Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys - im new here and have been reading up alot on starting a small detailing business. This is somthing Ive been mulling over in my head for some time now. I want to be able to do 3-4 cars a month at least...something to pay the bills.

Im not entirely new to detailing - Ive got a Griots garage orbital including their polishes, wax, clay, and QD - and Ive detailed my family`s and my car and have had one other word-of-mouth "client". My problem is that I dont like how mild the machine and all the polishes are, or how hard they are to remove. I feel as if ive hit a dead end with this lineup, and that I made a poor choice (I didnt research any other machines!). Im looking to get a PC7424 and a slew of other polishes, waxes etc.

My questions to you guys are:

A) is it a good idea to buy a whole new lineup of products?

which line of products would you suggest? (I was looking alot into meguiars for the compatibility/price)

C) any suggestions for advertising (ill be getting business cards, flyers, prob. an ad in the local paper)

thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should probably try out several lines and find the products that work best for you. I doubt you will fine one line where you use all of their products. Some work better than others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed.

I like Menzerna, Optimum, and some Meguiars.. But I will soon be trying out some AutoGlym products this year!

Post Thanks / Like
    cool - i think im gonna go with a pc and some poorboys products to start. if those are nice, ill try some optimum and megs

Post Thanks / Like
    get by lowe`s for your PC...they`ve had 7336SPs for as low as $47.60. There was a whole thread about it, and some receipts printed up. that should get you going in that department

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been impressed with every Poorboy`s product I`ve tried, but, and not meaning to bash the polishes but I think there are better alternatives in the same price range. I tried a sample of Optimum Polish that Juztang sent me (thanks again) and plan on buying a bottle in the spring when weather warms up, it had no dusting and a very long work time.

I especially like the Wheel Sealant, despite my initial hesitation to buy it, it actually does cut down on brake dust buildup a bit and it smells so good and its so easy to buff off its not a chore to do the wheels every few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    My opinion:

Danase is right on with his advice, but if you want to get started quick, I`d recommend the Optimum product line. All their stuff works well and relatively inexpensive. I`m not as enamoured with the PoorBoys stuff as some of the others are. It`s OK stuff, but not worth the $$ they charge and not as good as the Optimum products.

You don`t say whether you are mobile or store-front and what competition you have. It would help to know this in order to give better advice on launching your biz.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the input on the optimum line - ill have to look deeper into their stuff.

i will be working out of my dad`s garage(im only 18). what should my process be of getting a car in and out of the garage/transportation for the person whos dropping it off? its going to be tough to do this seeing that im working from a residence and not an actual store.

and also - i really dont want this business to be "that kid who washes cars". any ideas on how to make it professional - or should i just let my work speak for itself?

Post Thanks / Like
    just bought a PC7424 for 105 shipped. should be here by the end of the week

im also trying to decide what kind of pads to get! i first saw the new LC pads and i thoguht they looked pretty quality. for me itll probably either be the LCs or sonus das. any comments on these brands?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you live close to anything?

I find that driving them to the mall, movie theatre, library, or just asking them where they would like to go is as much as you can or should do for them when they drop their car off.

I haven`t found many people that like the idea of picking up and dropping off their car. Most want to see it as soon as it is done.

90% of the time if you ask them they will have a friend or family member that can pick them up when they drop the car off, and then bring them back when you are done.

As for advertising, I`m a firm believer that a well designed business card, and a confident and outgoing presentation will go further than any amount of money spent on anything else. Going out and meeting with potential customers face-to-face will give them a better relationship with you, and they will be 500x more likely to call you when they need something done. In fact, most of the time it is friends of the person you talked to that will need something done, and then they become the referrer, and you have his friends, and so on and so forth.

As long as you do a great job, don`t miss anything, and have reasonable prices for your services, you will get repeat business.

And make sure you have a carpet shampooer, and pressure washer (clean out wheelwells, under the doorsills, and make sure you clean the doorjambs really well!!)

And good luck from Canada :ca

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the good advice!

will the brush attachment for the PC suffice as a carpet shampoo?? if so i will get the carpet and leather brushes.

i agree with the power washer, and need to get one. any ideas on a steam cleaner for carpet spots/ engine?? this seems almost like a luxury item, but i dont know. where would i get one?

Post Thanks / Like
    - double post -

Post Thanks / Like
    Pressure washer is not needed.

Shampoo/ carpet cleaner is a big bonus But a quality one will cost you $2k, cheap ones that are reccommended are 650 or so.
    Rob.

Post Thanks / Like
    From a customer`s standpoint, no, nothing short of an actual shampoo machine will suffice.

I use a Bissel Little Green Machine (LGM) with the heated water. It cost me $115 including tax at Walmart, almost 2 years ago. It works, far better than nothing, but not as good as any others. It will pull many litres of black or brown water from even the cleanest carpets, leaving them looking great.

Problem is you need to empty the tank 2-3 times during the detail, as well as fill the reservoir 3-4 times. This tacks another 15-20 minutes onto doing interior, and your not even working on their car!

The LGM will work until you can afford something better, but it is 100% necessary if you`re charging anywhere near the going rate.

I`m finding that the LGM doesn`t take enough out of soiled carpets, and I`m going over the same spot 4-5 times, and still not getting the results I want. It looks like I`ll be spending nearly $1000 on a good extractor, but hopefully it will cut my interior times from up to 2 hours, down to 40 minutes!

I`m looking into a Mytee Lite, or similar product.

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote name=`_Toast_`]i will be working out of my dad`s garage(im only 18). what should my process be of getting a car in and out of the garage/transportation for the person whos dropping it off? its going to be tough to do this seeing that im working from a residence and not an actual store.

Why only from your garage? I`d start mobile (customer supplies water spigot and electric) . Try to drum up your initial business from your neighbors. EXUDE CONFIDENCE! I`m mobile only and do a lot of cars in the development in which I live, so I do them right in their own driveways. Try to get some expertise working on vehicles of family members and close friends. Then use them as references. Also, don`t be afraid to go around your area and ask for business. A lot of people are too busy to really take care of their cars and welcome a mobile detailer (ex: moms at home doing cleaning, laundry who don`t have time to drive into town and drop off their car). You might even pick up a few weekly/bi-weekly washes. You`ll be surprised how many mini-vans you`ll do (kids make a mess and mom/dad don`t have the time to clean it up.

Maybe consider doing some bartering. I regularily do a hardware store`s pick-up at their high-profile location for in-kind store credit. I pick up new jobs from their customers and other businesses in the area who see me doing the hardware store`s p/u.

Act professional, get some business cards, get some t-shirts made with your company`s name on it (it`s cheaper than you think), and most importantly DO EXCELLENT WORK.

I live on a barrier island and it is mostly gated communities. If I am going to do a car in a new development, I usually pick up 2 new jobs from neighbors who see me detailing their neighbor`s car. I don`t expect to ever go with a fixed location.

Thread Information