Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, thinking of doing a little bit of detailing on the side for some cash. I`m worried about what happens though in case I damage a car?

I know i know... I`m less likely to damage a car then the car wash but what if I do? What is my liability? How much would a scratch (not a mar) actually cost to deal with?

Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like
    That is what insurance is for. Your customers will expect your agent`s name should something happen.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Insurance is a must for any business. With detailing, it is most important if you will be moving the customer`s car at all.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    I never drive a client`s car. I let them park it, I just guide them. Which is why I like Mobile detailing.

The only damage that can happen is an act of god which most policey don`t cover and little things that I would be able to cover. Ins... Yeah it would be good to have, but when I have a steadier / more clients.
    Rob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danforz
    Hey guys, thinking of doing a little bit of detailing on the side for some cash. I`m worried about what happens though in case I damage a car?

I know i know... I`m less likely to damage a car then the car wash but what if I do? What is my liability? How much would a scratch (not a mar) actually cost to deal with?

If your just doing it on the side you won`t need insurance. If you`re driving vehicles, you should definately look into insurance. If something minor like a scratch happens, you won`t want to get your insurance company involved. Your smartest bet would be to pay for the damage yourself and not have you insurance company even know about it. Plus, a scratch on a car will end up being much less than your deductible anyways. The only time I ever called in a claim was when a dealership vehicle got stolen, not when there was a minor fender bender. Any commercial claims go to the underwriting department and they re-evaluate your premiums. Sometimes, it`s not worth making a claim. :bolt
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I messed up a bumper and mirror cover when I was first starting out... Cost me just under $300 to get them repainted.

No other incidents yet

Can`t see how anything else could happen... Unless a shelf breaks and something falls on the car...

Thread Information