Thread: AI Training

Post Thanks / Like
    Just completed day 1 with Ron K. from Auto Int. Wow, what a science filled day with paint technology knowledge!!! It was very educational and a great foundation for getting into paint correction. Tomorrow we get into the shop with the tools and products.

How many know that the UV blockers are mostly in the top 1/2 mil of the paint? I did not know that. Thus, if you remove .5 of ONE mil, you can take out the UV blockers and begin a process of the clear being severely damaged.

Great discussion on the science and chemistry of paints and environment. I am excited about day two tomorrow and trying the ABC method.

Anyone else an AI Alum?

Rob Regan

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not an alumni but respect Ron`s knowlege. Say hi to "Grumpy"

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I am, Rob.

Pretty good investment of your time, right?

I continue to be amazed by their Odor Terminator product, even 4 years after I took the course. Ask Ron what happens when you gargle with OT... :getdown

Give us a full report!

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been a back burner priority of mine to head to one of their classes...
    my trailer part 1

my trailer part 2

3 Layers Of GlossAuto Detail

~Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    Rob, did hear about Mike Phillips upcoming visit to Indy?
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Jimmy,

Yes, and I am all paid for that, too!!!

Day 2 was another good day of learning. We met in the morning and went right to work on the washing process using the ABC method. Wow!! When we were done with product C, my first thought was, "Hey, no need to clay." The surface was prepped and completely clean. I don`t mean the clean you get from a washing solution, I mean clean as in there were not more deposits, spotting, or other fallout on the surface and it was squeaky clean. We did the engine as well. The one thing I like about the products is that they are ALL VOC compliant. Some companies in CA. are not as I used to sell for some who have had to change the marketing. However, I heard that even labeling is not going to save the manufacturer.

We were able to check out wet sanding with 1000 and 2000 grit paper and use lambswool, wool, blends, and different foams with different products.

It was recommended that RPMs stay between 1000-1400 on most products, but never to go above 1750.

What I learned for myself is that I have historically not allowed products to dwell long enough. I need to be more patient and like golf when you "let the club do the work", in detailing, "let the product do the work". You don`t have to rush, you don`t have to put weight on the machine, you don`t have to speed the RPM`s, etc.

The manual you get is a great resource as well- the checklists and procedures will make any detailer more proficient.

The ETR Kit is insane! What a money maker. You use three DROPS of product and turn gray side view mirrors into new condition. I called my neighbor who has old and faded bumpers on his Audi and told him to get over here after work.

Anyway, the science behind the training was a real value to me- not expensive in terms of what you get. Even though I have done many cars in the past, I really can appreciate what Ron and other pros mean when they say that training in this profession is important if you want to be a real professional. Heck, I used to state that on my biz cards when I detailed, but now realize I did not have a lot of the education. I did read every manual and book, but going to something like AI`s training, you learn the science and technology behind paint systems. You learn to measure the depth of the paint- clear, etc.

I should note that the other three guys were from MI and FL. The two from MI put out around 200 cars per month and were blown away by some of the information and product use.

I plan to add to my education this month with Mike Philips and then next fall with Renny D. in Boise.

Any questions about the two day workshop, just ask.

Rob Regan

Post Thanks / Like
    Could you provide a little more information? Its probably too far for me, but I`m sure other`s could use the information. I have no idea who or what organization you are speaking about and doing a Google search for Auto Int. and/or Ron K. gave me absolutely nothing.

Thanks.

Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    You should find something under Auto International or Valugard. They do a LOT of chemicals for a lot of companies, some you probably use. They are mostly connected with the US auto manufacturers, I believe.

The first day is all about chemistry and the background of the history of paints and modern paint technology with special attention to causes of paint imperfections. I learned a lot of what you should NOT do. I never used gauges to inspect for how much clear was on the car..yes, an auto manufacturer might put x amount of clear, but how many times has the car been buffed, polished, and how has it been done? Without this knowledge I might be taking off just enough clear to really cause a problem. I was also imazed at how much heat the FOAM pads generated. We tested lambswool vs. foam and the foam was much hotter- about 160 deg. after only a few passes. The rpms were never above 1400. I have seen shops that run rotaries so much faster than that.

The other thing I picked up was an ETR kit. I have done cars in the past where dressing does not make the black bumpers any better..they are shot. This kit will give a 3 yr. life to them- at least 3 yrs. I am doing my neighbor`s car this weekend and will take pics.

For more, I suggest you visit the site, or call and talk with Ron. He`s been in the business longer than I am alive.

Hope that helps, Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Automotive International - Valugard Product Line

Look for the Prep Excellence Link on the Left...

Highly recommended.

Jim

Jimmy Buff-It`s Auto Detailing
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Thread Information