Thread: Organization

Post Thanks / Like
    #1). I am an organization freak and when I`m not organized I start to freak out. (I know its weird) I was wondering if you guys used any type of software to book your clients, I guess this is for the mobile detailers. Right now I just write them down in my phone but I`m starting to get more and more calls so I`m kind of pulling out my hair here trying to be organized. I didnt take any type of business classes and all my comp skill I left in high school, so dont jump down my throat about it cause everything else I`m doing just fine with.

#2). Also I was wondering if you walk with your clients around the car and check off scratches or dents etc. before you start. Most of the time its no big deal but this one company has like 8 cars they want me to do (dentist office) and I dont want to have them all hanging out waiting their turn. If they are busy inside I`m not going to wait till they have a sec to come out and walk around. Thats time I could be working on their car. Is that wrong?

#3).One more thing. I`m hoping to land a place with a parking garage pretty soon and was going to go to the top level to work but then question 2 comes into play, and I was going to get the tags from dealerships to hang on the rearview with the same number on the key ring. Do you guys have a different method you wouldnt mind sharing with me?

If I`m stepping over the boundries by asking what you all do please tell me. I`m just trying to get a little more organized and it was fine when I wasn`t doing so much but now its getting a little hard. Thank you for your time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileJay
    #1). I am an organization freak and when I`m not organized I start to freak out. (I know its weird) I was wondering if you guys used any type of software to book your clients, I guess this is for the mobile detailers. Right now I just write them down in my phone but I`m starting to get more and more calls so I`m kind of pulling out my hair here trying to be organized. I didnt take any type of business classes and all my comp skill I left in high school, so dont jump down my throat about it cause everything else I`m doing just fine with.

I am at a huge (dis?)advantage as I am an Apple user. I have an iBook that I carry with me in my van. I use Quickbooks for invoicing/estimates/etc, iCal for scheduling and Address Book for contact management. I will soon be switching to FileMaker and having a custom-built database developed as my clientele has almost outgrown my current setup. The iBook is backed up to my workstation and contact/appt info is backed to a Palm for mobile management. I too freak out when my organization is disorganized.

#2). Also I was wondering if you walk with your clients around the car and check off scratches or dents etc. before you start. Most of the time its no big deal but this one company has like 8 cars they want me to do (dentist office) and I dont want to have them all hanging out waiting their turn. If they are busy inside I`m not going to wait till they have a sec to come out and walk around. Thats time I could be working on their car. Is that wrong?

If you have "eight vehicles to do", I am going to assume that you aren`t throwing serious paint correction into them. If you have established a washing schedule with this office (or anyone) and the vehicle owners do not initially have time to go through the present damages, carry a digital camera, take a pic of the plate and any blemishes thereafter. . . repeat for any vehicles with damage as needed. worst case, you delete the images a few week later. . .. after you track doc down to coerce him into allowing you to remedy the issues. :cough If multiple washes go by without a discussion, leave an estimate for suggested services.

#3).One more thing. I`m hoping to land a place with a parking garage pretty soon and was going to go to the top level to work but then question 2 comes into play, and I was going to get the tags from dealerships to hang on the rearview with the same number on the key ring. Do you guys have a different method you wouldnt mind sharing with me?

No experience; sounds good though.

If I`m stepping over the boundries by asking what you all do please tell me.

Boundaries!? The only boundaries I have- Stay outta my van and don`t ask me about other clients!!!
    -Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a simple little day planner that I carry for my detail apts. only. Its more of a little calendar then a planner... no pockets, velcro latch, no pen holder. I was like you... Im a organization freak too and when the business started rolling in I started missing calls and losing track so I bought the pocket calendar. I only detail on weekends so at the beginning of the month I highlight the days that I want to take jobs on... and when I book a customer I simply write their name and car type on that date. The I write their name, #, car, and address in the back under the notes section. I keep all their info so I can do a follow up in 2-3 months. I also leave my pocket calendar on the kitchen counter incase my wife has something planned, if she does she simply pencils in what it is on that date so I dont plan details on that day. Works out good.

Its small like a little not pad so I carry it everywhere I go.... to work, to the store, in the car, etc.

I dont like the idea of a software program because youll need a PC nearby to check on the spot. I can take a phone call from a customer and book a date while in line to buy groceries.

I dont think so.

I dont normally walk the car first... it depends. Ive had customers throw me the keys and not bother me one bit. Ive had others that walked ME around the car and then posted up in the garage with a folding chair and watched the WHOLE time. It was wierd!

If I see anything out of the ordinary I will point it out and give my opinion... if nothing is jumping out at me I dont worry about it. However... I ALWAYS do a test section and show the customer what to expect. Normally they are so blown away by a quick little test that they are confident enough not to hound me during the whole thing.

I see that you probably wont want to do this test section for all of these people due to time constraints. Simply put I would take all their keys and explain to them that it will take a LONG time to do these cars and they will be picked randomly UNLESS any of them have a reason/request to be done earlier. Of course you may just want to have them compile a list in the order they are to be done... let them figure it out BEFORE you get there.

If I`m stepping over the boundries by asking what you all do please tell me. I`m just trying to get a little more organized and it was fine when I wasn`t doing so much but now its getting a little hard. Thank you for your time.

When they make the list have them describe the car on the list (make, model, color and any special things they want addressed) and number the keys accordingly with masking take and a pen when you receive them.

Good Luck! :xyxthumbs
    -2002 35th Anniversary SS Camaro Limited Edition-

-651rwhp/567rwtq @ 6400rpm.

-D1SC Procharger-Custom Cam-FMIC-6.0L Heads-9psi-

Post Thanks / Like
    anyone use a computer contact management program....which one?

Post Thanks / Like
    I really appreciate the help with all of this. AMDin93103 I dont have an ibook but I was probably going to have a stand in my van for my laptop and just sink to and from my phone, now I just need the software. No the 8 vehicles are not paint correction, they are just washes. All the girls at the office want there cars "detailed" I had to explain the difference LOL.

35TH LE I should have posted this first before going out and paying for an expensive phone, oh well I can write it off lol. I like your idea of the list and the #`d keys. I think I`m going to try to use the system of the dealer tags but get some made with the vehicle, color, what they are getting done etc. as you suggested.

Thank you again for your responses, you don`t know how much at ease I am right now. If you guys lived in Houston I would take you out to lunch LOL. Anyway thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    for the orginzation thing, my two sugetions would be to either get some sort of hand help such as a palm pilot which comes with software you can you. If you are more like me (i am good with technology but there is somthing to say for a pen and paper) i use a daytimer. It has everyday and the itmes listed out. for it will say the day then undeneeth it wil haev ever half hour marked. I just write when i start and block out an estimated time.

As for people watching, they get bored i promise. Give them no more then a half hous and there going to be board stiff so I wouldnt worry abot it

And the board on the wall with hooks is an awosome idea. I hate when i have more theb 1 client and keys get moved around (im a little ocd so i dont like it any way but mine)

Good luck with the decsions and let us know how it all goes

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah i thought it would be better if i had the palm pilot and phone all in one....now i realize i cant talk to them and write down the info in the designated areas at the same time. But yeah i have in my phone tasks for the day, calender and i can do the half hour thing as well. i just need a bit more software, well i want a bit more. i love technology as well and the more things i have the cooler it is.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    #1). No, I do not use any type of software to book my clients. I simply hand write them into a scheduling calendar.

#2). No, I do not walk my clients around the car and check off scratches or dents etc. before I start. The only time that becomes necessary is when you either have customers you cannot trust, or you have customers who cannot trust you. Get the right customers and you will not need to walk your clients around their cars.

#3). Working on the private property of a third party is risky business. Maybe you should be thinking more about insurance and liability issues, instead of organizational concerns.

Thread Information