Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    How many of you do this as your main or only source of income? Do you find it hard to find customers who are willing to pay for the type of detailing discussed here (full clay, multi-step polish, sealant/wax, full interior, etc.)? Or, do most of your customers just want a basic wash or something in between? I`m just trying to get an idea of what to expect when I first start out doing this professionally.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do it by the hour, and almost always do a full detail. I mean most cars need it anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been doing this since 1989 and 2006 was my toughest year yet. Mobile guys are aaaaallllll over the place!!

If 2007 is the same as last year I am going to close up shop and move on.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    do it little by little now so when you "start" fulltime you can have a client base. If you do that then word of mouth should kick in and like they say if you do a good job word will spread, if you do a bad job word will spread a lot quicker. You wont always find people wanting to pay for a full detail cause there are a lot of people that are either cheap, think you are trying to sell something they dont need, dont care etc. I have a client now whose always looking for a discount on just a wash (people being cheap) and I`m getting tired of it to the point where I`m about to tell him to go to the local car wash. One person I spoke with about a full detail (with clay) thought I was just another sales man (people thinking I`m trying to sell them something they dont need) and its irratating cause I`m not trying to screw them, I`m trying to help them but they wont understand. Others will be fine with a wash once or twice a month (people that dont care). Just start out now slowly and like a said, build your client list. good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    I started my mobile detailing business on a part-time basis back in 1986. Within a few years I was able to grow the business into full-time and since 1990 it has been my main source of income.

Unlike many of the other detailers that have come and gone, I only offer complete detailings and all of the work is done only by hand. I do not offer any car washing services. Also, since just about 100% of my clientele are repeat customers, there is very little need, from the customers point of view, for major paint correction, such as what is often discussed here. Let`s face it, there are plenty of people out there who have a need to have there car freshly detailed. It is basically up to you to fill that need.

It is not about finding customers who are willing to pay for the type of detailing discussed here (full clay, multi-step polish, sealant/wax, full interior, etc). All you basically need to do is go out there and find a need and fill it. It all comes down to the way you market your business and the people you expect to attract. Your customers are out there, you just need to figure out how you are going to find them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we sometimes forget that we, as mobile detailers, are selling convenience more than detailing services. Most people choose mobile detailers because it is convenient for them, and it saves them time. Many of these people simply want a clean and shiny car at a fair price. Most are not looking, nor are they willing to pay for perfection. Thomas and Frank have done an excellent job of finding niche markets who are willing to pay more, and desire superior results. I think the best option is to offer a quality service that is convenient and affordable to the masses. Many of the enthusiasts buy their own products and maintain the cars themselves. To answer your question, this is my only source of income and I find that many of my customers choose wash and vacuum and mini-detail type services.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    i get a ton of price shoppers...they want full details for 100 bucks...i am not about to spend 8-10 hours for a 3 stage polish, 2 wax, full clay, full leather interior for 100 bucks...would i like to have the money, yeah. Would i like to work for 10 bucks an hour, no!

that is why i have 3 packages on my website...allows then the chance to choose how much they want to spend...i recommend a full detail once a year, and a maintanence detail 6 months later with waxing being done every three months...seems pretty logical to me...but hardly ever do people want to pay it...

plus i need to work on my salesmanship....I cant sell to people...but that needs to change if I want to become an entrepreneuar!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Becoming an entrepreneur means becoming an independent business manager.

Sometimes, the less choices you give a customer, the better. By giving them less choices, the prospect can either take-it or leave-it. By offering too many choices at a range of prices, most people will usually move towards the lowest priced service. Take away the choices and you end up with the price you want and at the same time, the customer knows exactly what they can expect for their money.

When it comes to managing your business, it is always a good idea to keep things as simple as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started part time in 1992, went full time in April 1994. 2000-2004 were a little tough in the winter because of unusually heavy rains during that time but since late 2004, I have been slammed. Last year, 2006, was my best year yet, up nearly 20% over 2005, which was my previous best year. Having both my kids help in the summer and my older boy through the end of November really helped. This year is starting out really well. A touch slow at first (weather related), I now have most of January booked and it is only the 10th.

I know some focus only on full details but I also have a weekly wash service and maintenance packages. I feel that doing a quality detail only to send them to a tunnel wash for regular cleaning is a losing proposition. Why not get all their vehicle appearance business? To me, not taking care of their regular car care needs is like throwing money away. Seriously, say someone has 3 cars they are willing to pay you $100 a week to wash. Why turn down $5000 a year? Now add another 3-5 customers doing that and you have a nice base income that you can count on. Plus, my weekly regulars ensure I have a minumum amount of money coming in each week, plus they tend to tip weekly and huge during Christmas. My regulars tipped me around $800 in December. Since you have regular contact with your regulars, you can also keep them informed of when their next wax or detail is due. Since you have been keeping their cars up reguarly, they are easy to wax or detail.

I ended up dropping my landline and yellow page listing, too many price shoppers. With a strong internet presence, I have people contacting me ready to make an appointment, no need to sell them. Having a good website with a nice cross-section of vehicles in the gallery, good before and after pics, etc also helps. Detailing is a visual process and the more people can see that you are competent, the more willing they are to pay top dollar.

What Jay said about a strong customer base is right on. A satisfied customer is your best salesman.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Scottwax-

I want to ask how you drive people to your site that are located close enough to you to clean their cars?

Is it first word of mouth?

SuperiorShine - didnt you just buy another shop? Is detailing bad in CA these days? Are the customers price shopping or is there no business?

Post Thanks / Like
    I started in Toronto in April of `06, so recently. The first 6 months was basically all full details, 5-7 days a week; the last 4-5 months have been a mix of full details and maintenance washes (from previous clients), still 5-6 days a week.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    The detail routes fell through. I would have completed the deal if proof of gross income where presented. I was lead on for awhile -deal fell apart.

Yes biz is tough. Low ballers are like ants around here and poeple are going for them.

I have my core of loyal clients but the new ones don`t want to pay what a trained, insured and long time detail company needs to charge to make a decent living.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jsatek
    Scottwax-

I want to ask how you drive people to your site that are located close enough to you to clean their cars?

Is it first word of mouth?

A lot of people hear about me on other forums or my customers refer them, some just search out detailers in their area and it is on my business cards.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    When I started part time about 16 years ago my goal was only to replace my $8-$10 an hour job. Making $10 an hour cleaning cars was pretty easy. My prices were dirt cheap and I kept my services very simple. Mostly washes, hand waxes and light interior shampooing. I did this on and off for about 5 years before I quit my job. Over time my prices went up and my weekly wash customers grew. Eventually I got to were all I had time for was regular washes and stopped taking on new customers. We have considered moving in the next year or two and if I have to restart in another state I would like to just do light detailing (express, maintence) and weekly washes. I like weekly washing but my customers that are biweekly, 3 weeks or monthly constantly make my schedule a nightmare. A rain day or some problems shifts them around and too many end up on the same week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Superior Fine
    I have been doing this since 1989 and 2006 was my toughest year yet. ... If 2007 is the same as last year I am going to close up shop and move on.
    Weren`t you just recently posting how you are growing, expanding into South Bay, etc? :think: :nixweiss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information