Post Thanks / Like
    Plain and simple:

___[company name]_____ is not responsible for anything while at you the customer`s residence. The maximum compensation you the customer can receive is the cost of services performed on the vehicle.

x__________

-------

or some other blanket statement. I know the majority of you that are established have insurance and much more in-depth documents, but I would tell the customer up front why I need such a blanket statement and explain that my policies will be changing soon but as of right now I need total protection.

Or something of that nature.
    Louis Tovar - Smooth Reflections

Mobile Detailing and Paint Rejuvenation

Post Thanks / Like
    overly general statements like that sound good in theory, but i suspect you can still be found liable. lawyers have a way of working around generalities. also, if you are negligent it won`t matter what the customer signs.

*i`m not a pro and don`t have insurance...so i can be completely wrong.
    2007 Lexus IS350 | Tungsten Pearl

2012 Honda Accord LX-S | Polished Metal Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    paradigm is completely correct!.....general statements may sound good to you cuz you think it will cover all your bases if something goes bad.....WRONG!...it leaves you more succeptible to getting screwed cuz that general statement can be turned against you becasue you were not specific enough with certain aspects.....

go through a detail and try to pinpoint everything that could be taken in a bad way and kepp notes and use that, and then as things come along just keep adding to it...
    AZ`s FINEST IN AUTO RECONDITIONING AND DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like
    Lawyers can always find loop holes to eat you up alive. What I find to be really funny is when I go into a shop and it`s clearly posted that "they are not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged items". They think just because it`s posted that they are NOT liable! If you have custody and control of a vehicle, your on the hook (to a point) if something happens to it. If you are detailing a car at your shop and it gets stolen, it`s your insurance that`s paying. Not the person that owns the vehicle. It`s the owner`s right to go through their own carrier and have each insurance company subrogate for damages with each other. I think you should have an attorney draw up a contract that fits your line of business and go with it.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m no pro, but thought I`d throw this in there. In a Business class I had a couple of semesters ago, my instructor was talking about the signs at Walmart that say they aren`t liable for any damage etc....to your car. He said, that legally, they are completely liable, but most people will believe the sign is right and not pursue it if something happens in their parking lot. (I know I thought it was true). Of course he said if an attendant hits your car with a shopping cart, they are liable and a lawyer can easily get them to pay damages. It would probably be the same with the general statement above. You`d still be liable, but if something happened, the person might think there`s nothing they can do and not pursue it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by deadlock32
    Plain and simple:

___[company name]_____ is not responsible for anything while at you the customer`s residence. The maximum compensation you the customer can receive is the cost of services performed on the vehicle.

x__________

-------

or some other blanket statement. I know the majority of you that are established have insurance and much more in-depth documents, but I would tell the customer up front why I need such a blanket statement and explain that my policies will be changing soon but as of right now I need total protection.

Or something of that nature.

Contracts such as that don`t really have a lot of value. If you can be proven to be negligent, you will be responsible regardless of what the customer signs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Basically what everyone is saying is to get insured! It is the only safe way (and most legal). I am not insured myself, but would like to be. However, I dont drive the vehicle if I can avoid it and for the most part, I could pay for any damage I cause outside of crashing the car!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by deadlock32
    I know the majority of you that are established have insurance and much more in-depth documents, but I would tell the customer up front why I need such a blanket statement and explain that my policies will be changing soon but as of right now I need total protection.

Louis,

What is it you will be telling the customer as to why you need such a blanket statement?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrorfinishman
    Louis,

What is it you will be telling the customer as to why you need such a blanket statement?

well I decided to launch earlier than I wanted to because my Main work`s store was closing. And I would let them know at the current time I cannot afford to pay any injuries or really anything too pricy right now. I did get another job so I`ll consider insurance sooner, but most of that money goes to school, car insurance, and personal expenses.
    Louis Tovar - Smooth Reflections

Mobile Detailing and Paint Rejuvenation

Post Thanks / Like
    Louis,

You may find out rather quickly that it may be very difficult to build a following of good detailing customers based on the fact that you intend to tell them that you cannot afford to be responsible for anything that happens while you are at their residence. That just does not sound like a very good marketing approach.

Thread Information