Thread: Dilemma

Post Thanks / Like
    So, we had a family part for SB XLI, I got into conversation for a few with a close family friend. He was all about helping me get business and asked me to e-mail him with my pricing and information; I was asking $70 for a wash, wax (2 coats), and dressings, $30 for a wash and dressings, $225+ for a full detail, depending upon the estimate I give on year/condition of the car.

So, today I get a phone call from the guy saying "how can I push you to others when they can find a detailer who does a full detail for 90-135?"; I asked him "did they use a buffer?", and clearly it was a `no`.

So, I tried to explain to him how much better I can do than these local shops he`s talking about, yet he`s still saying I need to lower my prices.

At this time, I could really use the business, I`m not making any money right now, and I need a customer base. What should I do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do a "no buffer" jobs for $135 if you need money and that is what they want. You can upsell later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Offer a maintenance type (light, basic, etc.) full detail for that price, but don`t lower your prices on your complete full detail! :up

A maintenance full detail, if you didn`t already know, is basically an outside wash and one step wax, and a thorough interior clean up with LIGHT carpet shampoo. Let customer`s know that if they have severe swirls, scratches, blemishes, interior stains, dog hair, etc., etc., that a maintenace full detail will not correct those issues, they would need to purchase your complete full detail. Or, if the customer has one or two specific problems (a severe stain, scratch, etc.), you could upsell them to fix those particular problems along with a maintenance detail. One more thing before I forget, a maintenace full detail should only be marketed to those whose vehicles are in very good condition and they just need a good cleanup along with some exterior protection. If you don`t point that out, someone with a 1999 minivan that never had it clean will be calling you for that service.
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    It is always better to focus on the quality of your work, not the price. Never tell anyone your price until it is absolutely necessary to close the deal. The price should always be the last thing you discuss with a potential customer.

Think about it. When it comes to pricing, one man`s ceiling is another man`s floor. What may look like a high price to some people may actually be a bargain to someone else. The key is always going after the market that will support your price.

Sure, if you lower your prices, more people will find your service more affordable, but then you are basically just reacting to the maketplace. Set your prices according to how much you actually need to make and then go out there and do what you need to do to find those people who are willing and able to pay your prices.

Always focus on the quality of your work, not the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice thing about people wanting $130 details, they do not expect swirl-free paint. All they want is a clean car that looks good... So clean it real well, wheelwells, doorjambs, interior, and apply a coat of wax.

Shouldn`t take more than 2 hours, and you`ve made $65/h

Remember, a "full detail" is totally subjective to what the customer wants. Not what you want. Every customer has his or her priorities, some is the interior shampoo`d, some is crystal clear glass, and others want a brilliant shine.

The last ones are easy to upsell a polishing package. Offer than for $70 more, and tell them that it will most likely look as good or better than the day it was on the dealership`s lot.

Then you`ve upsold them to your $200 full package, and still should only work for 4ish hours on the car

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the previous - personally I find that $100-130 "no buffer" details are more profitable on a per hour basis than $200+ full details - as a $200 3 polishing step detail is going to take me 8 hours, whereas I can do a good interior clean, wash and quick coat of Meg`s #66 in under 4.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the others. If you can also add a quick detail service, that can help you build your customer base and gives you the opportunity to upsell additional polishing or take care of extra dirty interiors. If they don`t go for the extras, you still are going to make decent money in a relatively short amount of time. You just have to be sure the customer understands what is and what is not included in a quick detail.

I agree that the hackers and cheapie detailers are hurting us all. They charge a low price for a crappy detail so when we come along with a higher price, the customer doesn`t understand that our prices are for superior quality work. They just hear what we charge and fail to understand how it is worth it compared to the quality (or more likely, lack of quality) they have received from other detailers. However, once you have established yourself and have a good base of satisfied customers who brag to their friends about the work you do, you will find yourself catering to a whole new market that will support higher prices.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    After reading this I`ve started to adjust my prices slightly, while also adding some `in-between` prices. :clap:

Hopefully this is more what he can see as `in-whack`. :hifive:

Thanks for the advice guys.

Thread Information