Post Thanks / Like
    I have a deep gouge from a high concrete curb in my front bumper and was hoping some of you with body shops or knowledge of fillers could reccommend me a filler to use. I was looking at SEM polyester glaze, but I`m not sure...I have a post in the detailing forum showing pics of my bumper incase you need to see what I am filling in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a reason why you don`t want a body shop to do the repair? No offense, but I`m sure it won`t cost that much to remove the bumper, repair it, spot refinish it and then clear the entire panel. If you plan on just filling it and spray painting it, it won`t look good and won`t last long. Just my opinion. Is this piece painted or textured?
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    how much do you think a job like this would cost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Whats the ISO code on the back of the part?

Post Thanks / Like
    really it depends on the gouge, if its very minor.. some regular body filler will work.

if its deeper I use a plastic welder to fill in the gouge , sand it even , then put some body filler.

you can spot blend it.. i would suggest getting some aerosol from paintscratch.com. and some clear.

see if they can put a blending agent or some reducer in an aerosol can also.

I use a Mini-jet, but you dont want to spend the money to buy one for only one touch-up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDrew06
    how much do you think a job like this would cost?

2 hours repair-$80

2.5 hours refinish - $100

2 hours to R & I Bumper-$100

Less than $350 with materials.

A small price to pay to avoid your vehicle looking like crap.

Post Thanks / Like
    well....I don`t have 350 to dispose of right now...so for now I`m going to try and fix it myself, I`ll post pics up when I`m done. And if my finished result is not acceptable by me then I`ll just wait till the summer is over and have a shop do it....I`m moving across the country in a week (driving my car) so I don`t really have the spare money or time to let my car sit in a shop for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDrew06
    well....I don`t have 350 to dispose of right now...so for now I`m going to try and fix it myself, I`ll post pics up when I`m done. And if my finished result is not acceptable by me then I`ll just wait till the summer is over and have a shop do it....I`m moving across the country in a week (driving my car) so I don`t really have the spare money or time to let my car sit in a shop for now.

I don`t disagree with your decision one bit. The most important thing to remember when doing this repair is to make sure that you don`t get overspray on any of the vehicle. Make sure it`s completely taped off and covered. Spray bombs have a tendancy to travel.

Post Thanks / Like
    But don`t box mask..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick Update....I ended up using SEM Flexible Polyester Glaze as my filler, said it bonded to PP which is what my bumper plastic is. I did three rounds of application/sanding to get it perfect, so right now you cannot feel a difference where those gouges are. I put a couple coats of primer over that. Once My paint arrives I`m going to sand down the primer, apply a coat of primer sealer, and then paint away. Again I`m using touch up paint for this, so I`m going to wet sand after the paint has dried to make it even, and polish the **** out of it.

But so Far so good....I`ll post pics when I`m done, hopefully by thursday because I leave saturday.

Thread Information