Post Thanks / Like
    Just picked this up tonight from Home Depot. Anyone have any experience with this unit? I know Ridgid makes some good vacuums and I hope their compressors are as good as well. I really like the fact that it has a Honda engine and is gas operated. That way I won`t have to run my generator and compressor at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoooaaa!

Can you hook a water pump to the rear of that engine, bypass the air and use it to act as a pressure washer as well? That would be trick!

Roughly how much did that set you back?
    -Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDin93103
    Whoooaaa!

Can you hook a water pump to the rear of that engine, bypass the air and use it to act as a pressure washer as well? That would be trick!

Roughly how much did that set you back?

Price was $749 plus tax. I also got the 4 year extended service plan for $170.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a good unit and I see it on contruction sites a lot. What will you be using it for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously, did you hit the lottery or something!!!

You got yourself a good unit there.
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    congrats!, that should last you a very long time...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    That is a good unit and I see it on contruction sites a lot. What will you be using it for?

I know you all are probably going to say its overkill, but what I will be using it for is to blow water out of crevices and around trim after doing washes. Drying engine compartmentsz after an engine clean. I`ll also be using it to purge the interiors. I`m sure I`ll find some other uses for it as well.

I used to work at a carwash where the air pressure was weak more often than not, and I found it very frustrating trying to perform a detail with insufficient pressure. I just wanted to make sure that I picked up a high powered quality unit from the get go and not have to worry about wanting or needing something with more power down the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbarnes
    Seriously, did you hit the lottery or something!!!

You got yourself a good unit there.

I wish that were the case. And if I did win the lottery, I would probably still detail cars strictly for the enjoyment of it. I would still charge my customers though.

Actually, all the detailing equipment that I am purchasing is done on credit, which means I`ll be working to pay off debts for a while. But to me its worth it knowing I have quality equipment that will last many years and perform as expected or better.

Post Thanks / Like
    May be preachin` to the choir. . .

The air pressure may have been low due to the ever-present liability of damaging the vehicle in some way. You really have to watch it on older vehicles where sun damage has made certain materials fragile or classics that have trim pieces that aren`t too easy to replace.
    -Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDin93103
    May be preachin` to the choir. . .

The air pressure may have been low due to the ever-present liability of damaging the vehicle in some way. You really have to watch it on older vehicles where sun damage has made certain materials fragile or classics that have trim pieces that aren`t too easy to replace.

No, I know for a fact that when the pressure was low it wasn`t done on purpose. Sometimes it would work great. Sometimes it was so-so. And, at other times it was just plain useless.

Thanks for the tip about using air on older cars. I`ll definitely take that into consideration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by clnfrk
    I know you all are probably going to say its overkill, but what I will be using it for is to blow water out of crevices and around trim after doing washes. Drying engine compartmentsz after an engine clean. I`ll also be using it to purge the interiors. I`m sure I`ll find some other uses for it as well.

I used to work at a carwash where the air pressure was weak more often than not, and I found it very frustrating trying to perform a detail with insufficient pressure. I just wanted to make sure that I picked up a high powered quality unit from the get go and not have to worry about wanting or needing something with more power down the road.

Have you tried taking your wet/dry vac and switch it to blow (with a filter if you just used it to vac)? My lil ridgid vac does a great job with that. Though That is a cherry compressor = P you`ll have a ton of fun with it.
    Louis Tovar - Smooth Reflections

Mobile Detailing and Paint Rejuvenation

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. Is it a one, two or three stage? Is it self lubing or do you have to oil it? I`m trying to find a good price on a 80gal three stage, self oiling for my new shop. Seeing the prices(2k+) makes my checkbook cry.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s a real honey you got there. If I were you, I`d pick up a good floor jack and stands and use it to run an impact wrench - you could offer wheel removal, polishing (incl barrels) and sealing plus well undercoating as an upcharge.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!! You could run all kinds of sweet air tools with that bad boy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NotaHack
    Nice. Is it a one, two or three stage? Is it self lubing or do you have to oil it? I`m trying to find a good price on a 80gal three stage, self oiling for my new shop. Seeing the prices(2k+) makes my checkbook cry.

I have no idea what stage it is, or what that even means for that matter... sorry. The pump is oil lubricated. It doesn`t come with any oil in it. The instructions state to add 12 ounces of a certain type of compressor oil or Mobil 1 synthetic. I chose to use the Mobil 1.

Quote Originally Posted by themightytimmah
    That`s a real honey you got there. If I were you, I`d pick up a good floor jack and stands and use it to run an impact wrench - you could offer wheel removal, polishing (incl barrels) and sealing plus well undercoating as an upcharge.

What exactly do you mean by polishing barrels and sealing?

Thread Information