regardless, the cord should be durable enough to handle heavy usage.
    Brad Will- Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Update. I sent an email to Irene at TOL, where I purchased both of my broken Cyclos. I conveyed my frustration about the Cyclo. Irene assured me that the machines are indeed reliable and that this is the first she has heard of a cord issue. She had her warehouse manager (Don) contact me and explain how to change out the cord. Don said he would send me a new cord and new shrink wrap for the handle. I am assuming they are not going to charge me, which is nice of them. Don also said he would relay the info to Cyclo the next time they spoke with them. Now I just have to wait for the new cord and install it. Hopefully that will work. I guess in the future I have to be extremely careful with the cord. I still think it is overly sensitive to damage considering the Cyclo is a professional caliber polisher.
    Brad Will- Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brwill2005
    I have also never wrapped the cord. Regardless, the cord should be durable enough to handle heavy usage.
    Same here. I`ve never wound or wrapped the cords around the machines or kept them in a tight fitting box that put strain on the cords. I keep the cords carefully looped with no sharp bends, especially where it goes into the machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information