Post Thanks / Like
    When it comes to figuring out a rate to charge for a detail, most people suggest hourly rate x hours + product cost. But my question is, how do you figure out how much product you`ve truely used for each detail? I`m not talking about how to calculate cost, I know that part. I`m talking about the amount of product you use. Do you just have a rough estimate of how much money would cover the products before hand? What if you have to make 2-3 passes of polish for swirl removal?

Obviously, with shampoo it`s pretty easy since you`re measuring out ounces to add to your water. But for stuff like polish, leather cleaner/conditioner, quick detailers, clay bars, etc. it`s more difficult.

I`m just trying to get an idea how to calculate costs for products used per detail.

Thanks in advance!
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    This is sothing that will come with time. I know how much product I use (not to the oz but about how much of a bottle). It all pepends on the person, the car, and the condition. I know if a car is in rough shape i will most likely use more clay and more swirl remoer. To know wxaclty how much product is needed will only come with time and expericnce. I find that estimating predicted use is a good way.Its hard in this business to keep a constant supplie of product (its easy to tell bottle but i mean in a more accountig sense of the erm lol ) . Good luck with figuring it out and sorry i cant be of more help

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem, I knew it was hard go gage. Like you said, there are a lot of factors. I`m thinking of getting small sample bottles and putting ounce markings on them (for waxes, polishes, etc.). This way I could get a rough idea of how much I`m using each time.

Anyway, thanks for the response.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Product should be a very small part of the equation. Even if you were buying 16oz. bottles and paying "full retail" you wouldn`t likely go through more than $5.00 of product on a full exterior detail. Even if you grossly under estimated and used twice the product, you`d have only under charged by $5.00. And this is at full retail on small quantities. Once you get into "pro" amounts/costs, the cost is even less. What you need to know is how long it will take you, and charge accordingly. If you take twice as long to do the job as you expected, then you really start to "lose" money.

As for the accounting for product, if you use a clear dispenser bottle, just mark graduations on the side using a ruler and marker. No need to buy another bottle. If it`s a 16oz. bottle, divide the bottle by 16 and you get an idea how many ounces you use per detail/day/etc.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like
    -Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, much appreciated!!!
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny, I mentioned what I was about to in this thread in the last one. When I calculated product cost I kept coming back to the fact that I spend more on laundry detergent than anything else. Gotta wash them mf`s!
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    The only time I spent more than $5 in total product cost when doing a full normal detail was when I dropped my clay on the ground!
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    For the last couple of years, i charge for shop supplies. Presently in is 7% of total price per hour. I try to keep it around the price quoted + or - a little, but it depends on the job. If i am doing a ABC decon. the price goes up. Full polish, tree sap, pin stripe removal etc.

You also have to take into account the cost of water, heat, light , rent or gasoline.

Around here the shop supply rate to get your car fixed is 10%. Not sure what that would include besides some brake cleaner or WD-40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another way to look at this is to keep track of how much you are spending for detailing supplies compared to the total number of vehicles detailed. Of course, doing it this way is after the fact, however it does give you an accurate reading of your product cost per car.

Let`s say that over a six month period of time you detail 100 vehicles and during that time you spend about $1,000 for supplies, such as cleaners, polishes, waxes, etc. That works out to about $10 per vehicle. Doing it this way is a lot easier once you have established your business.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is all great information. I really appreciate everybody`s input!!! :2thumbs:
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Thread Information