Thread: Rust Staining

Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning everyone

Perhaps not the right section to post but wanted the input off fellow pro detailers out there

I have some light rust staining to deal with I remember seeing a product on a US sight cant remember which one but if I remember corectly it kind of neutralised the rust at source has any one heard of such a product your help would be appreciated .

Im not looking to just polish the staining away I know that can be done this is for an area under a tailgate rubber where water has got trapped .

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    Rust is like cancer. On vehicles, you have to remove it & the area partially around it. If you don`t, it will keep growing until it can be repaired. Sounds like a manufacturer engineering defect. Check with the dealership to see if it`s under warranty.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell me about it its a mercedes van 5 months out of warranty im preparing to go to war with them 14000 miles allways kept detailed to the max as its my work vehicle im looking for plan B as some are just stains at present where water collects on the sliding doors.

Im aware its metal cancer

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, if you got rust stains on your paint forming, your actual car body is rusting somewhere unless you have a some nails or something that the rust stain is running off of. As far as I know you need to rub something in there whether it is a compound, cleaner, or solvent. If you wanted to use a product that got rid of the rust by just spraying it that product would most likely also damage your paint.
    Learning How To Detail the Eco-Friendly Way

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, this calls for actual paint/body work.

I had initially thought you were asking about "rust blooms" from ferrous contamination. For that problem you could use a decontamination system like "ABC" from AutoInt.

But this is simply a case of a vehicle rusting out from too much moisture and not enough protection (i.e. paint). Frustrating, I know; I just had rust repair done on my otherwise immaculate minivan: some area where water sits must not`ve been properly painted/etc. at the factory..turns out to be a common problem on my vehicle.

Get it fixed right (proper disassembly, treatment, paint) and spray some kind of rust preventative on to keep it from happening again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got hrough drafting a letter to mercedes letting them know I feel this is of unmerchantable quality and a design fault 6 coats of wax allways kept in a detailed state 6 months out of warranty as you guys say Go Figure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by absolute detail
    I just got hrough drafting a letter to mercedes letting them know I feel this is of unmerchantable quality and a design fault 6 coats of wax allways kept in a detailed state 6 months out of warranty as you guys say Go Figure.

Good Luck!! My friend who owns a detail shop has a white 2003 S-Class and both 1/4`s, trunk and 1 fender are rusting and Mercedes won`t do anything fo him??
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad about how things have slipped at Mercedes Benz...they used to be as good as you could get

The problem with rust issues is often that they can blow you off until you have actual perforation...but who wants to wait until there are *holes* in the vehicle?!? That`s what I hear Mazda is doing with the MPVs, glad I just went ahead and got mine fixed while it wasn`t a bid deal.

Thread Information