Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customer Help

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, all. I`ve got an interesting situation going on, and I would like your advice on how to handle the situation properly. I feel that I prices I quoted him are very fair, and keep in mind that the difference in the prices is $15 and $25 respectively.

Him - "Zane,

What would you charge to fully detail my 350Z? The car is pretty clean already, but it`s black. It seems the Nissan paint/finish is a tad overly sensitive. No need to do the engine since it is virutally spotless with so little miles (1200) on the car. The car has never seen rain, sand, snow, or any other adverse weather. It has rarely seen a water puddle. Let me know."

Me - "I would have to take a look at the car in person to determine the level of finish correction needed (if any). That would ultimately determine the price.

Without any paint correction, it would be about $xxx for a "Basic Detail" (+$xx if you add a paint cleaner/polish).

With paint correction, a "Premium Detail" would start at $xxx, but could be more.

(I included a link to the services on my website here)

I`d be glad to take a look at the car and give you a free estimate whenever it`s most convenient for you. Just let me know if I can help you out.

Thanks!"

Him - "Hmmm. I just visited your website and you have listed the following pricing there:

Basic Exterior Detail (Starting at $xx*)

• Wash

• Clay Bar Surface Preparation

• One Coat of Carnauba Wax or Sealant

• Gloss Spray

• Tires Dressed

• Windows Cleaned

• Carpet/Mats Vacuumed

Premium Exterior Detail (Starting at $xxx*)

• Wash

• One or Two Step Paint Polish Process (swirl removal, oxidation, etc.)

• Gloss Spray

• Tires Dressed

• Windows Cleaned

• Carpet/Mats Vacuumed

Am I missing something here, especially considering the small size of a 350Z?"

Me - "My "Starting At" prices are based on smaller vehicles (ie. compact cars).

Thanks!"

Him - "Ok. Compact cars are typically denoted by a wheelbase of 100-105 inches. The 350Z is 104.3 inches. The 350Z is a compact car. So, what am I missing here?"

Me - "Based on the amount of surface area on the Nissans and the approximate time it would take to complete either detail, the prices are $100 and $150+.

Thanks!"

How would you proceed?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would let them know that every paint is diffrent and every paint needs it own special care. To provide the best for the 350z the prices will be........

I have worked with nissan paint before as i have a nissan. Im not such a fan. I dunno why its no harder or softer then most paints its just weird to work with.. i cant even explain it

Post Thanks / Like
    "Did you want my services or do you want to price shop?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Well you`ve told the guy what the starting prices are for a car of his make and model and offered to personally look at the car to give him a free estimate; I`m not sure you should do anything else. It sounds to me as if the guy wants to haggle or low ball your price. The guy can afford to tag, insure, and drive a 350z but $25 is going to push him over the brink. If I were you and I never heard anything from him again, I wouldn`t loose a second of sleep over it. After he takes it to some local hack who will fix it good for $50 you might just hear from him then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    "Did you want my services or do you want to price shop?"

Yup. If he wants quality he will not try to nickel and dime you.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    YOU - "MR. Client, would you pay $site price as a starting price my services on a compact car?"

MR. Client - "Yes"

YOU - "Great, bring the car over at 3:30pm today so I can get a good idea of what it needs. We can discuss in person what will work best for you and your car."

You committed to nothing, now you have the car, customer, and a chance to sell a job. IF he barks, let him go away. He sounds like to much of a pain in the a$$ to work with anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like he`ll nitpick at AFTER the detail at this point. I would send back:

"I base the size of a vehicle on what I consider a compact vehicle to be, not what the industry standard is. If I based my services solely on wheelbase I could potentially lose money on a job, which is why I determine what is what, Im sure you can understand this. If you would like to have your car detailed then my services for a 350Z start at $XXX, however.. there are other factors that will determine the price on the job, I need to see the car in person to determine this. If you are interested then you can call me. Thank you."
    -2002 35th Anniversary SS Camaro Limited Edition-

-651rwhp/567rwtq @ 6400rpm.

-D1SC Procharger-Custom Cam-FMIC-6.0L Heads-9psi-

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I would choose not to do the detail unless the customer is someone you think will bring in referral business. Judging by his e-mails I would take the bet that he will be more trouble than he is worth down the road.

I can understand why you might choose to pursue him as a client though, in which case I would just tell him you`re not willing to move on your prices, but if he is looking for a lower cost job you may be able to refer him elsewhere. If he chooses to have you do the work just stick to your guns.

I really don`t think he`ll be worth it though, and your prices seem way more than fair anyway.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaneO
    Hey, all. I`ve got an interesting situation going on, and I would like your advice on how to handle the situation properly. I feel that I prices I quoted him are very fair, and keep in mind that the difference in the prices is $15 and $25 respectively.

Him - "Zane,

What would you charge to fully detail my 350Z? The car is pretty clean already, but it`s black. It seems the Nissan paint/finish is a tad overly sensitive. No need to do the engine since it is virutally spotless with so little miles (1200) on the car. The car has never seen rain, sand, snow, or any other adverse weather. It has rarely seen a water puddle. Let me know."

Me - "I would have to take a look at the car in person to determine the level of finish correction needed (if any). That would ultimately determine the price.

Without any paint correction, it would be about $xxx for a "Basic Detail" (+$xx if you add a paint cleaner/polish).

With paint correction, a "Premium Detail" would start at $xxx, but could be more.

(I included a link to the services on my website here)

I`d be glad to take a look at the car and give you a free estimate whenever it`s most convenient for you. Just let me know if I can help you out.

Thanks!"

Him - "Hmmm. I just visited your website and you have listed the following pricing there:

Basic Exterior Detail (Starting at $xx*)

• Wash

• Gloss Spray

• Tires Dressed

• Windows Cleaned

• Carpet/Mats Vacuumed

Premium Exterior Detail (Starting at $xxx*)

• Wash

• One or Two Step Paint Polish Process (swirl removal, oxidation, etc.)

• Gloss Spray

• Tires Dressed

• Windows Cleaned

• Carpet/Mats Vacuumed

Am I missing something here, especially considering the small size of a 350Z?"

Me - "My "Starting At" prices are based on smaller vehicles (ie. compact cars).

Thanks!"

Him - "Ok. Compact cars are typically denoted by a wheelbase of 100-105 inches. The 350Z is 104.3 inches. The 350Z is a compact car. So, what am I missing here?"

Me - "Based on the amount of surface area on the Nissans and the approximate time it would take to complete either detail, the prices are $100 and $150+.

Thanks!"

How would you proceed?

While I want to make as much money as I can, people like him I send to the compatition. Anyone who is able to pay for a 350Z and treats me like that deserves and idiot to butcher up their car.

You do top notch work Z! Don`t sell yourself short.

You deserve more respect.

m2c

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 35TH LE
    Sounds like he`ll nitpick at AFTER the detail at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Picus
    I would take the bet that he will be more trouble than he is worth down the road.

That`s my initial feeling.

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems this is how it is ending:

Him - "I would be agreeable to $xxx for a Premium Detail for the Z-car."

Me - "Thank you very much for your interest and consideration. I do appreciate it.

I think you might be better accomodated by xxxxxxx or one of the other detailing establishments in town.

Have a great evening!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Very well handled... I would NEVER let a customer tell me what they will pay. Im not so sure I could have been as nice as you after he tried to bargain my rate.
    -2002 35th Anniversary SS Camaro Limited Edition-

-651rwhp/567rwtq @ 6400rpm.

-D1SC Procharger-Custom Cam-FMIC-6.0L Heads-9psi-

Post Thanks / Like
    Posting your prices on your detailing website only invites someone to focus on the price of the services you offer. It is much better to remain focused on the quality of your work, not the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaneO
    It seems this is how it is ending:

Him - "I would be agreeable to $xxx for a Premium Detail for the Z-car."

Me - "Thank you very much for your interest and consideration. I do appreciate it.

I think you might be better accomodated by xxxxxxx or one of the other detailing establishments in town.

Have a great evening!"

I have found is some cases that if you stand your ground you will still get the work and gain a whole new leval of respect from the customer.

It will probably drive this guy nuts that you turned him down.

Glad to see you didn`t drop your pants. Every time a detailer stands his ground it helps us all out. To many people out there with cheep peices.

Good job.:2thumbs:

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Authorized Modesta Paint Coatings Applier.

Post Thanks / Like
    As soon as I read his second reply about *price*, I knew *exaclty* what to do--you handled it beautifully. Price and value are two different things. I have pretty much narrowed my business down to clients who say "when can you fit me in?" When I am finished, they say "how much do I owe you?" People who aren`t willing to pay for quality, are not your customers--they are simply price shoppers.

I can`t wait to hear how he replies, or better yet how he deals with the local hack shops "detailing" his Z. If he comes back after having it "detailed" and wants you to fix it--double the price.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information