Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stay tuned...

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a call this morning from a local Ford dealership. A heart doctor just purchased a black Ford GT with silver stripes. He didn`t want the stripes, so the dealership removed them, but there is still some adhesive residue. They decided to refer me to the job.

If I do a good job on this one, I might also get a chance to do his new M5 and his Ferarri F430

Does anyone have a better recommendation than 3M Wax and Adhesive Remover to tackle the residue?

Post Thanks / Like
    I was told the stripes are painted on by my Ford GT customer...and a $5000 option!

Maybe it isn`t adhesive but ghosting? :nixweiss

I`ve found Optimum Poli-Seal very effectively removes adhesive, like that left behind by bumper stickers and those obnoxiously huge Texas registration stickers.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I could have sworn they were painted on too! Come to think of it, I don`t ever recall seeing a GT without the stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    It says on this website and multiple other sites that the stripes are painted on as an option like Scott said for $5,000 however I guess the side stripes are vinyl. Maybe these were the stripes he had removed. Otherwise I have no clue? Very interesting...

Ford GT: About Ford GT - Features and Options

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm...time to call the dealership.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m with Josh on this one. Side stripes. M2C
    -Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Zane if they`re not painted on then after they remove them try some Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover first. Probably the only turtle wax product I use.

It worked beautifully on my black vette on some tree sap that was there for over three months and it came right off without a blink.:up

Post Thanks / Like
    3m adhesive removal wheels are fanstastic for this. Makes it light work. I removed the striping off my van in about an hour, and there was a LOT of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaneO
    I got a call this morning from a local Ford dealership. A heart doctor just purchased a black Ford GT with silver stripes. He didn`t want the stripes, so the dealership removed them, but there is still some adhesive residue. They decided to refer me to the job.

If I do a good job on this one, I might also get a chance to do his new M5 and his Ferarri F430

Does anyone have a better recommendation than 3M Wax and Adhesive Remover to tackle the residue?

3m adhesive remover is a solid performer, despite the smell.

Greg
    :usa

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    3m adhesive removal wheels are fanstastic for this. Makes it light work. I removed the striping off my van in about an hour, and there was a LOT of it.

You`re crazy to suggest using a decal removal wheel for this application? :soscared: The car is BLACK and BRAND NEW and the stripes are already off the car. Use some new car solvent with a micro fiber and foam pad it afterwards and have to fear. The shop already did the semi-hard part of removing the decals, removing the glue is the easy part.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    scott do you think poli seal would tackle left over adhesive from those thick vinyl lettering decal shops use? maybe i couldve saved myself some time, i still have to go over an entire side so maybe i should give it a try?

Post Thanks / Like
    The top stripes are factory painted. Only like 28 or 29 GT`s were manufactured with no stripes. One of my doctor clients has one of them.

The ingredient, I believe, within 3M adhesive remover is Xzylene and you can get some cheaper at Home Depot. Be careful though as it is an VOC product, said to be a cancer causing product.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VaSuperShine
    scott do you think poli seal would tackle left over adhesive from those thick vinyl lettering decal shops use? maybe i couldve saved myself some time, i still have to go over an entire side so maybe i should give it a try?

:nixweiss The only way to know for sure is to try. I will say it removed sticker adhesive faster than anything else I have used on glass.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaneO

Sandpaper!! I own a Ford GT and was at the factory when they were in production. The top center stripes are painted. The side lower stripes are adhesive decals applied after the surface is slightly heated for better adhesion.

The owner will need a body shop to repaint the car if he is that determined to eliminate the stripes.

Hope this information is helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Crap! The doctor decided to take it to a body shop to have it detailed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information