Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Customer Help

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya, definitely handled the right way. I think we`ve all learned the hard way that it`s best not to move on price.

ebpcivicsi - that`s the best kind of customer, and it seems most Autopians have put themselves in a bracket of quality work where they get those kinds of people, rather than bargian hunters.

I`m sure we all get the occasional haggler though (I know I do!).
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Again, thanks for all the comments and feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by mirrorfinishman
    Posting your prices on your detailing website only invites someone to focus on the price of the services you offer. It is much better to remain focused on the quality of your work, not the price.

I have thought about this many times. I feel that without a ballpark figure, many people would pass right by without even asking, but after this episode, I`m going to remove the "starting at" prices for a trial-period.

Here`s the new header for my Services page:

"At Shine Shoppe, quality work is top priority. Every job is treated individually, and prices are based on vehicle size, vehicle condition, and services needed/requested. For specific pricing on your vehicle, please call or email for a free estimate."

Post Thanks / Like
    Good customer control ZaneO.

You should pick and choose who you do business with.

Post Thanks / Like
    ZaneO, FWIW I don`t post any prices on my site either--if you have to ask it`s too expensive, right?
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Another idea is to post some pictures of cheap detail jobs, what they cost, and what they cost to fix. I think having prices on the site is good because customers have a ballpark idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaneO
    I feel that without a ballpark figure, many people would pass right by without even asking, but after this episode, I`m going to remove the "starting at" prices for a trial-period.

Since good detailing customers are usually not that sensitive to pricing, there is really no advantage to displaying your prices.

Here is a true story. When I first started in business a long long time ago, a good friend of mine explained to me his point of view about advertising prices. What he basically said was that many times a customer is immediately turned off by the price. And that when they see the price, in their own mind they have already decided that there is no way they are going to pay that price for your service.

So based on my friend`s advice, I have never advertised my detailing prices. Personally, I think it has been the right choice. By not posting my prices it has allowed me to constantly remain focused on offering a quailty service. Even when a prospective customer contacts me and asks about the price I will avoid answering the price question until I have been given a chance to understand their needs and explain how I can meet and exceed their expectations.

Good, long term detailing customers understand from the very start that it is all about the quality of the service you are offering. And whether or not you can meet their needs and keep them satisfied.

Hey, my friend has been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Frank!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, this thread has me wondering if I should remove my prices!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Picus
    Hmm, this thread has me wondering if I should remove my prices!

It is not an easy choice when you are already displaying your prices. The thing to think about is just trying to always focus on the quality of what it is you are offering. That is really the key. By always focusing on the quality, you end up taking the attention away from the price. That is basically all you want to do.

As you can see from Zane`s example in the original post, as soon as the conversation turns to price, things can sometimes get out of control. By constantly bringing the conversation back to your focus on quality and how you can meet the needs of the customer, you will always be in control and never have to feel like you have to settle for less of a price just to get the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn’t recommend listing a price for anything but a "Sale Special". It can come back to bite you if you are not CERTAIN that that is what you need to make. A detailing business isn’t run like a store selling a loaf of bread or dry cleaning a shirt.

Take a look at the home contractor ads in your local Pennysaver. I know in my area, the home contractors you want working on your house do not have ads in there. The guys that post prices are so ridiculously cheap and their work reflects it. I just saw a $4,995 full bath remodel ad today. In reality an average full bath in a home you plan on living in will cost you $8,000-12,000 in this part of the world.

It really depends on your quality of work and your clientele. For my business, each client gets a different price because each client has different needs and expectations.

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys bring up some very good points, definitely something to think about. I don`t want to go too far OT though!

Post Thanks / Like
    on the other hand of franks side, if you dont post prices, people usually equate that to higher pricing, and may not call you for that reason....there are always two sides to the coin!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    on the other hand of franks side, if you dont post prices, people usually equate that to higher pricing, and may not call you for that reason....there are always two sides to the coin!!!!

That is exactly the point. When you are trying to run a profitable business, you really do not want those customers anyway. The key is to only attract those prospects who are able and willing to pay the prices you charge. It does not make very good business sense to waste your time dealing with yellow pages type price shoppers.

toyotaguy; Thanks for taking the time to share your insight on the subject. Interesting point of view.

Post Thanks / Like
    Price shopper, really not worth dealing with. I`ve actually turned off my business land line with a yellow page listing because all I was getting was price shoppers. When I get referrals from other customers (which make up the bulk of my new business), I don`t have to sell them on anything, they want to make an appointment. Very similar with internet business. Normally, someone who has been to my website at least has an idea of the level of work I do based on the photo gallery and they too are basically ready to set an appointment.

I tried to accomodate price shoppers in the past but it never seems to be worth it. I hear all the lines "my car is really clean already", "it only needs a quick wax", "c`mon, it`s a small car", etc. They tell you it is a small easy job but when you get there, it`s "since you are here, can you...." but they don`t want to pay anymore. :hairpull
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information