Post Thanks / Like
    Well, its reached the time where I`ve gotta REALLY push myself to go all the way with this business venture even though I`m not completly sure to what extent my goals will be met or exceded, I`m gonna bite the bullet and not put this off any longer. I registered my domain name, and I`ve designed what I think my business card is going to look like. I wanted it to be catchy, attractive, professional looking, but simple at the same time and not too crowded.

Here is what i have designed so far, the front will be glossy and the back will not. I also think I`m going to remove the email address from the front, as I doubt anyone would need to email me instead of just calling.

Whats everyone think? I wanted to list a fairly complete run-down of my services on the back, but the business card designer only had preset templates that I guess you would typicly find on a business card, so I had to work with the layout that worked best for what I wanted to do. Is the list fairly complete or should I do it differently? I think what I have to offer is fairly standard among the average Autopian who`s just starting out detailing at this level, so if something is missing from the list but is fairly standard or obvious, feel free to let me know I should put it in, its probably not that I wont be doing it or anything.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions or advice!

(I blocked out the website address and number cause I`m not sure what the forums policy on "advertising" is and dont want the picture to be removed)

:bounce 1981 Chevy Malibu - 1986 Jeep Comanche - 1987 Pontiac Firebird :bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Chris,

First, let me say I`m not a pro detailer. But I do earn a living in a few ways that deal with the public, including as a writer. My suggestions assume that you are giving your card out (or leaving it at various locations) for the general car owner. Perhaps this is over-analyzing it, but here`s what I`d consider:

Lose the "owner/operator". Your name is already in the title, people can figure it out. o/o`s drive big rig trucks.

Make the phone number bigger; 90% of the time they just want your name and number. But keep the email address on the front, I bet it`ll get used too, especially for "Blackberry types".

Move the website address to the back. Now you`ll have a clean face side giving just the info most customers will need.

On the back: I think discounts given to people who have not yet become a customer is the opposite way to do things. It makes people think that you charge 10% too much to begin with. To give a discount to the good customer is another thing- "your sixth visit is on the house" etc. But no need to put any pricing info on a card, that`s what your website is for.

I wouldn`t list the details, most people won`t know or care, and it takes up space. Instead, I`d use something they CAN identify with such as "Complete cleaning, conditioning, and protecting of your automobile, inside and out." "I will make your car look like new." I`d leave off the "again" as unnecessary and knowing that some of these cars weren`t purchased as new in the first place.

I`d leave out the "Call for more info..." because people will already know that.

I would put on the back side something like "Visit my (or our) website for a complete list of professional services offered...

...to the discriminating auto enthusiast, or

...at competitive rates, or

...at your convenience and location

or anything else you feel would appeal to the type of customer you`re looking for. And then put the www.xxDetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, thanks for the advice, it does make sense!

its OCD: O`Shea`s Complete Detailing (my friends all say I`m OCD when it comes to my cars, so I had to somehow use that in my name, haha)

How does this look?

Post Thanks / Like
    umm..... yeah, so I`m definatly not trying to advertise on this website, when I type in just my website URL though it comes up with that..... uhhh....

its OC-Detailing.com (You know where the "www." goes obviously)

Weird....

Post Thanks / Like
    Lose focus on the business cards and focus on selling yourself.

Yes, its nice to have everything a customer touches be of the best quality and such, but it does not get business.

I dont remember ever saying, "wow, thats a nice business card, let me call him".

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that information is great! I would suggest finding a graphic artist, or even the clerk at a local print shop, to re-arrange or compose a bit differently perhaps...

I disagree on the importance of a card, ESPECIALLY for a detailer whom, as a customer, you hope has an eye for DETAIL. A good card costs little or no more than a crap card, and it`s often the first contact a prospective customer will have with your business, especially when you`re not the one handing it out.

Now yes, of course you have to sell yourself, but that`s a whole nother question along with the countless others that come with the joy of self-employment.

Thread Information