Post Thanks / Like
    In recent magazine (Professional car washing) there was an article that mentioned vacuuming. Basically to get maximum airflow they put a few gallons of water in the shop vac and took the filter off. Used the water for filtration. Anyone do this? I take my filter off when I am extracting water but have never tried to dry vacuum with water in the tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    It works quite well - just empty out the water daily, and make sure not to run it without water or filter.... I learned both of those the hard way.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    If you buy a RIGID, even if you suck up water or dirt into the motor, they will replace it with brand new vacuum. Every time one went down, I sent it back for a new one - no questions asked. If any bit of water or moisture gets into the motor, it`s bound to break down and lock up shortly down the road. It`s just a matter of time when you`re sucking up water.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried this once when I had my shop. It seemed to work but I think the really fine particles that don`t hit the water are blown back out the exhaust. I noticed a lot more dust in the shop so I put the filter back in. Imho, clean filter works best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless the vacuum hose connects to the vac below the water level only larger particulates will sink into the water.

If the hose inlet is above the water level the air will slow down as it enters the tank, large particles will fall out and the finer dust that can stay suspended in the slower air stream will hit the filter, if it’s there.

Without a filter the dust will just suck through the blower and fly out of the vac. That’s a bad thing in a shop because it will just land on everything and you get to breath it. Out in the open it should be ok if the vac is far enough away from things or is at least downwind.

They do make external water filters for vacs with the inlet hose coming in below water level and the outlet exiting above. You see drywall guys using them a lot for sanding joint compound.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I am going to try this with my Ridgid. How much water do you put in?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t recall specifics but thought it was 5 gallons in a 16. I have the 4 gallon one so going to try it with about 2 gallons.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve tried that but I still noticed some dust escaping the exhaust vent. There was more suction though.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I read this article and thought it was bad advice. Besides, it seems like the vacuum would be much heavier if the tank had water in it.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaRO
    In recent magazine (Professional car washing) there was an article that mentioned vacuuming. Basically to get maximum airflow they put a few gallons of water in the shop vac and took the filter off. Used the water for filtration.

Below is what actually appeared in the article.

----------------------------------------------------

Equipment

* High power shop vacuum: I utilize a 6.5-HP shop vacuum, though all the horsepower in the world won’t do anything if the vacuum has a dirty filter. To make sure my filter is effective, I remove the shop vacuum’s filter and fill the 14-gallon tank with roughly five gallons of water to act as the filter. By using water to filter the vacuum, pet hair is trapped in the water and not suffocating the paper filter. Just don’t let the mud get too thick before changing the water.

Carpet care & equipment

Utilizing the right tools and techniques will keep carpets looking their best.

By Thomas Korkoske

From the February 2007 edition of Professional Carwashing & Detailing magazine.

Article Archives

Thomas Korkoske has worked in the automotive industry most of adult life. In 2005, he started Shine On Custom Mobile Automotive Detailing LLC in Lake Wylie South Carolina. Contact Tom at: korkoske@bellsouth.net.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suppose it helps to have that piece in your vacuum that point down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Who the heck needs more suction than what comes naturally(unmodified) from a 5 or 6 HP RIGID vac? Any more than that, your sucking the carpet off the floorboards. Is more better? Or is it a macho guy thing? I think one of the most important things to have is a good nozzle that`s in good shape(not worn or rounded).
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have both a dedicated wet and dry vac. Both Shop Vacs.

The dry has a foam filter and 10-13 gal. paper filter. It doesn`t get used more than 5 min. a week anymore.

The wet, with just the foam filter. Gets used for everything, extracting, vacuum etc.

The key is a wet foam filter. Water in tank would help to empty debris and keep filter wet.

I use a deodorent to keep the smell down, dog hair etc.

Personally i think the wet method is superior in a couple ways. It can be used as an extractor and vac in one go.

The vac seems to last longer, i always seemed to get a little hole in the dry paper filter and was blowing dust around and the vac would expired sooner, than my wet vac.

Thread Information